Originally Posted by xairflyer View Post
We must be going to see 12ch receivers which will be nice
Oh that is going to happened.
jcervantes11 is offline Find More Posts by jcervantes11
Old Jun 24, 2012, 02:32 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2012
1,068 Posts
On the upcoming X12D, what are the chances the user interface is American designed/programmed? Is this wishful thinking?

We may have forgotten how to make cars, do math, or even win wars. But we still make badass intuitive user interfaces (see Apple, Android, Spektrum, etc.).
Left Coast DJ is offline Find More Posts by Left Coast DJ
Old Jun 24, 2012, 03:13 AM
Joined Sep 2003
1,412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Coast DJ View Post
On the upcoming X12D, what are the chances the user interface is American designed/programmed? Is this wishful thinking?

We may have forgotten how to make cars, do math, or even win wars. But we still make badass intuitive user interfaces (see Apple, Android, Spektrum, etc.).
Eww Apple. I'll be honest Apple did good with gurly easy interface same goes to Spektrum. But Frsky have people like RENATOA that speak very good english. So hopefully they'll do good. Look at Futaba leading Radio manufacture in the world. Even many others like Hitec and Airtronic english language interface is very good. But we have those that isn't really good. I have good faith on Frsky.

But for American designed and programmed could be down the future from a developer in USA who ever design opensource Firmware. I dubt Frsky will have a American designed and programmed interface.
Last edited by jcervantes11; Jun 24, 2012 at 03:18 AM.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 02:21 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,229 Posts
What do you think guys about a 6 positions pot-switch, assignable to any radio channel of course, to use to switch the flight modes in a uav/mullticopter/whatever scenario, instead the hard to program 2-3 switches mix?

Is such user interface element available in any radios on the market now ?
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Jun 25, 2012, 02:25 AM
Belgium, Flemish Region, Oosterzele
Joined Dec 2001
5,484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENATOA View Post
What do you think guys about a 6 positions pot-switch,
Please NO....
WimH is offline Find More Posts by WimH
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: That elusive thermal...
Old Jun 25, 2012, 02:27 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,229 Posts
Why so definitely no ?
Old Jun 25, 2012, 02:30 AM
Aloft Hobbies
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,813 Posts
Yeah, I really like having a 3 position switch for flight modes. camber/normal/reflex Simple and clean.
Rotozuk is offline Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: FrSky in Chicago!
Old Jun 25, 2012, 02:37 AM
Joined Sep 2003
1,412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotozuk View Post
Yeah, I really like having a 3 position switch for flight modes. camber/normal/reflex Simple and clean.
Yup I'm with Rotozuk 3 position switch is good enough. Having 6 position is just none sense. 3 position switch is good for 3 different idle up mode. Maybe some rotation pot. Perhaps three? Two sliders?
Old Jun 25, 2012, 02:51 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,229 Posts
Three switches will be at least two available, as for any serious radio.
If you don't need it (yet) surely you don't feel the need
Have you seen from the links embedded in my message what would be the purpose of a 6 positions switch, and how is done it today ?

I would love to hear what are saying the mk/uav guys, do they prefer to make the 2-3 mixes instead having a dedicated control?
Last edited by renatoa; Jun 25, 2012 at 02:57 AM.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 02:55 AM
Aloft Hobbies
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,813 Posts
I'm not against having a 6 position switch as long as I still get a normal 3 position switch.
Rotozuk is offline Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: FrSky in Chicago!
Old Jun 25, 2012, 05:43 AM
Belgium, Flemish Region, Oosterzele
Joined Dec 2001
5,484 Posts
Quote:
Why so definitely no ?
Because I do not like a rotary switch for those functions, no more, no less.Also don't like redundancy.And I like screen on top (while I'm at it...)
WimH is offline Find More Posts by WimH
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: That elusive thermal...
Old Jun 25, 2012, 07:14 AM
Slovakia
Joined Apr 2005
3,386 Posts
Quote:
What do you think guys about a 6 positions pot-switch, assignable to any radio channel of course, to use to switch the flight modes in a uav/mullticopter/whatever scenario, instead the hard to program 2-3 switches mix?

Is such user interface element available in any radios on the market now ?
What about easy to program flight phases /mixes/whatever.. ?
As for me, perhaps 3 position is stil ok, but more positions would be hard to switch RIGHT..
Anyway, freely assignable pot with some "clicky" positions added to center click, could be nice. Especially, if matched to multipoint curve - e.g. 5 point curve, then 5 positions to click..
But 6 is not a nice number at all HERE, as it has no center...

As for redundancy - may I say that I like MPX EVO? I have two rotary encoders to move through menu system or change values, but normal pushbuttons up/down (inc/dec) and Enter, are there as well and are handy..
coro is offline Find More Posts by coro
Old Jun 25, 2012, 07:39 AM
f5b-uk
United Kingdom, Dorset
Joined May 2002
3,068 Posts
I don't know how other companies do it, but my MPX p4000 has 5 flight phases assignable to any switch...and using two 3-position switches gives the you all you need. Most of the time I use only 2 or 3 phases and the one switch does all that's needed. Occasionally I use 4 phases and this is where the other switch is used. So, having a 6-position switch or rotary knob is more than I would want for most of the time. Add to this the small additional difficulty in finding the right flight mode (might have to start fully left and rotate 3-clicks to find mode 4) and I can't see it being that useful for the majority. IOW, if it is incorporated most people won't ever use it.

Mike
Mike Seale is offline Find More Posts by Mike Seale
Old Jun 25, 2012, 07:46 AM
f5b-uk
United Kingdom, Dorset
Joined May 2002
3,068 Posts
Free to locate switches whare you want them

When I flew Futaba it was very limiting having to use the switch they told you to use. Most high-end transmitters now allow you to freely assign the switches to do what you want but do they also allow you to relocate the switch to where you want it? The European-style tray transmitters have allowed this for many years but it is not often seen in the Japanese-style transmitters. For me this would be a deal-breaker if 2-position switches were fixed in positions X and Y and 3-position switches were in positions W and Z.

Mike
Mike Seale is offline Find More Posts by Mike Seale
Closed Thread