HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:07 PM
United States, AZ, Buckeye
Joined Mar 2010
649 Posts
Target

That's why you need to run FUTABA servos. I use the hyperions unregulated in my planes.

Joe
J. Wydronek is offline Find More Posts by J. Wydronek
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:41 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,423 Posts
You mean like the Futaba 3150 that isn't rated for more than 4.8v?

I like the Hyperions also....

R,
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:49 PM
Win=span\massXpractice+lu ck
Joined Jul 2007
2,934 Posts
I ran the 6.6v 850 mah Life pack last season on my SL 4.0 and at the F3J world Cup unregulated- I had no issues with any of my servos.

I have noted that some life packs appear to have a wide range of peak Voltage and I am careful to take my pack off charge - leave it for 10 mins or so 99% of the time to let the volts settle.

Then I tested the peak voltage of my 850 6.6v pack against a 5 cell Enloope pack and found the enloope pack to peak out higher and more often than the Life pack in my possession so - having flown with 5 cell AA packs and these servos for YEARS I saw less evidence to support a major voltage issue at lease with the gear I had to test with.

I have been really slow to adopt to Life packs because of some early servo failures but I think that might have been a common component failure among servo manufacturers since it appeared in JR ATX / and a couple other brands then never seemed to be replicated again.
webbsolution is online now Find More Posts by webbsolution
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:55 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,423 Posts
The main difference to me appears to be what happens to the voltages when a servo stalls.
That's what fries the servos.

R,
Target
I'm just bustin' Joe's balls a bit for being a 'brander'... I know that the 3150's are fine on unregulated Life if they don't have any binding going on.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:50 PM
Joined Jul 2007
2,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by target View Post
The main difference to me appears to be what happens to the voltages when a servo stalls.
That's what fries the servos.

R,
Target
I'm just bustin' Joe's balls a bit for being a 'brander'... I know that the 3150's are fine on unregulated Life if they don't have any binding going on.
AMEN!

Very few (if any) of these servos were engineered with the concept that they would be hooked up to a 25C potential draw in a stalling scenario!

And I dont think I can say enough about binding servos and stalling scenarios -

Subjecting digital servos to binding be it from a bad install (dragging linkage) or crap on the surface or simply leaving your flaps down on landing - thats out of the scope of acceptable gear usage to me. You might as well smash it with a hammer and complain to the MFR.

Just take a heat sensor - put it on a digi in the shop and then add in some friction at the clean position so the servos is constantly trying to recenter -and on all portions of the curve - work your servos for 10-15 mins - record and repeat without the drag - the heat difference between a clean install and "almost clean" is huge and heat is a killer.

Anyways - sorry for the rant - I am packing my X2 4.0 wing into my custom sport tube with a coroplast insert and Uber bubble wrap - I hope it makes it unscathed!
Old Feb 18, 2013, 08:09 PM
Joined Mar 2010
649 Posts
Target

I have a pretty good reason to be a Brander. I ran the 3150 servos and never had an issue. Now I use the 3171sb servos and also the 3157 metal gear micro servos. No centering issues and zero slop. Oh and they are quite.

Joe
Old Feb 18, 2013, 08:20 PM
Always more to Xplore
near Sacramento, CA
Joined Aug 2010
789 Posts
Okay, someone has to give the obligatory engineering POV on using LiFe packs with servos not rated for LiFe so I guess it's me . Just because there are many anecdotal reports of "no problemo" doesn't mean it's 100% okay. As most of you know this has been thoroughly hashed out in other threads but for any newbies here's the caveat: the electrical designers of the servos have reasons for specifying voltage limits.

From my phone call notes with one servo manufacturer last year (from which I had servo failures), if you run the motors at higher than rated voltages it could result in shorter motor life.

Cheap and very reliable regulators exist if you want to play by the rated voltage rules.

Not expecting or trying to change anyone's mind who is already using LiFe with non-HV servos. If it's workin' for ya then so far so good!

Chris B.
SoaringDude is online now Find More Posts by SoaringDude
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:03 PM
Joined Mar 2010
649 Posts
Chris

My whole problem with a regulator is that its another failure point in my aircraft. I want to keep failures points to a minimum. The reason I do not hesitate to run an unregulated life pack is simple. I have run 5 cell nimh packs for a long time. The voltage on a fully charged pack is well over 6 volts. If I remember correctly its over 7 volts. My life packs are in the same range as the nimh packs. I luckily haven't had a failure and hope I never do.
On to the x2 subject. I can't wait to try out the 4m version.

Joe Wydronek
Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:14 AM
Jyvaskyla, Finland
Joined Aug 2003
2,416 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by P-51flyer View Post
Hey Tuomo,

Using the standard fuse I have had to go to a 850mah Hyperion LiFe and regulator. You could try and dig out some off the lead shot but it's a pain in the... You know what. I am about to head out to fly it some more before it gets packed up.

Aaron
That is the reason why I asked... I have 850mAh nimhs in my light 3.8m Xp2. Using such a small capacity rx pack in unnecessary fuss in flying field.
Tuomo is offline Find More Posts by Tuomo
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:01 AM
RV7guy
Chandler, AZ
Joined May 2004
328 Posts
LiFe packs

I'm using unregulated LiFe packs in my sailplanes. Hyperion 1450's in the Open planes and 850's in my Sprites. The servos are 3171's in the Open planes and 3156's in my Sprites. No problems so far.

I work very hard to check all linkages for smoothness with no binding in all end points. Futaba servos run silent so if there is a noise, there is load somewhere.

I am also running telemetry so I can get a current voltage at a glance. I always check before launches. As a data point, I've logged over two hours of "on" time and never seen the voltage drop below 6.6 volts. After charging, the most I've added is 348 mah's.

With an 850 pack I would definitely be a little more careful. Although I've had similar mah pulls from my 2 meter's I'd suspect they would be a little higher with an open class ship. At the NATS, I charged my 2 meter after 4 rounds to make sure.

Darwin N. Barrie
Chandler, AZ
Team Futaba
dnbarrie11 is offline Find More Posts by dnbarrie11
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:39 AM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,423 Posts
I flew the piss out of my Supra the other day, off the bungee, for about 4.5 hours.
The plane was off for about a half hour when my bungee broke at the stake end.
The plane has an 1100ma A123 cell pack.
I put back in 846ma afterwards.
Thats about as far as I would take it.

R,
Target
Old Feb 19, 2013, 11:31 AM
Joined Jul 2007
2,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by target View Post
I flew the piss out of my Supra the other day, off the bungee, for about 4.5 hours.
The plane was off for about a half hour when my bungee broke at the stake end.
The plane has an 1100ma A123 cell pack.
I put back in 846ma afterwards.
Thats about as far as I would take it.

R,
Target
piss is just dead weight on a Supra - good for you bro!
Old Feb 19, 2013, 02:55 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,423 Posts
Its a socal phrase.
I did not actually witness the plane urinate.

Good luck in AZ, David.

R,
Target
Old Feb 19, 2013, 03:14 PM
Fly R/C writer
Redlands, Ca
Joined Dec 2004
1,923 Posts
It wasn't obvious from the vapor trail you were seeing the plane leave behind?
mlee8249 is online now Find More Posts by mlee8249
Old Feb 19, 2013, 04:16 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,771 Posts
I usually just pour it outa my X and I2... Oh, no... that's my boot... with instructions written on the heel...
schrederman is online now Find More Posts by schrederman