SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
View Poll Results: What do you do with your Old Timer?
Contests, competition 7 14.00%
Display in your home 1 2.00%
Sell $$$$$ 3 6.00%
Fly it 49 98.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 19, 2012, 06:34 PM
Scott R/C Time Pilot
NorthBend/Coos Bay,Oregon USA
Joined Dec 2009
1,492 Posts
Poll
What do you do with your Old Timer?

What do you do with your Old Timer?
orange&white is offline Find More Posts by orange&white
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 19, 2012, 06:39 PM
AMA7224 LSF1832
United States, DE, Seaford
Joined Sep 2008
3,550 Posts
Fly??? Lots of things really. I fly mine more like they were intended as duration models,not R/C sport models to go scooting around with.
Nothing wrong with that, just ain't my way of flying the old gals. I fly then with ignition engines mostly, a couple with .049s and one or two with electric.
For now I am all R/C but still have two free flight ignition jobs that I am saving. I fly SAM contests as well as just goofing at the field wtih long slow glides and an occasional ride on some lift.
Leadchucker is offline Find More Posts by Leadchucker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Leadchucker; Apr 19, 2012 at 06:46 PM.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 10:03 PM
Canada, ON, Caledonia
Joined Aug 2007
2,939 Posts
I fly alot of stuff but never go to the field without atleast one Oldtimer, they just seem to make my day a little bit better.

Bill
williame3590 is online now Find More Posts by williame3590
Old Apr 20, 2012, 03:54 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,913 Posts
Fly them, repair them, fiddle with them . Just enjoy them
owlsabie is offline Find More Posts by owlsabie
Old Apr 20, 2012, 04:43 AM
United Kingdom, Minehead
Joined Oct 2011
87 Posts
I love the fast and furious stuff, but like Bill i never go to the field with out as least one vintage plane.
bigisbest is offline Find More Posts by bigisbest
Old Apr 20, 2012, 10:11 AM
Africa
Joined Jan 2005
1,175 Posts
I like to fly them RC assist, just enough input to stop them straying too far & to find & stay in lift... then ofcourse land at my feet....in one piece.
Snorks is online now Find More Posts by Snorks
Old Apr 20, 2012, 10:26 AM
Fylingdales Flyer
Yorkshire Coast. United kingdom
Joined Apr 2008
83 Posts
Repair them, most of the time!
BayNavigator is offline Find More Posts by BayNavigator
Last edited by BayNavigator; Apr 20, 2012 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Typo
Old Apr 21, 2012, 02:31 AM
Relax, have a Cub
College Place, WA.
Joined Apr 2004
1,089 Posts
I build and fly them until someone offers me more than I think they are worth and then I sell. I have to make at least 10 cents an hour building them.
mewert is offline Find More Posts by mewert
Old Apr 22, 2012, 12:56 PM
AND FOR MY NEXT TRICK....!
Omaha Millard, Nebraska, United States
Joined Sep 2004
4,067 Posts
10 cents an hour....ha! That's about right.

I would sell any of my old timers (and I don't have a lot), but I'll never sell my Valkyrie! Too much time and tears in that puppy!
Joe
jodini is offline Find More Posts by jodini
Old Apr 22, 2012, 01:20 PM
Napa, CA
Joined May 2007
651 Posts
Take pictures of them on my "wifes" good rug when she's not home!! (Good thing she doesn't look at this website!)
tri-pacer is offline Find More Posts by tri-pacer
Old Apr 22, 2012, 08:16 PM
Lake's Frozen Let's Fly
United States, MN, Eden Prairie
Joined Oct 2008
1,324 Posts
They were designed to fly. I love to hear what people have to say when they climb nearly straight up and then float longer than the 3D guys can keep theirs in the air. I will fly all the other types too but it’s really a joy to see these magnificent old-timers do what they were meant to do.

David
Rhea is offline Find More Posts by Rhea
Old Apr 22, 2012, 08:33 PM
Joined May 2009
604 Posts
Well, since I'm STILL trying finish my first one, I can't tell you what I do with mine. But, if I ever get done my intention is the fly it until the wings are worn down to little bitty nubs!

David
cd_webb is offline Find More Posts by cd_webb
Old Apr 22, 2012, 08:33 PM
Houghton Lake MI
Joined Apr 2008
200 Posts
I usually try to figure out how to get them down from trees...

Seriously, I like building and flying them. All of mine are RC electric these days, because I'm learning that other types of models just don't get flown enough to make them worth the effort any more. I like taking them up and searching for thermals. (My first real O.T. experiences came in 1/2A Texaco RC, so that type of flying is kind of fun to me) I just sold two planes this spring, and now I don't have any OTs to fly. I guess I had better hit the building board quickly!
cougdave is offline Find More Posts by cougdave
Old Apr 22, 2012, 08:44 PM
Blenheim, NZ
Joined Dec 2007
1,197 Posts
Competition

Mine are all built with competetion in mind so are powered and tuned for particular classes here in NZ. We have a decentralised competition program run throughot the year that gives a least 2 opportunities to fly each class. I try and fly them all and then there are always the Nationals at New Year. (Summer here in NZ)
I like my models to be good sport fliers too so Cumulus and Lancer have ailerons which makes them fun to fly with the usual Sunday morning sport flying crew who are just happy boring holes in the sky with their latest you beaut ARFs.

Allan
AllanK1 is offline Find More Posts by AllanK1
Old Apr 22, 2012, 10:07 PM
"Butchering Balsa since 1971"
USA, TX, McKinney
Joined Dec 2003
1,068 Posts
I really want to try SAM competition, but I haven't had a chance to go to a meet, so I just fly the snot out of them. I usually do the climb and glide bit, nothing like killing power and fishing for lift However, I have a couple that love to putt around the field, and 1 that really likes to do 3 channel aerobatics..ever seen an old-timer do a cuban eight? It can be done..sloppy, but it's doable....
CashRC is online now Find More Posts by CashRC