to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2013, 03:50 AM
Mark Harrison
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined Jun 2010
2,269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snipeworm View Post
This may not be the best place to ask this but I know you guys have the answer. How can one get say, 16 channels from a radio when most only have the function of 10 or so manipulative controls(knobs, switches, levers). Thanks for the education.
One control might manipulate more than one output. This seems to be more common on big models and on gliders. For example, a scale landing gear might have different channels controlling the doors and retracts.

PS, I've got zero experience with this, so I'm sure somebody will have some better examples, but this is what I've heard.
marhar is offline Find More Posts by marhar
Old Feb 03, 2013, 05:12 AM
France, Ile-de-France, Plaisir
Joined Sep 2010
461 Posts
Quote:
This may not be the best place to ask this but I know you guys have the answer. How can one get say, 16 channels from a radio when most only have the function of 10 or so manipulative controls(knobs, switches, levers). Thanks for the education.
When I look at the image of the FrSky X9D, I see:
  • Two sticks -> four inputs
  • Two auxiliary pots in front
  • Two lateral sliders
  • Eight levers
  • Four trim switches

This gives eight analog inputs (variable) and at least twelve digital inputs (on-off), fourteen if there is one three-pos lever or sixteen if there are two three-pos levers.

There are more inputs than proposed channels!
jpparisy is offline Find More Posts by jpparisy
Old Feb 03, 2013, 01:04 PM
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,856 Posts
Mixing - A very simple example is when you have 2 servos for the ailerons, but you only use one stick to control them, but the radio mixes the 2 channels together.

Now lets push that example further. We can have flight modes that change how channels are used. If I flip a switch that is controlling a flight mode, I can change what a knob, slider or stick movement does. If the switch it up, it slider might control my flaps, but if the switch is down, it might control my camber, or spoilers, or whatever.

Often times I have mixes where a single stick movement is controlling 5 different channels. (Crow)

Hope that helps.

For the most part, few people are going to need more than 6 or 8 channels on a given plane. But it very handy to have the extra channels, and since it does not cost anything extra to have them, why not?

-Wayne
Rotozuk is offline Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 03, 2013, 02:18 PM
|Taranis|>|All other Tx's|
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
6,779 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotozuk View Post

Often times I have mixes where a single stick movement is controlling 5 different channels. (Crow)

-Wayne
You need to try a split rudder so you can crow with 7 channels.
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
Old Feb 03, 2013, 02:42 PM
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,856 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott page View Post
You need to try a split rudder so you can crow with 7 channels.
Too much work for me.

Besides, with 85 degree flaps we are coming down anyhow.
Rotozuk is offline Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 03, 2013, 03:33 PM
Picture a worm wearing goggles
United States, CA, Roseville
Joined Feb 2012
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpparisy View Post
When I look at the image of the FrSky X9D, I see:
  • Two sticks -> four inputs
  • Two auxiliary pots in front
  • Two lateral sliders
  • Eight levers
  • Four trim switches

This gives eight analog inputs (variable) and at least twelve digital inputs (on-off), fourteen if there is one three-pos lever or sixteen if there are two three-pos levers.

There are more inputs than proposed channels!
is that really the way to look at it? A switch that controls rates wouldn't really be a channel would it?
snipeworm is online now Find More Posts by snipeworm
Old Feb 03, 2013, 04:16 PM
Wexford, PA
Joined Mar 2001
518 Posts
Quote:
is that really the way to look at it? A switch that controls rates wouldn't really be a channel would it?
Yes, IMO that is the way to look at it.

Who says a switch has to control rates? My Switch B for example could be used for rudder dual rates, but if I didn't need rudder dual rates why couldn't I assign it to a channel if I need to? I have many planes that don't have rates or expo assigned. What a switch can do is a function of the radio software, not the switch. In a non-computer radio a rate switch was only a rate switch. In a (well programmed) computer radio the user decides what a switch does, not the radio designer.

Jim
Jim Taylor is offline Find More Posts by Jim Taylor
Old Feb 03, 2013, 07:08 PM
Tassie Electric, Heli, Glider
Hobart, Australia
Joined Oct 2002
2,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Taylor View Post
Yes, IMO that is the way to look at it.

Who says a switch has to control rates? My Switch B for example could be used for rudder dual rates, but if I didn't need rudder dual rates why couldn't I assign it to a channel if I need to? I have many planes that don't have rates or expo assigned. What a switch can do is a function of the radio software, not the switch. In a non-computer radio a rate switch was only a rate switch. In a (well programmed) computer radio the user decides what a switch does, not the radio designer.

Jim
Jim, well said and another benefit of open source firmware where you are not constrained to what rate switches can do!
ChrisJ800 is online now Find More Posts by ChrisJ800
Old Feb 03, 2013, 09:09 PM
Wexford, PA
Joined Mar 2001
518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJ800 View Post
Jim, well said and another benefit of open source firmware where you are not constrained to what rate switches can do!
Letting the user define switch functions is not a new idea. My 8 year old Futaba 9C has default functions assigned to switches, but allows them to be easily reassigned to other switches or pots and allows channels above 4 to be assigned pretty much anywhere. However, my Optic 6 and DX6i are not near as reconfigurable, but in fairness they are much less expensive radios.

That's one of the advantages of open source, it can enable the functionally of expensive firmware/software without the high cost. I don't (yet) have a radio that can run open source firmware, but as an open source advocate (I've been running Linux since 1994 and the .99 kernel) I have been following its development with great interest. With Frsky modules in the 9C and Optic6 and the DX6i for DSM2 ultra micro plug and play I have no real need for another radio but I kind of like the idea of a good quality open source transmitter, which is why I follow this thread, waiting to see if the Frsky's turn out to be as good as everybody thinks they are going to be. Perhaps Wayne will actually have one in Toledo in April to look at.

Jim
Jim Taylor is offline Find More Posts by Jim Taylor
Old Feb 03, 2013, 09:19 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,388 Posts
(double post)
Atomic Skull is online now Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Old Feb 03, 2013, 09:20 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,388 Posts
Can we please get the X9DA in a dark matte color and not that god awful cheap looking silver? Like black, or dark military grey green, or hell ANYTHING that's not silver (and no, not gold, that would be even worse)
Atomic Skull is online now Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Old Feb 03, 2013, 09:45 PM
Tinkerer of makeshift failures
Joined Jun 2012
325 Posts

I've already proposed a similar solution to Romolo one month ago. He forwarded that picture to FrSky, and I'm told that they liked the idea, and were verifying the feasibility and costs. Keep your hopes high. But also remember that form<function...
Darsh is offline Find More Posts by Darsh
Old Feb 03, 2013, 10:27 PM
efx
Rookie in training, heads up
Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2010
3,208 Posts
Plain vanilla black/silver or silver/black is fine with me, maybe a bit or red like the 9x or not. The other pimp colors...no thanks...lol. When I got my 9x I wasn't sure if I liked it or not, but it wasn't ugly, just a nice black with a bit of silver and red letters. I've learn to really like it and at least it looks good to me, and as long as I can put my name in the software that would be really good too. I guess I just like the classic black with lighter accents myself, but the silver at least won't show the dust/dirt as much as the black does. Which reminds me, I need to clean it. Well, it's very hard to clean these crevices. I'm trying it right now, at least this camera brush/blower kind of works on them. Cool, it looks brand new again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darsh View Post

I've already proposed a similar solution to Romolo one month ago. He forwarded that picture to FrSky, and I'm told that they liked the idea, and were verifying the feasibility and costs. Keep your hopes high. But also remember that form<function...
efx is offline Find More Posts by efx
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by efx; Feb 03, 2013 at 10:38 PM.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:54 PM
Suspended Account
M$ Security
Joined Jun 2010
728 Posts
there is a 9X gold edition...

Mikarro is offline Find More Posts by Mikarro
Closed Thread