Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Feb 19, 2013, 06:08 PM
Detail Freak
target's Avatar
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,299 Posts
Its better to be pissed off than pissed on.
As such, I didn't fly the plane directly overhead.

R,
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2013, 05:45 PM
Chuck it and see!
Wing-span's Avatar
UK, Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire
Joined Sep 2006
1,369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by target View Post
Its better to be pissed off than pissed on.
As such, I didn't fly the plane directly overhead.

R,
Target
Differing tastes noted in Germany.
Wing-span is offline Find More Posts by Wing-span
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 07:41 PM
Detail Freak
target's Avatar
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing-span View Post
Differing tastes noted in Germany.
And in my department at work from a couple of the guys. (Freaks!)
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 04:04 PM
Win=span\massXpractice+lu ck
webbsolution's Avatar
Joined Jul 2007
2,764 Posts
Luck not so good with my new x2

My brand new 4.0 x2 was sweet and floaty for one flight only...I took a midair from the New Dr Death on final approach at the j event which certainly hurt. The sl boom snapped behind the saddle. The right tip spar was broken and the leading edge of the left dinged up....nasty start to a weekend.

I fixed the fuse in the kitchen of my hosts in Phoenix and used my 3.8 sl tips and she flew again....Lenard Reid has helped me out with some salvaged tips I will work into flying form again - much thanks mr Reid, pm me and we will work out the details. I have a fine 15 year son old I'd like to boot out for a week of hard labor....

So I'll be cutting the tip off my panel and replacing the mashed on on Lenard's right panel...picture of the sanding jig to come....stand by.
webbsolution is offline Find More Posts by webbsolution
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 04:11 PM
Flightcomp.com
ak79's Avatar
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Apr 2006
1,586 Posts
You are not the only one dude, my brand new 3.8 X2 was trashed in a midair at the J event also, sooooo bummed out now.
ak79 is offline Find More Posts by ak79
Site Sponsor
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 07:38 PM
Thermal Wrangler
DrFragnasty's Avatar
Launceston Tasmania
Joined Mar 2004
2,057 Posts
Sorry to hear guys. Also sorry to sound creepy but I'd be interested in any photos of the structure if it's exposed. Specifically the spar/ sub-spar; is it a balsa shear-web made out of the moulds or in-situ?

Chris.
DrFragnasty is online now Find More Posts by DrFragnasty
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 08:19 PM
Win=span\massXpractice+lu ck
webbsolution's Avatar
Joined Jul 2007
2,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFragnasty View Post
Sorry to hear guys. Also sorry to sound creepy but I'd be interested in any photos of the structure if it's exposed. Specifically the spar/ sub-spar; is it a balsa shear-web made out of the moulds or in-situ?

Chris.
Not that kind of damage on my stuff Dr.

I'll be back in the air with visually pleasing tips in. Week or two maybe...
webbsolution is offline Find More Posts by webbsolution
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 11:15 PM
Fly R/C writer
Redlands, Ca
Joined Dec 2004
1,886 Posts
Okay, so now the truth about Dr. Death. This started back in 2010 when I got hit by the guys on the right side of my launch lane which blew away the right wing panel to my Shadow. Okay, I get a refly. I fly my back-up model, and on the reflight, I get a bad throw from my team mate. The plane goes left and cuts the launch line of John Diniz. We go for another reflight. Launch three has me coming off the deck quickly and cleanly and I do a good flight. However, somehow, the officials lose the score card and ask me to fly another reflight. Fine, I do that and that flight goes okay, save for two other guys who touch and claim a reflight. By simple luck of the draw, my name is chosen to also fly in the reflight and that now makes 5 reflights in a row, a new record and the name of Dr. Death.

Mind you, the only thing that I did was cut the launch line of John Diniz. Now, we have a new "Dr. Death", and this one has several kills to his credit at the F3J in the Desert, one of which who was David Webb. I beleive the number of kills was three. Therefore, I bestow upon Gordon B. the title of Dr. Death, the real deal! I know I have the vote from David and the Texas Chainsaw...how about any other votes.

Mike Lee
mlee8249 is offline Find More Posts by mlee8249
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 11:38 PM
Win=span\massXpractice+lu ck
webbsolution's Avatar
Joined Jul 2007
2,764 Posts
Mike you wore this title with humility and I can only hope that Gordon will be able to do the same

On the bright side Gordon has leveraged 3 seasons of bad luck to steal your title and I'm fairly sure he is done with mid airs, collisions on landing and other lethal airframe maneuvers.....so

Will everyone please stand and recognize Dr. Death (Gordon) may your carbon stay in tact sir.

Also anyone with spare x2 3.5 parts should donate them to Gordon....


Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee8249 View Post
Okay, so now the truth about Dr. Death. This started back in 2010 when I got hit by the guys on the right side of my launch lane which blew away the right wing panel to my Shadow. Okay, I get a refly. I fly my back-up model, and on the reflight, I get a bad throw from my team mate. The plane goes left and cuts the launch line of John Diniz. We go for another reflight. Launch three has me coming off the deck quickly and cleanly and I do a good flight. However, somehow, the officials lose the score card and ask me to fly another reflight. Fine, I do that and that flight goes okay, save for two other guys who touch and claim a reflight. By simple luck of the draw, my name is chosen to also fly in the reflight and that now makes 5 reflights in a row, a new record and the name of Dr. Death.

Mind you, the only thing that I did was cut the launch line of John Diniz. Now, we have a new "Dr. Death", and this one has several kills to his credit at the F3J in the Desert, one of which who was David Webb. I beleive the number of kills was three. Therefore, I bestow upon Gordon B. the title of Dr. Death, the real deal! I know I have the vote from David and the Texas Chainsaw...how about any other votes.

Mike Lee
webbsolution is offline Find More Posts by webbsolution
Last edited by webbsolution; Feb 25, 2013 at 03:08 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 01:19 PM
RIP MC
fnnwizard's Avatar
United States, CA, Midway City
Joined Dec 2003
3,176 Posts
A little update on 3.8 X2

I finally got some time on the X2 3.8 and about the only thing I am confident in with regards to the settings so far is the towhook position.
It's not ideal to be maidening and dialing in a plane a day before an F3J contest but I had high hopes for my X2 3.8.

It could go back another notch for very high tension f3j launches and a few more clicks of down ele. I started my cg at 120mm and so far have removed 18g of nose weight so it should be around 125, but I'll have to measure to be exact.

Keep in mind I am running smaller stabs on my X2 so the larger stab guys can surely move everything back an additional 5-9mm.

My aileron throws are far from perfect at +-20 degrees which is a bit too much for me. Flaps follow at +- 7 degrees as that is all I can get out of the servos for the time being. Stabs +-9 degrees.
I'll keep moving the cg back to the point where it would be hard to fly to see how far back she can go then move it forward a couple mm.
fnnwizard is offline Find More Posts by fnnwizard
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 03:07 PM
Win=span\massXpractice+lu ck
webbsolution's Avatar
Joined Jul 2007
2,764 Posts
I think my last cg measured at 124 and the dive test was rock solid...so that more or less correlates with your positions on cg.



Quote:
Originally Posted by fnnwizard View Post
I finally got some time on the X2 3.8 and about the only thing I am confident in with regards to the settings so far is the towhook position.
It's not ideal to be maidening and dialing in a plane a day before an F3J contest but I had high hopes for my X2 3.8.

It could go back another notch for very high tension f3j launches and a few more clicks of down ele. I started my cg at 120mm and so far have removed 18g of nose weight so it should be around 125, but I'll have to measure to be exact.

Keep in mind I am running smaller stabs on my X2 so the larger stab guys can surely move everything back an additional 5-9mm.

My aileron throws are far from perfect at +-20 degrees which is a bit too much for me. Flaps follow at +- 7 degrees as that is all I can get out of the servos for the time being. Stabs +-9 degrees.
I'll keep moving the cg back to the point where it would be hard to fly to see how far back she can go then move it forward a couple mm.
webbsolution is offline Find More Posts by webbsolution
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 01, 2013, 06:22 AM
Registered User
Tuomo's Avatar
Jyvaskyla, Finland
Joined Aug 2003
2,399 Posts
Has anybody mounted flap servos backwards, output axle towards the hinge line?

My both Xp2s have a conventional flap servo arrangement. However, due to thicker hinge line and other minor changes, the geometry is little different from Xp1, making the very nice 45mm pushrods from RC Metal Bitz a little on the short side. I use the 45mm pushrods with plastic MP-Jet kwik links and I want to screw the pushrod all the way into kwil link threads.

http://www.rcmetalbitz.co.uk/Pages/default.aspx

Another possibility is to self-manufacture 50-55mm long pushrods.
Tuomo is offline Find More Posts by Tuomo
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 01, 2013, 09:27 AM
Win=span\massXpractice+lu ck
webbsolution's Avatar
Joined Jul 2007
2,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuomo View Post
Has anybody mounted flap servos backwards, output axle towards the hinge line?

My both Xp2s have a conventional flap servo arrangement. However, due to thicker hinge line and other minor changes, the geometry is little different from Xp1, making the very nice 45mm pushrods from RC Metal Bitz a little on the short side. I use the 45mm pushrods with plastic MP-Jet kwik links and I want to screw the pushrod all the way into kwil link threads.

http://www.rcmetalbitz.co.uk/Pages/default.aspx

Another possibility is to self-manufacture 50-55mm long pushrods.
I always made my own from carbon rod and hays 131 clevises - takes me about 5 minutes to make a set once I had the template which I sit in the calipers for an exact length duplicate -

They are liter and will not bend in extreme scenarios like metal - also they reduce the overall strain on the servo output gears keeping my servos slop free longer - This is pretty important when using smaller servos like the 809 from Sanwa -
webbsolution is offline Find More Posts by webbsolution
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 01, 2013, 10:32 AM
Registered User
United States, VA, Norfolk
Joined Sep 2007
411 Posts
Is there a difference between the X1 and X2 horizontal stabs? Specifically the 3.5? I am just talking about the normal stabs, not the super light weight stabs.
burke757 is offline Find More Posts by burke757
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 01, 2013, 10:35 AM
Detail Freak
target's Avatar
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuomo View Post
Has anybody mounted flap servos backwards, output axle towards the hinge line?
I believe that Tuan normally sets up his servos with the shaft aft towards the hings line.

R,
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product 0.9g Retracts Mk.II *NOW LASER CUT* Yellow Baron Scratchbuilt Indoor and Micro Models 2 May 29, 2012 04:38 AM
Wanted Hangar 9 Spitfire MK II 60 Parts cessnajfb Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Mar 11, 2012 08:47 PM
Sold *Price Reduced* Saito FA-45 MK II sscherin Aircraft - Fuel - Engines and Accessories (FS/W) 1 Mar 11, 2012 12:06 PM
For Sale: Carl Goldberg Classic Falcon 56 mk II and Skylark 56 mk II kasra Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Nov 22, 2004 03:35 AM