SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 19, 2012, 03:25 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,607 Posts
New Product
Solo Pro 127 and 129, first impressions (Flybarless FP)

In the 270 thread, Bobepine surprised us with some pics of some interesting Nine Eagles flybarless sub micro heli's:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobepine View Post
I know this is a bit off topic but I don't want to start a thread with such limited info and I don't know where else to post this. And I want to post it!

I got to fly the two new FBL fp helis from NE today. Here are pics. Tail fin is busted on one of them.

Only two main blades on the "FBL Bravo SX." Not 3 blades as seen in earlier pictures.

The 129 is better than the 127. Same power train but a lot lighter. The 127 skids are bigger and the fuselage is heavy. It's neat how the front of the canopy is held with magnets. It pops off and you have to insert the battery from the front. Once you put the battery in, it's not visible. It's inside the fuse.

Bottom line is the 129 has longer flight time and more performance but the 127 looks awesome. The canopy seems very sturdy and thick. The canopy on the 129 looks just like the SP125 canopy.

As for flying characteristics, they both hover well. The stabilization works. They are both VERY fast. That said, they are quite a bit harder to fly than the classic flybarred solo pros. The helis can hover on a dime, but when they get moving, they do not self stabilize like a flybarred 4 channels. There's a lot more swaying going on in flight. I'd say it's halfway between a flybarred solo pro and a similar size CP heli. In other words, it requires better skills to fly but speed and agility is the reward. They are responsive so if you have the skills, they will go where you want them to go. Nice helis. I have very good first impressions.

Chris
SoloProFan is offline Find More Posts by SoloProFan
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 19, 2012, 04:44 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,648 Posts
Thanks for sharing Chris. Excited to see when they land. I like what I see so far. (Except for the Happy Flight decal of course )
Daryoon is online now Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old Apr 19, 2012, 04:44 PM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Dec 2009
1,721 Posts
I'm moving my early questions, and Chris' reply, here as well for easier reference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Man View Post
I see there are major advantages in living in Asia.

So it's confirmed that both the new 127 and 129 are:
- Fixed pitch, not CP
- Flybarless
- 127 looks like a Bravo but it's a new fuselage
- 127 is traditional 2-blade, not 3-blade as seen at the NTF 2012

Are these production models? Can you confirm:
- 129: same canopy as 125?
- Both: same tail as existing models? Can we swap parts?
- Both: 260 blades or 270 blades? (Triangular or straight)
- Battery size/shape for both? Still proprietary NE plugs?
- Transmitter -- J4, J6, or traditional "puck"?
- Pricing?

Chris (username: Bobepine) replied:

Quote:
I was in a hurry, I had to go to work but I managed to get a few pics and I took the time to try them out for about 3 minutes each.

-The 129 canopy looks like the SP125's. Same rounded rear end. Same kind of profile. Not sure if the shape is identical. The 'Happy Flight RC Heli" decal kind of ruins it, though.

-I believe both share some common parts like motors, tail booms, blades, swash plate, RX, etc. But the skids and the main frame are different.

- Both use different blades than the 260 or 270. They use proper blade grips, feathering shaft and pivoting blades. So no. Blades are very different.

-I'm so sorry, I did not pay attention to the batteries, either. Looked like Bravo SX 150mAh batteries. Same style connector as the 260 and 270.

-Comes with a J4 TX.

-No idea about pricing. My friend, Mr. Lin, never releases prices before he receives whatever it is he's selling. These helis are pre-production models shipped in white boxes.

Best,
Chris
V-Man is offline Find More Posts by V-Man
Old Apr 19, 2012, 05:20 PM
ladybird, miniCP, msrx, 4F180
Joined Jan 2012
515 Posts
I really like the SP 127. I dont have a micro with a full "scale" canopy. I think when that one is available im all over it. If it flies anything like my msrx im gonna love it.
afloyd82 is offline Find More Posts by afloyd82
Old Apr 19, 2012, 10:18 PM
9958 gave me the toilet bowl
United States, IL, Rockford
Joined Jan 2012
1,257 Posts
We need guinea pigs to buy these new helis, see what may be defective or easily breakable. I don't anticipate any toilet bowl effect like the one seen on my Xieda 9958 ...
Proud Infidel is offline Find More Posts by Proud Infidel
Old Apr 20, 2012, 01:50 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Infidel View Post
We need guinea pigs to buy these new helis, see what may be defective or easily breakable. I don't anticipate any toilet bowl effect like the one seen on my Xieda 9958 ...
Think of the opportunity, you could be the first to get a flybar-related problem on a heli without a flybar! You will become famous throughout the world, wait... the galaxy! Think about you getting asked to come talking about TBE at Oprah, David Letterman, and other famous talkshows about this.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 11:53 AM
Joined Jun 2011
8,133 Posts
I checked the batteries today. They are 150mAh batteries like the ones on the Bravo SX.

Also something worth mentioning. These helis do not use linear servos like most 4 channels Solo Pros use. They use two separate servos that look like the SP125's servos. This is great. The days of having to replace the entire board because a servo is defective are over. Plus, these little servos have a lot of throw to them. The servo travel isn't limited like on the Solo Pro 328 and the Solo pro 270. These helis are FAST. Period.

I know I'm getting one. I'm debating between both. I know that the 127 is heavier and doesn't perform as well, but it looks so nice! It feels pretty solid, too. I don't care much about flight time if I can get 3+ minutes of good performance, I'm happy. I just keep enough batteries.

Chris
bobepine is online now Find More Posts by bobepine
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:50 PM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Dec 2009
1,721 Posts
I'm on the fence. I wanted a SP127 when it was 3-blade -- now, my interest has dropped a lot. It's going to depend on a) the price and b) whether it's available as a BNF.

I'll probably just use the money to get a SP125 with a J6Pro -- same general looks and size as the SP129, and much more capable package. Just waiting for it to come in stock at one of my usual suppliers.

(And no stupid "Happy Flight" markings, either! )
Old Apr 20, 2012, 03:49 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,607 Posts
Quote:
I checked the batteries today. They are 150mAh batteries like the ones on the Bravo SX.

Also something worth mentioning. These helis do not use linear servos like most 4 channels Solo Pros use. They use two separate servos that look like the SP125's servos. This is great. The days of having to replace the entire board because a servo is defective are over. Plus, these little servos have a lot of throw to them. The servo travel isn't limited like on the Solo Pro 328 and the Solo pro 270. These helis are FAST. Period.

I know I'm getting one. I'm debating between both. I know that the 127 is heavier and doesn't perform as well, but it looks so nice! It feels pretty solid, too. I don't care much about flight time if I can get 3+ minutes of good performance, I'm happy. I just keep enough batteries.

Chris
Are the batteries fully identical, so same connector as well?

I think it would be nice to have a little more performance, but being able to rip through the skies with a nice scale fuselage, considering how much fun it already can be to fly a Bravo SX at higher speeds, I think I would probably go for the 127 as well and get a pod and boom design CP for all out flying.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 05:36 PM
Joined Mar 2012
122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Man View Post
(And no stupid "Happy Flight" markings, either! )
All the pictures of the yellow 125a have happy flight on the canopy. Better make sure you get a white one!
Hazzanz is offline Find More Posts by Hazzanz
Old Apr 20, 2012, 11:10 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,319 Posts
I think the pattern is pretty clear. Blade has not dumped the MSR and Walkera is not promoting the CB100 either. It is quite obvious that the Solo Pro or the Solo Pro 270 are not selling well either on the streets of Hong Kong. That self stabilizing flybar segment is now owned by the V911, 9958 and others.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Apr 21, 2012, 03:53 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
I think the pattern is pretty clear. Blade has not dumped the MSR and Walkera is not promoting the CB100 either. It is quite obvious that the Solo Pro or the Solo Pro 270 are not selling well either on the streets of Hong Kong. That self stabilizing flybar segment is now owned by the V911, 9958 and others.
It's clear that 45 degree flybar helis have their limits, and that flybarless has some advantages. Faster, no flybar strikes. But I think the 270 is quite a success, it does have adavantages over the 9958. I can't compare to the V911, as I don't have one, but I do prefer it over the 260 and 9958, even though I enjoy both. The main drawback of the V911 and 9958 is that you need soldering skills to maintain the heli in working condition, whereas on the Solo Pro you can service the entire heli with a single screwdriver, as everything has plugs.

But, 270 has to fitted with a receiver with full throws, it seems NE shot itself in the foot by programming the servo throw so low on the 270.

Btw, perhaps in Hong Kong the cheaper helis take over, but in Europe, in the shops, rebranded 9958s sell for the same prices as Nine Eagles, so then the difference in quality will make a change.
Last edited by SoloProFan; Apr 21, 2012 at 04:08 AM.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 05:15 AM
Joined Mar 2012
51 Posts
Guys,any updates on the date release?
Sleep is offline Find More Posts by Sleep
Old Apr 23, 2012, 02:42 PM
9958 gave me the toilet bowl
United States, IL, Rockford
Joined Jan 2012
1,257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan View Post
I think the 270 is quite a success
They sold more than a dozen?
Proud Infidel is offline Find More Posts by Proud Infidel
Old Apr 23, 2012, 03:56 PM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Dec 2009
1,721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Infidel View Post
They sold more than a dozen?
"Quite a success" in terms of design. Apparently it flies really nicely, better than the original SP260.

Since we don't have access to NE's sales figures, we can't tell how well it's selling. But I must admit we don't see it discussed as much as the 9958, V911 or SP260. NE seems to have production or distribution issues, their new designs start out really slowly in the marketplace. (Look how many places are selling -- or rather, not selling -- the SP125.)

Doesn't bode well for those eager to put their hands on a 127 or 129...