HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 01, 2013, 03:22 PM
RIP MC
United States, CA, Midway City
Joined Dec 2003
3,269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by burke757 View Post
Is there a difference between the X1 and X2 horizontal stabs? Specifically the 3.5? I am just talking about the normal stabs, not the super light weight stabs.
They are exactly the same. What is interesting is that since the camber is lower and the nose/tail is lighter, the design would bode well for a smaller stab .

Quote:
Originally Posted by target View Post
I believe that Tuan normally sets up his servos with the shaft aft towards the hings line.

R,
Target
That is correct. However, I keep my servos as close to the spar as possible. I do end up with a longer linkage vs moving the servo closer to the hingeline, but the servo mounting system is rock solid tying into the spar.

I got an hour yesterday to get intimate with the 3.8X2 and almost ended up with a disaster. Local closed down school, but they were mowing the lawn so I could not setup a histart.
I did a total of 5 hand launches but the second one caught a tip on the ground. Full right ail to try and straighten her out and was just able to. 2 throws later caught a small ground bubble but could not circle tight enough to ride her out. I'm not quite happy with her yet.

I should be able to get her more dialed in this Sunday. Currently ail throws are +-15 degrees and cg is art 126.5. The kool thing is I vid it on 2 cameras, a fix ground cam and a head mounted cam. Video should post in about an hr on Youtube. I need to get another cam going to vid my hands to tie it into the flying.
X2 Hand Tosses_2 (2 min 58 sec)
fnnwizard is offline Find More Posts by fnnwizard
Last edited by fnnwizard; Mar 01, 2013 at 05:40 PM. Reason: add video lionk
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2013, 04:14 PM
Win=span\massXpractice+lu ck
Joined Jul 2007
3,070 Posts
"[QUOTE=fnnwizard;24291508]They are exactly the same. What is interesting is that since the camber is lower and the nose/tail is lighter, the design would bode well for a smaller stab ."

Meaning that this new design could potentially leverage a smaller area where the last one might not be as adept at handling it but on the other side a larger lighter stab on the X2 will still yield dividends when going really slow for example authority in the LZ - ?

I have both stabs and I prefer the authority of the larger stab having flown the smaller one on everything so far accept my 4.0 which is still being worked on.
webbsolution is offline Find More Posts by webbsolution
Old Mar 03, 2013, 01:44 PM
United States, VA, Falls Church
Joined Mar 2007
1,368 Posts
Way bummed

Just opened up my model box from the return from the SWC and J in the Desert. TSA trashed my uber light 4m stab...

Did they really have to look at every part in the box? Sheesh...

D
Daryl Perkins is offline Find More Posts by Daryl Perkins
Old Mar 03, 2013, 01:54 PM
Joined Jul 2007
3,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl Perkins View Post
Just opened up my model box from the return from the SWC and J in the Desert. TSA trashed my uber light 4m stab...

Did they really have to look at every part in the box? Sheesh...

D
I always acompany my box for inspection - yes it means 2 plus more hours in the airport but to date TSA has not done anything yet ...

That sucks - good thing Bob has more! is it repairable ?
Old Mar 03, 2013, 02:38 PM
Always more to Xplore
near Sacramento, CA
Joined Aug 2010
813 Posts
Tuan, great split-screen video of your X2 hand launches. Turns look very stable @ that CG. One thing: your easy throws make it look like you're tossing a super light plane. Oh wait...
SoaringDude is offline Find More Posts by SoaringDude
Old Mar 04, 2013, 01:11 AM
Jyvaskyla, Finland
Joined Aug 2003
2,431 Posts
Nice circling from the last hand launch.... Tuan, you have enlarged rudder?
Tuomo is offline Find More Posts by Tuomo
Old Mar 04, 2013, 02:11 PM
Belgium, Vlaams Gewest, Aalst
Joined Sep 2011
18 Posts
On my X1 4 meters i use the stap of xplorer 3.5 m and works great and stable !!!!
xplorer F3J is offline Find More Posts by xplorer F3J
Old Mar 04, 2013, 06:05 PM
RIP MC
Joined Dec 2003
3,269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuomo View Post
Nice circling from the last hand launch.... Tuan, you have enlarged rudder?
Yeah, I added about 7in^2 or about 45cm^2 which helps a bit, I need to make a more solid mod but it nees to be about 14 sq in. It still seems the rud is a bit lacking on this 3.8 due to the heavier than avg tips. I think if the fuse was extended 6in (15cm) and v stab was higher ar it would help.

Yesterday I also tried a more rearward cg by adding 7g to the middle of the tail boom which should move the cg back 2mm and it is still stable. In reflex speed she did tuck, but it is more likely due to my trims still not being perfect at that speed.
I also tried the larger stab and without adding any noseweight, moves the cg to 137 and it flew fine, but with the cg back that much yaw damping is not as good.
So, I'll stick with the smaller stabs on this 3.8.

Going back to when I had rds my 3.5 and 3.8, the tip weights for the 3.8 were just 276g but the total weight of the plane was 2070g.
I love the way that one flew until its demise.
My current 3.8X2 is 1880 but the tips weigh 300g each with the MKS minis out at the tips.

I have a red X2 3.8 and I am going back to rds'ing that one with the servos remaining in the center panel. You can call me crazy, but I can definitely tell the difference with the hand tosses and close-in circles.
I have an older broken fuse fuse that I will see if I can shorten the nose a bit and lengthen the tail. That should help in the handling.
Old Mar 04, 2013, 08:43 PM
Joined Jul 2007
3,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnnwizard View Post
Yeah, I added about 7in^2 or about 45cm^2 which helps a bit, I need to make a more solid mod but it nees to be about 14 sq in. It still seems the rud is a bit lacking on this 3.8 due to the heavier than avg tips. I think if the fuse was extended 6in (15cm) and v stab was higher ar it would help.

Yesterday I also tried a more rearward cg by adding 7g to the middle of the tail boom which should move the cg back 2mm and it is still stable. In reflex speed she did tuck, but it is more likely due to my trims still not being perfect at that speed.
I also tried the larger stab and without adding any noseweight, moves the cg to 137 and it flew fine, but with the cg back that much yaw damping is not as good.
So, I'll stick with the smaller stabs on this 3.8.

Going back to when I had rds my 3.5 and 3.8, the tip weights for the 3.8 were just 276g but the total weight of the plane was 2070g.
I love the way that one flew until its demise.
My current 3.8X2 is 1880 but the tips weigh 300g each with the MKS minis out at the tips.

I have a red X2 3.8 and I am going back to rds'ing that one with the servos remaining in the center panel. You can call me crazy, but I can definitely tell the difference with the hand tosses and close-in circles.
I have an older broken fuse fuse that I will see if I can shorten the nose a bit and lengthen the tail. That should help in the handling.
have you flown the 3.8 on the 4.0 fuse yet ? That wing and the 3.7 are actually really sweet!
Old Mar 04, 2013, 10:18 PM
RIP MC
Joined Dec 2003
3,269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by webbsolution View Post
have you flown the 3.8 on the 4.0 fuse yet ? That wing and the 3.7 are actually really sweet!
I never did try those wings on a 4.0 fuse.
It would seem to be going backwards to me (I would rather have the span)...
but now, I might have to try it just to see.

Dave, did you ever compare the stock fuses with your pro fuses? You know, the unobtainium ones in spread tow us mere mortals have no access to? Are they different in moments? How about rudder area?
Old Mar 04, 2013, 10:25 PM
RIP MC
Joined Dec 2003
3,269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xplorer F3J View Post
On my X1 4 meters i use the stap of xplorer 3.5 m and works great and stable !!!!
What is your cg at with the smaller stabs?
Old Mar 05, 2013, 12:00 AM
Joined Jul 2007
3,070 Posts
Quote:
I never did try those wings on a 4.0 fuse.
It would seem to be going backwards to me (I would rather have the span)...
but now, I might have to try it just to see.

Dave, did you ever compare the stock fuses with your pro fuses? You know, the unobtainium ones in spread tow us mere mortals have no access to? Are they different in moments? How about rudder area?

Ok so the earliest unobtaniums were identical in moment and nose length to the full strength version for botht he 3.5 and the 4.0 - the team planes shipped just before the WC were different for the 3.5\8 variations check out the pics attached - in the top comparisons you can see the tail moment is longer - the nose is shorter on the Sl team fuse vs the early prototype which matches up with the full strength version. Also you can clearly see a larger rudder control surface - its a sweet sweet ride. I regret having to sell one of mine when i got back from the WC. These are the best handling versions I have ever had.

The 4.0 fuses are identical accept for weight obviously.
Last edited by webbsolution; Mar 05, 2013 at 12:07 AM.
Old Mar 05, 2013, 12:14 AM
RIP MC
Joined Dec 2003
3,269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by webbsolution View Post
Ok so the earliest unobtaniums were identical in moment and nose length to the full strength version for botht he 3.5 and the 4.0 - the team planes shipped just before the WC were different for the 3.5\8 variations check out the pics attached - in the top comparisons you can see the tail moment is longer - the nose is shorter on the Sl team fuse vs the early prototype which matches up with the full strength version. Also you can clearly see a larger rudder control surface - its a sweet sweet ride. I regret having to sell one of mine when i got back from the WC. These are the best handling versions I have ever had.

The 4.0 fuses are identical accept for weight obviously.
Wow, Dave thanks!
I had no idea that the true X2 fuse were with a shorter nose, longer tail moment and better rudder proportions. AK mentioned it to me a week ago, but I didn't really know. Now the question begs, how come those dimensions aren't on the current x2 fuse ?
Old Mar 05, 2013, 02:57 AM
Jyvaskyla, Finland
Joined Aug 2003
2,431 Posts
Quote:
Wow, Dave thanks!
I had no idea that the true X2 fuse were with a shorter nose, longer tail moment and better rudder proportions. AK mentioned it to me a week ago, but I didn't really know. Now the question begs, how come those dimensions aren't on the current x2 fuse ?
I posted pictures of new 3.8 about half a year ago. It has very closely the same tail moment as regular 4m fuse. Nose is much shorter.

For a normal weight model you can as well use the 4m fuse with your 3.8m wings? You only need the new fuse if you want xtreme light weight. 4m fuse has also the bonus of little larger ballast capability.
Tuomo is offline Find More Posts by Tuomo
Old Mar 05, 2013, 07:33 AM
United States, VA, Falls Church
Joined Mar 2007
1,368 Posts
Nose moment obviously bad for aero reasons and inertia reasons. However... It was the longer nose moment on my 4m X2 that allowed me to utilize the 850 mah Life pack and drop about 1 1/2 ounces total airframe weight. My 4m X2 rocks.
Daryl Perkins is offline Find More Posts by Daryl Perkins