HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Jan 25, 2013, 02:16 PM
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Apr 2012
716 Posts
A few more points:
- FM signal always selects the strongest, so while antenna direction in close proximity may not be an issue of range, it still is a factor in resistance to noise pollution.
- Diversity units with multiple antennas is a good solution (chooses the best signal out of multiple antennas) that is typical on some FPV receiving stations. It may that Rx with two antennas use diversity, but I'm not sure. In which case put one wire horizontal, the other vertical, or at 90deg of each other, each has its advantages (except parallel is not as good)
- What I meant thus is that you may have one plane or one flying session for which horizontal is best and another for which vertical is best. There is no perfect for all. Or one can just choose one and make it the best compromise.
Michael V is online now Find More Posts by Michael V
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2013, 05:41 PM
USA, MA, Townsend
Joined Jan 2008
52 Posts
subd
Teambarger is offline Find More Posts by Teambarger
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:33 PM
Registered Adict
Australia, WA, Drummond Cove
Joined Jun 2012
383 Posts
Michael V
Thank you for your effort. It was very informative.
The key bits I got out of that was that you should 'try' to optimize orientation but most users would not notice the improvement and diversity is well worth the effort/cost. This explains why some high end receivers have multiple antennae / satellites.

A pity some in this forum would much prefer to flog us off saying it is far too complicated for posting in a forum. When it is more likely that they themselves don't understand it.
tignmeg is offline Find More Posts by tignmeg
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:35 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2High View Post

Now, if I am up such that I am in a thermal turn and the carbon fuse blocks one antenna, couold you not have the other receiver antenna pointing straight at the transmitter causing it to reeiver the worst possible signal?
I'm starting to prefer FRP to CF in my helicopter frames. Only a few grams weight difference, more durable in a crash and it won't shadow the radio. Less expensive too.

And you can get them in colors other than boring black.
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Last edited by Atomic Skull; Jan 25, 2013 at 07:41 PM.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 03:41 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,276 Posts
All this talk of antennae position makes me wonder why we can't have diversity on our tx as well as on out rx.
I have my antennae horizontal as more likely that I will fly high over my head then far away out to the side, but on occasion if I am laying down with plane thermaling I have to think about the orientation a bit to be safe.
Is there a reason we don't have 2 tx antennas?
nigelsheffield is online now Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
Old Jan 26, 2013, 04:37 AM
Suspended Account
M$ Security
Joined Jun 2010
728 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Skull View Post
more durable in a crash and it won't shadow the radio.
I disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelsheffield View Post

Mikarro is offline Find More Posts by Mikarro
Old Jan 26, 2013, 04:48 AM
Bleriot's R Us
Ireland, Donegal
Joined Nov 2003
1,083 Posts
Quote:
All this talk of antennae position makes me wonder why we can't have diversity on our tx as well as on out rx.
I have my antennae horizontal as more likely that I will fly high over my head then far away out to the side, but on occasion if I am laying down with plane thermaling I have to think about the orientation a bit to be safe.
Multiplex do
xairflyer is offline Find More Posts by xairflyer
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:31 PM
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Apr 2012
716 Posts
Quote:
This is my theory, but it could be wrong:
One can only have one antenna active at the time. That's what diversity does, pick the one with the strongest signal.
So you cannot have two antenna active, and while it's easy to pick the strongest signal when receiving, when transmitting there is no reason why one would be stronger than the other unless you get feedback from the receiver (and constantly pulses both) or you know where the receiver is at least. That is why.
Now I don't know what the 2 antennas purpose is on the transmitters pictured below, but I'm curious. Anyone knows?
Michael V is online now Find More Posts by Michael V
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:40 PM
Belgium, Flemish Region, Oosterzele
Joined Dec 2001
5,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael V View Post
Now I don't know what the 2 antennas purpose is on the transmitters pictured below, but I'm curious. Anyone knows?
Transmitter diversity...
WimH is online now Find More Posts by WimH
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: That elusive thermal...
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:58 PM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,994 Posts
The transmitters using two antennas use them switched, not simultaneously.
Using both in the same time will make multipath even worse.

When you see two or more antennas in professional tower, those are antenna arrays, and the placement is uber critical to make hem work as only one.
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:25 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Oct 2010
1,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tignmeg View Post
A pity some in this forum would much prefer to flog us off saying it is far too complicated for posting in a forum. When it is more likely that they themselves don't understand it.
Whats a pity, is people want to be spoon fed on a forum, without doing the research themselves, and actually learning!!

Regardless, everything Ren and I have stated still holds true!!

Even when considering Rx diversity, and the way most people fly, if the antennae are placed at 90deg., the average position of the two, with an acceptable receiving pattern will be vertical. Even if one is pointed down, its still vertically polarized. There are some cases where the average will be horizontal, but that should only apply if you were careless in you Rx antenna placement.
KKUSA is offline Find More Posts by KKUSA
Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:54 PM
Registered Adict
Australia, WA, Drummond Cove
Joined Jun 2012
383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKUSA View Post
Regardless, everything Ren and I have stated still holds true!!
Maybe that would have been true if there had actually been anything said that was actually constructive.

Luckily, most who have posted here are smarter than me and just ignored the rhetoric and arrogance.
tignmeg is offline Find More Posts by tignmeg
Old Jan 26, 2013, 09:13 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2011
648 Posts
Maybe KKUSA you're talking about Rx with two antennas. Mine only have one.
BrettAltea is offline Find More Posts by BrettAltea
Old Jan 26, 2013, 09:52 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Aug 2009
961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xairflyer View Post
Multiplex do
As does the Futaba 8J and the Spektrum DX18.
pach is online now Find More Posts by pach
Old Jan 27, 2013, 03:30 AM
Joined Dec 2011
3,266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikarro View Post
I disagree
CF's greater stiffness actually makes it more likely to shatter in a crash than an FG or plastic frame.
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Closed Thread