HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 19, 2012, 05:31 PM
oxford uk
Joined Aug 2010
1,038 Posts
Discussion
Air Brakes on a delta wing...

Whilst searching RCG looking for further ideas I stumbled across this forum... blimey RCG is HUGE!

Anyhow I guess this is the best place to post my question, as I seem to be going round in circles at the moment...

I have an X8 which will be used for FPV. The airframe has been substantially reinforced. I have elongated the elevons and split them in two. Luckilly my flying partner and spotter is Angelos, head honcho at Spartan RC who's primary products are world leading Heli avionics. He has already made an onboard mixer so the split elevons work as rudders/ airbrakes and of course conventional elevons.

I have also modded a pair of FunJet ULTRA Wings so they are a direct swapout for the stock winglets on the X8 (to be used as rudders and controlled by onboard stabalisation, an offshoot from the upcoming Spartan Vortex flybarless heli control system) which can also be used as proportional airbrakes.

So thats 'flaps', 'rudders' as airbrakes... and still I want more! I am trying to find the best place to position pop up airbrakes (as in large gliders) on the wing for maximum effect/ and the theoritical best place for 'nuetral' effects on pitch when deployed if such a theory exists.... (although the stab system should be able to counteract any issues, I would like to minimise them)

This is a bonkers project... The X8 does have a 'ground effect' problem and with mine being a little heavier than most with all the kit it will have onboard (large pack capacity and large motor, let alone all the electronics, cameras and various lighting systems etc etc) and I would like to try and land the way I allways do (in steep, flair and drop).

The other reason is that I like night flying, my existing rig has amused/bemused many hundreds of people. I would like to increase the 'erratic' nature of my flying by hitting all the brakes on a flat out run, and diving slowly (ish!!) then straighten everything out and zoom off again. It's running 6s with just over 1KW as opposed to the old Zagi 480 based machine that only had 500w on 3s and was as about as near as you can get to having a flying brick!!!

If any of you have any experiance/ ideas/ links to further info It would be greatly appriciated....

To recap... where do I place pop up airbrakes on a Delta Wing?

Many thanks,

Paul

p.s. I have no affiliation with Spartan, other than being friends with the guys, this project is making Angelos shrug his shoulders, laff, or go red in the face, this is a mad persons lone project!!!
yogz is offline Find More Posts by yogz
Last edited by yogz; Apr 20, 2012 at 01:39 PM.
to remove ads between posts