Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 01, 2012, 09:08 AM
Joined Oct 2003
1,772 Posts
Seen at Dupnitsa Bulgarian 2012 F3J Competition.

First photo is standard X2 Fin Rudder 2nd photo is new version with larger rudder to fin area.
Giovannia Gallizia from Italy and the long line of good guys and great flyers from the Gallizias clan.
Larry Jolly is offline Find More Posts by Larry Jolly
to remove ads between posts
Old May 01, 2012, 09:24 AM
Joined Oct 2003
1,772 Posts
Also seen at Dupnitsa, My good friend and top competitior Primoz Risnor and his 3.8 X-2 showing his attachment of a trip on the top surface. Primoz is one of the test pilots for NAN and is one on the best of their group of flyers. By the way the word I heard on the new version is not exactly as I had been informed earlier.
The new version is not fin behind Supra-Prestige style fuselage, but something very different. New version will be a Rudder-Fin/ Stab-Elevator tail group that reportedly uses X-2 Fuselage and a single screw to attach entire tail group to fuselage. Word has it that they are still experimenting with the ratio of Elevator -Stab. By the way for those of you interested the first X2 wing was delivered to Benedikt Feigl the Friday before the start of the Worldchamps in France. We noticed that several of the top flyers were flying Explorers that were better able to handle the wind last season, when we examined these these models, they had counter sink head flat blade screws instead of caps. The X-2 is showing potential but definitely does not have the same hang as the Explorer.
Old May 01, 2012, 10:03 AM
Win=span\massXpractice+lu ck
Joined Jul 2007
2,806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigroot View Post
Are the flaps/ailerons threaded, or do the horns glue in?
Bob
threaded -
webbsolution is online now Find More Posts by webbsolution
Old May 01, 2012, 10:26 AM
Joined Jul 2007
2,806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Jolly View Post
Also seen at Dupnitsa, My good friend and top competitior Primoz Risnor and his 3.8 X-2 showing his attachment of a trip on the top surface. Primoz is one of the test pilots for NAN and is one on the best of their group of flyers. By the way the word I heard on the new version is not exactly as I had been informed earlier.
The new version is not fin behind Supra-Prestige style fuselage, but something very different. New version will be a Rudder-Fin/ Stab-Elevator tail group that reportedly uses X-2 Fuselage and a single screw to attach entire tail group to fuselage. Word has it that they are still experimenting with the ratio of Elevator -Stab. By the way for those of you interested the first X2 wing was delivered to Benedikt Feigl the Friday before the start of the Worldchamps in France. We noticed that several of the top flyers were flying Explorers that were better able to handle the wind last season, when we examined these these models, they had counter sink head flat blade screws instead of caps. The X-2 is showing potential but definitely does not have the same hang as the Explorer.
This is a good report LJ. The same spar system has been in place for over a year now being pounded hard by the best pilots Nan can supply. Thats pretty good for those of us getting the X 2 in NA.

I am finding that the new wing as you stated does handle the wind much better and when you need to just get it to hang you can experiment with a larger area of camber input compared to the old X. This is obviously becuase of the lack of camber in the "clean section" set into the wing.

The other wing just hung by nature but if you tried to improve it I always found camber inputs to be overkill.

What I found last weekend was that the 3.5 X2 properly cambered in a no lift section could be tuned for the same float or very close to at least. I had the same low camber setup from the old X on my new one and found I could easily grab the full 2 mm - so I could likey get more in there and will give it a go this week.

Its impossible to tell without a side by side comparison and even at that ...thumbs involved etc pretty tough. The pilot load shifts with all design changes and this one is a very easy to adjust shift.

I noticed that my stock elevator step on my ATX SD-10 might be a little extreme for the elevator - going to turn it down a step and see if I can get a happier setup there.

Interesting note on the new tail group - news to me. Nothing is ever constent in this sport though so its not suprising since so many have changed the tail group to reduce weight. It would sure make transporting a 4.0 easier! Of course I already build a new shipping box for mine The larger rudder might make the 3.8 variant easier to turn. Thats a distinct difference between the 2 spans (3.5 and 3.8) the 3.8 takes a little more tuning to get a nice tracking solution. Maybe this will be the ticket to improve this. To prove my point I tried the 3.8 wing on the 4.0 fuse and really liked the extra authority - there might be some down sides but that experience has shown me that a larger fin might be a nice option.

Its hard to imagine how much lighter these models will be without a bell crank in the tail and the extra goop etc. At 1690 gr for a full strength solution the 3.5 signals everything in the sky. I imagine the SL variants may be mid to low 50's.
Old May 01, 2012, 10:45 AM
Joined Oct 2003
1,772 Posts
David,
I have about an hour on Esser's X2 last year in Lodi, Italian F3J Eurotour.
Having flown with Esser on our team, I would consider taking a Standard Explorer with me to the worlds. The X2 will not float with a standard Explorer in dead air. Also consider a 3.8 which is Primos and Essers choice, the span thing again.You can compensate by launching higher,ie longer tow in questionable conditions. It was another windfest in Dupnitsa and poor Esser got killed in the last round when he could not get his X2 heavier than 2.4 kilos in admittably tough conditions. I picked up his model in round 6 and and spun around and said your kidding right??? Esser said in his polite manner Abi I am so sorry I cannot make this model heavier. I just flew in the group before at 3 kilos which is a full load of Tungsten in my Prestige. There was nothing We could do to survive this round. I felt very bad for Esser he has emerged as the top Explorer pilot in F3J Eurotour.
Old May 01, 2012, 11:00 AM
Jyvaskyla, Finland
Joined Aug 2003
2,404 Posts
How did the Xplorer std spread tow structure hold in those conditions?
Tuomo is offline Find More Posts by Tuomo
Old May 01, 2012, 11:47 AM
Joined Jul 2007
2,806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Jolly View Post
David,
I have about an hour on Esser's X2 last year in Lodi, Italian F3J Eurotour.
Having flown with Esser on our team, I would consider taking a Standard Explorer with me to the worlds. The X2 will not float with a standard Explorer in dead air. Also consider a 3.8 which is Primos and Essers choice, the span thing again.You can compensate by launching higher,ie longer tow in questionable conditions. It was another windfest in Dupnitsa and poor Esser got killed in the last round when he could not get his X2 heavier than 2.4 kilos in admittably tough conditions. I picked up his model in round 6 and and spun around and said your kidding right??? Esser said in his polite manner Abi I am so sorry I cannot make this model heavier. I just flew in the group before at 3 kilos which is a full load of Tungsten in my Prestige. There was nothing We could do to survive this round. I felt very bad for Esser he has emerged as the top Explorer pilot in F3J Eurotour.
We are on the same page there.

I will have a compliment of ST X2's and SL's X2's at the WC - Ill likely be entering the a 3.5 and 3.8 X2's one will be an SL likely the 3.5 . Ill register my 4.0 standard with a light fuse for dead air - That should cover it. IN active rounds ill fly the X2's and like any other round just make sure I find lift (easier said than done) and in rounds where I think its going ot be a launch and hang contest ill go for a longer tow on the 4.0 - in between ill be using the 3.8 X2 -

I am ordering tungsten rods for ballast. I have not got them in my hands yet but 16 inches of 1/2 D tungsten rod will get me about 880 GR - no idea with proper CG how much I can fit but I should know soon. The standard rod is 19 and 3/4 inches long so im hoping I can potentially fit it all in and possibly add some nose weight to make up the CG difference. There is a lot of room for more lead in the nose easily 3 onces more if needed to. I only used 14 gr to get my X 2 to 115.

I compared my ballast expectations to Arend and I think I am even lighter than he is expecting to jam into his maxa. ... really though if 90 oz of aircraft is not going to be enough ill be in a whole new world. Ive never even flown in conditions that need THAT kind of ballast...yet I am watching for spring storms in BC though!
Old May 01, 2012, 05:44 PM
undefined
Joined Jul 2011
6 Posts
Here we go again..
Quote:
New version will be a Rudder-Fin/ Stab-Elevator tail group that reportedly uses X-2 Fuselage and a single screw to attach entire tail group to fuselage.
http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...3-DSC_7444.jpg
We can clearly see screw with which tail is attached on fuse.
Quote:
By the way for those of you interested the first X2 wing was delivered to Benedikt Feigl the Friday before the start of the Worldchamps in France.
Interesting.
Quote:
The X-2 is showing potential but definitely does not have the same hang as the Explorer.
The X2 will not float with a standard Explorer in dead air.
Please be that kind to explain us how did you came out on that conclusion. Also my friend webbsolution just bought 3 X2s, he will be depressed now.

And my god it's Xplorer, not Explorer!
Plava rapsodija is offline Find More Posts by Plava rapsodija
Old May 01, 2012, 06:21 PM
Always more to Xplore
near Sacramento, CA
Joined Aug 2010
757 Posts
I knew there was I reason I subscribed to this thread.
SoaringDude is online now Find More Posts by SoaringDude
Old May 01, 2012, 07:06 PM
Flightcomp.com
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Apr 2006
1,600 Posts
NAN is releasing the Xplorer 2, and they are also working on something else? Can someone straighten this out for me. Wouldn't that upset people who get and X2 just to have something else come out right away?
ak79 is offline Find More Posts by ak79
Site Sponsor
Old May 01, 2012, 07:14 PM
Joined Oct 2003
1,772 Posts
Dear Plava,
Really sorry about the Explorer versus Xplorer, my Bad 24 hours in transit and 3 hours sleep will do that to me. All information is from NAN team pilots, or my own flying on X2 of which I have some significant time. I am in no way insulting this model if you have a different opinion please share with us. I promise I have only reported what was told to me directly by NAN pilots.
Tomorrow after some rest I will report on the Bulgarian cup, where Arijan and Sebastian had no luck in the competition. CA
However I fully expect that an Xplorer-X2 combo will be in contention for the win in SA!
Last edited by Larry Jolly; May 01, 2012 at 07:32 PM.
Old May 01, 2012, 07:54 PM
Joined Jul 2007
2,806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak79 View Post
NAN is releasing the Xplorer 2, and they are also working on something else? Can someone straighten this out for me. Wouldn't that upset people who get and X2 just to have something else come out right away?

Right now you can by the X2 in ST with the same carbon fuse.

You may also soon be able to purchase the same X2 wing with the Light tail group though the time frame for public consumpotion is unknown. Bob @Susa will jump on that I think he is away for a bit though.

The fin size and bolt pattern - I cant comment on that but I dont really care. I will get what they send and fly it as best as I can. Detachable fin - larger rudder pah ill negate any of those differences at the TX.

Plava - I only have my first X2 ST with the standard fuse. The other two are expected soon and they will be the SL fuses.

I am less worried about the min sink component. Its not a drastic difference and really when you think about it its going to be a factor when you dont find anything but flat air...and in that case I would have made the tactically wrong decision...if its a dead air round ill be launching the 4.0

Dont be too hard on LJ Plava he is just bitter because his boss is making him fly the Prestige He has a tough life so I cut him some slack.

Seriously, LJ keep up the posting loking forward to hearing more contest reports.
Old May 01, 2012, 07:57 PM
Flightcomp.com
Joined Apr 2006
1,600 Posts
Aw, ok, as long as we can mix and match parts that's ok. I'm picking up my X2 friday, dumping my Satori's if anyone is interested, in the classified section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by webbsolution View Post
Right now you can by the X2 in ST with the same carbon fuse.

You may also soon be able to purchase the same X2 wing with the Light tail group though the time frame for public consumpotion is unknown. Bob @Susa will jump on that I think he is away for a bit though.

The fin size and bolt pattern - I cant comment on that but I dont really care. I will get what they send and fly it as best as I can. Detachable fin - larger rudder pah ill negate any of those differences at the TX.

Plava - I only have my first X2 ST with the standard fuse. The other two are expected soon and they will be the SL fuses.

I am less worried about the min sink component. Its not a drastic difference and really when you think about it its going to be a factor when you dont find anything but flat air...and in that case I would have made the tactically wrong decision...if its a dead air round ill be launching the 4.0

Dont be too hard on LJ Plava he is just bitter because his boss is making him fly the Prestige He has a tough life so I cut him some slack.

Seriously, LJ keep up the posting loking forward to hearing more contest reports.
Site Sponsor
Old May 01, 2012, 08:04 PM
Joined Jul 2007
2,806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak79 View Post
Aw, ok, as long as we can mix and match parts that's ok. I'm picking up my X2 friday, dumping my Satori's if anyone is interested, in the classified section.
Thats one of the beautiful features - old fuse new wing - new fuse old wing - once the parts start circulating you might see people with C68 X's and SL fuses

You will love that plane man. If you dont there are probably 6 guys waiting to buy it from you right now...

DW
Old May 01, 2012, 08:42 PM
Flightcomp.com
Joined Apr 2006
1,600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by webbsolution View Post
Thats one of the beautiful features - old fuse new wing - new fuse old wing - once the parts start circulating you might see people with C68 X's and SL fuses

You will love that plane man. If you dont there are probably 6 guys waiting to buy it from you right now...

DW

LOL, no way I regretted selling my original X3.5
Site Sponsor