HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:58 PM
Total Newbie
United Arab Emirates, Dubai
Joined Dec 2012
469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by s_mack View Post
"all the mods"? It has a backlight (not really a big deal). And a port for a programmer (but not the programmer itself so you still have to account for that). And if you want other mods like telemetry (since you're getting FrSky) you're in for wicked soldering and on a PCB that's worse quality. Want sound? Tough (for now anyway).

But its not really about the cost. Its that as a new user you should be working with a known commodity that people can provide consistent advice for.

It was my SU-47 to turn into a fine mist of white dust... its your mistakes to make too.
By Mods,I mainly mean Back-light and programibility
And I haven't bought my 9XR yet,still waiting for verdicts (have been following the 9XR tread ever since page 120 :P
jkishan16 is offline Find More Posts by jkishan16
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:59 PM
Crash Test Pilot
Levictus's Avatar
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Jul 2012
380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkishan16 View Post
LOL,I TOTALLY feel what you mean there,it was the SR-71 that got me into this hobby and that's the ONLY plane I'm willing to go through all this learning process for :P
We're not very different there,
But I still want the 9XR because it already has all the mods pre-fitted and it's relatively cheaper and I can always just dispose it for the X9D
9XR = $50
9X+ back-light +smartieparts = $100

I'm going to get the Frsky module for both so I wont consider the module price anyways,Shipping also same price

So yea...
Just my 2c :P
Just buy the Flysky TH-9x which already come with the module and receiver
Levictus is offline Find More Posts by Levictus
Old Jan 17, 2013, 01:14 PM
Total Newbie
United Arab Emirates, Dubai
Joined Dec 2012
469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levictus View Post
Just buy the Flysky TH-9x which already come with the module and receiver
I want the Frsky due to the superior quality,
In-case I don't get to save up for the X9D,or I'm short of cash,I will still be happy with my 9XR+Frsky reliabilty :P
Enough to keep me happy for months :P
jkishan16 is offline Find More Posts by jkishan16
Old Jan 17, 2013, 01:26 PM
Crash Test Pilot
Levictus's Avatar
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Jul 2012
380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkishan16 View Post
I want the Frsky due to the superior quality,
In-case I don't get to save up for the X9D,or I'm short of cash,I will still be happy with my 9XR+Frsky reliabilty :P
Enough to keep me happy for months :P
Sorry, I fell victim to the classic FlySky / FrSky tounge twister. I have a TH-9x and run a FrSky DJT module... Apologize for the misunderstanding...
Levictus is offline Find More Posts by Levictus
Old Jan 17, 2013, 02:16 PM
Registered User
Germany, BW, Freiburg
Joined Jan 2013
27 Posts
I'm a beginner too and for now my 9XR with Frsky DJT is enough. I think the stock firmware is OK and you will have fun with it
Sandesh
Sansha999 is online now Find More Posts by Sansha999
Old Jan 17, 2013, 03:57 PM
Registered User
Terry Rigden's Avatar
UK, Bedworth
Joined Apr 2004
2,571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snipeworm View Post
Length of the thread has nothing to do with the quality of the radio. Look at this thread! The FRSKY radios are not even out yet! The 9x is a good radio for the price. Hopefully the FRSKY radios will be better for the price.
The length of the thread has a lot to do with the complexity of the radio, for a beginner a simple radio is far better. I know one beginner who crashed because he got confused with the fancy settings on his transmitter and I expect there are many more.

Terry
Terry Rigden is offline Find More Posts by Terry Rigden
Old Jan 17, 2013, 03:59 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Fly2High's Avatar
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,081 Posts
Should a beginner be looking at a 9 or 12 channel radio?

Isn't that what 4 and 6 channel radios are for?

I would expect the X9D and X12D would be for more experienced pilots and therefor should have all the bells and whistles.

IMHO....

Frank
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High
Old Jan 17, 2013, 05:58 PM
Registered User
USA, NY, Poughkeepsie
Joined Mar 2010
658 Posts
Does anyone have any idea at all when this radio might be coming out ?
The thread has seemingly turned into rambling speculation with no new posts from anyone in the know or associated with the production.

I don't mean that in a bad way ( after reading it seems a little nasty....not my intent..slightly frustrated with the lack of info)....just wondering if any actual information is coming in the near future. I want to upgrade to this radio, but flying season is coming fast and would like to be up and running as soon as the weather breaks ( I'll fly in 30 - 40 degree temps as long as the wind isn't too strong)

Again...not trying to upset anyone.....just would love some info if any is available.
rcguy1958 is online now Find More Posts by rcguy1958
Old Jan 17, 2013, 06:24 PM
Flying a Chipmunk in Portugal
jhsa's Avatar
NRW, Germany
Joined Sep 2010
3,364 Posts
We are all waiting for it. patiently. Not..
jhsa is offline Find More Posts by jhsa
Old Jan 17, 2013, 06:55 PM
Registered User
United Kingdom, Scotland, Cumbernauld
Joined Nov 2008
100 Posts
This reply appeared on another forum regarding the delay on releasing the X9D.

" Blame the delay on us guys at 9xforums.

We got the demo units, and imeadiately picked on the minor quality issues.

The good thing being that frsky listen. They have delayed so that the radio quality can be improved before release.

Currently it looks like it will ship with two firmware on it as standard.

Option one. A simple easy to use firmware to suit noobs. This will be the firmware that frsky build/develop.

Option two. OpenX9D. (open9x). The plan may change, but current thoughts are that if you insert the sdcard you swap magically to open x9d.

Of course.. All subject to change!
Cumbernauld is online now Find More Posts by Cumbernauld
Old Jan 17, 2013, 11:21 PM
efx
Rookie in training, heads up
efx's Avatar
Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2010
3,208 Posts
I sure hope they do include a standard firmware anyone can use out of the get go. I'm still not crazy about any of the open firmwares even though I'm trying to like them, but I'm just not crazy about them. I spend more time reading about them than actually doing anything with them every time I try. Okay still trying to make sense of them in my case. So I would like to see something else that is usable from the start, and of course the addition to use the others is not a bad idea for those that want to do that. It will be nice to see what they come up with if anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumbernauld View Post
This reply appeared on another forum regarding the delay on releasing the X9D.

" Blame the delay on us guys at 9xforums.

We got the demo units, and imeadiately picked on the minor quality issues.

The good thing being that frsky listen. They have delayed so that the radio quality can be improved before release.

Currently it looks like it will ship with two firmware on it as standard.

Option one. A simple easy to use firmware to suit noobs. This will be the firmware that frsky build/develop.

Option two. OpenX9D. (open9x). The plan may change, but current thoughts are that if you insert the sdcard you swap magically to open x9d.

Of course.. All subject to change!
efx is offline Find More Posts by efx
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Malware?
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:41 AM
Registered User
cold wombat's Avatar
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jul 2011
288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkishan16 View Post
9XR = $50
Don't fool yourself. The 9XR comes without a module. Cost is $80 ~ $100 + shipping once you select the appropriate module.
cold wombat is offline Find More Posts by cold wombat
Old Jan 18, 2013, 01:16 AM
Mark Harrison
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined Jun 2010
2,205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by efx View Post
I sure hope they do include a standard firmware anyone can use out of the get go. I'm still not crazy about any of the open firmwares even though I'm trying to like them, but I'm just not crazy about them. I spend more time reading about them than actually doing anything with them every time I try. Okay still trying to make sense of them in my case. So I would like to see something else that is usable from the start, and of course the addition to use the others is not a bad idea for those that want to do that. It will be nice to see what they come up with if anything.
Personally, I love er9x (and related), and feel it's more intuitive once somebody understands the mixing.

Here's a tutorial + video showing how to understand er9x mixing:

http://eastbay-rc.blogspot.com/2012/...r-turnigy.html
marhar is offline Find More Posts by marhar
Old Jan 18, 2013, 01:22 AM
Registered User
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,478 Posts
...
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Jan 18, 2013, 02:26 AM
Total Newbie
United Arab Emirates, Dubai
Joined Dec 2012
469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cold wombat View Post
Don't fool yourself. The 9XR comes without a module. Cost is $80 ~ $100 + shipping once you select the appropriate module.
If you read my post above,I said that I will buy the Frsky modules for both of them and shipping is the same cost also,so that 'extra cost' is the same and can be ignored in our current calculation
jkishan16 is offline Find More Posts by jkishan16
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Frsky X12D renatoa Romania 22 Mar 15, 2013 05:01 AM
Cool FrSky Radio Sale Rotozuk Hot Online Deals 95 Apr 04, 2012 07:08 PM
Discussion New radio to go with FrSky Teamsherman Australia 37 Mar 28, 2012 05:36 AM
Sold FlySky 9x TH9X radio w/ FrSky Telemetry Module and 2s 1300 battery. NEW! JIMinKENTUCKY Aircraft - General - Radio Equipment (FS/W) 1 Feb 25, 2012 06:08 PM
Discussion Ordering a new radio setup, 9x + frsky telemetry, am I missing anything? carl1864 Radios 8 Nov 28, 2011 10:53 PM