SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 06, 2012, 02:52 PM
Jody Miller
Orlando, Fl
Joined Jun 2009
487 Posts
I second that Tuomo. I always, always, always put a piece of packing tape on the underside of the wing right at the hinge line.
Jody
sailjester2811 is offline Find More Posts by sailjester2811
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2012, 03:06 PM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuomo View Post
My tape does not split I use a piece (about stamp size) of fg-tape close to hinge line.
Eek. That's how you limit damage from a hard arrival! You don't want a bullet-proof connection there!
Woodstock 1 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Nov 06, 2012, 07:51 PM
United States, VA, Norfolk
Joined Sep 2007
441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjester2811 View Post
I second that Tuomo. I always, always, always put a piece of packing tape on the underside of the wing right at the hinge line.
Jody
Jody, is it extra strength tape or is it just the regular clear packing tape? I have had the packing tape rip on hard dorks. I was wondering if I should be using stronger tape or is that normal on harder dork landings.

Randy
burke757 is offline Find More Posts by burke757
Old Nov 07, 2012, 02:54 AM
Jyvaskyla, Finland
Joined Aug 2003
2,434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by burke757 View Post
Jody, is it extra strength tape or is it just the regular clear packing tape? I have had the packing tape rip on hard dorks. I was wondering if I should be using stronger tape or is that normal on harder dork landings.

Randy
For me it is fiberglass tape. About same size as largish stamp.

Everything breaks if you dork it hard enough often enough. In Xplorer this tape is nice because joiner to joiner box fit is not so good as in some other planes. Without fg-tape wings pull out a few mm in each just a little harder landing. Replacing the tape is extra work and eventually the wing tip movement can work incidence pins loose - seen this happen, although not on my Xplorer.
Tuomo is offline Find More Posts by Tuomo
Old Nov 08, 2012, 08:29 AM
United States, VA, Falls Church
Joined Mar 2007
1,371 Posts
Tuomo,

My Explorer fits together extremely well. Joiner pockets are solid and quite tight.

People - How hard are you landing? With the fit on the Explorer joiners, if you're popping the tape... you're not landing... you're crashing...
Daryl Perkins is offline Find More Posts by Daryl Perkins
Old Nov 08, 2012, 08:57 AM
Jyvaskyla, Finland
Joined Aug 2003
2,434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl Perkins View Post
Tuomo,

My Explorer fits together extremely well. Joiner pockets are solid and quite tight.
My Xp2 joiners are reasonably tight. Xp1 has has plenty of fore/aft play. Maybe NAN is learning
Tuomo is offline Find More Posts by Tuomo
Old Nov 08, 2012, 09:55 AM
Always more to Xplore
near Sacramento, CA
Joined Aug 2010
843 Posts
Both my X1-4.0 joiners were slightly wobbly up-down. Tony Kilwein turned me onto this nice fix: took care of it using a single layer of 3/4" wide 1-mil Kapton tape on the joiner on the tip and main panel sides. Now nice and tight. If one tape layer isn't enough you can apply more.

Chris B.
SoaringDude is online now Find More Posts by SoaringDude
Old Nov 08, 2012, 10:02 AM
F3B
Warwickshire, England
Joined Sep 2006
5,527 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl Perkins View Post
Tuomo,

People - How hard are you landing? With the fit on the Explorer joiners, if you're popping the tape... you're not landing... you're crashing...
The left and right wing panels don't seem to butt to the centre panel on the same angle on mine. There is certainly a ridge between the tips and the centre panel. There is a fairly big gap between the tips and the centre panel if viewed from below, as well.

It doesn't require any sanding to fit together.

To be honest overall I would rate the model as pretty poor finish wise, for the cost at least. If you compare to something like a fosa (similar cost), it is not even close IMHO.
satinet is offline Find More Posts by satinet
Old Nov 10, 2012, 01:20 AM
Joined Mar 2011
38 Posts
I too noticed some fit issues with mine... the joiners were a really tight fit as they seemed to be to wide to fit (fore and aft) so I could barely plug them in let alone remove them again. The fit was like this to both center- as well as tip-panels. One joiner seemed to fit slightly better than the other. After sanding them lightly so that they now are a little easier to fit/remove I have noticed some up-down play, though not very much. The most astonishing and annoying thing about the joiners is that they are different from each other, one has a much greater angle than the other. In the end the wing fit together quite well but I do wonder though if anyone else notices the left and right wings have different dihedral angles...
freddan2244 is offline Find More Posts by freddan2244
Old Nov 10, 2012, 01:43 AM
San Diego
Joined Aug 2004
2,283 Posts
All my joiners are the same. From what I recall they do make joiners with a greater angle. My guess is you accidentally got one of these ...
Tom
Kiesling is online now Find More Posts by Kiesling
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:04 AM
Joined Mar 2011
38 Posts
I'll have to check if they both says '8 degrees'... I know at least one of them have that sort of stamped on it. How would one go about getting replacements? I can't seem to find any contact info on Nan's website and none of the retailers have the joiners, or any other replacement parts either listed on their websites. I know if one were to crash so that the joiners break, then getting new ones seems to be the least of your worries, right?
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:46 AM
F3B
Warwickshire, England
Joined Sep 2006
5,527 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddan2244 View Post
I'll have to check if they both says '8 degrees'... I know at least one of them have that sort of stamped on it. How would one go about getting replacements? I can't seem to find any contact info on Nan's website and none of the retailers have the joiners, or any other replacement parts either listed on their websites. I know if one were to crash so that the joiners break, then getting new ones seems to be the least of your worries, right?
If you bought the model from either nan our a dealer and it was supplied with the wrong parts, I would expect them to replace it with the right one FOC.
satinet is offline Find More Posts by satinet
Old Nov 11, 2012, 09:05 PM
Bro
Southern California
Joined Feb 2003
1,946 Posts
X2

Freddan,
We have many spare parts in stock, and many spare joiners.
IF that model came from us, we will fix it.
IF it did not come from us, we have parts.

Thanks,
Bro
Bro is offline Find More Posts by Bro
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:32 PM
Flightcomp.com
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Apr 2006
1,714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bro View Post
Freddan,

Thanks,
Bro
That right there, is what you call good customer service.
ak79 is online now Find More Posts by ak79
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:39 PM
Joined Mar 2011
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bro View Post
Freddan,

Thanks,
Bro
Thanks but the model didn't come from you, it came from a european retailer, I'll contact them about it. If they don't have them as spare parts or there's any other reason they can't help me I'll be in touch with you about buying replacement joiners. Thank you anyways.