SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Oct 03, 2012, 05:13 PM
Registered User
Tuomo's Avatar
Jyvaskyla, Finland
Joined Aug 2003
2,446 Posts
Canopy is fiberglass construction. No problems with 2.4. Just checked.
Tuomo is offline Find More Posts by Tuomo
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2012, 05:23 PM
Flightcomp.com
ak79's Avatar
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Apr 2006
1,719 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineDSacro View Post
Out of interest what does your X2 3.8 weigh please ?
64.1 oz or whatever that is in grams

the 3.5 is 59.6 oz
ak79 is online now Find More Posts by ak79
Site Sponsor
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 03, 2012, 05:36 PM
Registered User
Tuomo's Avatar
Jyvaskyla, Finland
Joined Aug 2003
2,446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak79 View Post
64.1 oz or whatever that is in grams

the 3.5 is 59.6 oz
Lets say it is 1.8kg. At this side of the ocean it will do. Nobody measures the planes to accuracy of grams

Nice weight for light weather.
Tuomo is offline Find More Posts by Tuomo
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 03, 2012, 06:23 PM
Daryl Perkins's Avatar
United States, VA, Falls Church
Joined Mar 2007
1,372 Posts
1.5kg 4.0 ;)

Tuomo, I've got a 1.5kg 4m.... What should I do with that?

I was going to sell it. But it's just too cool...
Daryl Perkins is offline Find More Posts by Daryl Perkins
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 03, 2012, 06:32 PM
Flightcomp.com
ak79's Avatar
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Apr 2006
1,719 Posts
I would like way more rudder in both the 3.5 and 3.8 I am at max rudder input's constantly, especially with low level lift.
ak79 is online now Find More Posts by ak79
Site Sponsor
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 03, 2012, 10:30 PM
Win=span\massXpractice+lu ck
webbsolution's Avatar
Joined Jul 2007
3,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak79 View Post
I would like way more rudder in both the 3.5 and 3.8 I am at max rudder input's constantly, especially with low level lift.

I had that same experience when I was flying too far forward -

I noted your post back a page or two -

" fly mine at 119, it is a 3.5 X2, the weight is down to 59oz now. I find with a further aft CG and the plane being so light it gets way to wobbly and bobbly. I always have to push down to keep it tracking, especially if there is any breeze. I prefer to be nose heavy with this model. "

I think that is a factor

Maybe you could find a more functional happier medium at least at 123 and you may find your rudder inputs are better - in fact they become totally responsive at about 126+ and I have rarely had to use full throws even when I hand launch into a low level thermal.
webbsolution is offline Find More Posts by webbsolution
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 03, 2012, 10:31 PM
Win=span\massXpractice+lu ck
webbsolution's Avatar
Joined Jul 2007
3,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl Perkins View Post
Tuomo, I've got a 1.5kg 4m.... What should I do with that?

I was going to sell it. But it's just too cool...
Its obviously 1 full Kilo too lite - so its crap and you should sell it to me.
webbsolution is offline Find More Posts by webbsolution
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 04, 2012, 12:29 AM
Registered User
Tuomo's Avatar
Jyvaskyla, Finland
Joined Aug 2003
2,446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl Perkins View Post
Tuomo, I've got a 1.5kg 4m.... What should I do with that?

I was going to sell it. But it's just too cool...
Xplorer2?? Better wake up early so that you are in the field before wind picks up

Seriously, not thinking of dlg like low altitude flying, does this plane fly better than the normal light versions? I am thinking of floating and distance flight.
Tuomo is offline Find More Posts by Tuomo
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 04, 2012, 06:35 AM
Daryl Perkins's Avatar
United States, VA, Falls Church
Joined Mar 2007
1,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuomo View Post
Xplorer2?? Better wake up early so that you are in the field before wind picks up

Seriously, not thinking of dlg like low altitude flying, does this plane fly better than the normal light versions? I am thinking of floating and distance flight.
Yes, it's a 4m X2. One of only a couple so far, I am told, out of the prototype molds. It's a very special model. Nan built it for me for this past worlds. It was blowing too hard to ever use it in the prelims. But I did use it for the first round of the flyoffs. I was off in about 1.5 sec., then I landed about 2.5 sec early with a 41 cm landing negating any advantage I had. I got it too late, and never had the time or conditions to practice with it.

It has opened my eyes about lightweight models. AND, the sections that will be required for these uber light weights. The X2 section lends itself very well to a light model. I never thought I'd encounter conditions that it would prove to be an advantage in, but I was wrong. I used it pretty much exclusively at the WSM. (Except the two insanely windy rounds) And I flew it dry most of the time.

My point is, don't immediately discount the light X2's. They work... And they work at a lower AUW than I ever expected to happy with.
Daryl Perkins is offline Find More Posts by Daryl Perkins
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 04, 2012, 06:50 AM
Registered User
R.M. Gellart's Avatar
Joined Nov 2005
3,589 Posts
I am not an X guy, but I admit that picking up DP's X2 LT was a moment that I thought was not doable in this day and time. When I picked it up, I asked Daryl, "Did you ever expect, even five years ago, a ship this big and this light?". He looked at me and said, "No Way".

I have never even sticked an X of any type, you do not see any around the midwest on normal days, but this one ship is so unique, I think it needs to go to the AMA Museum.

Marc
R.M. Gellart is online now Find More Posts by R.M. Gellart
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 04, 2012, 07:46 AM
Registered User
Tuomo's Avatar
Jyvaskyla, Finland
Joined Aug 2003
2,446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl Perkins View Post
Yes, it's a 4m X2. One of only a couple so far, I am told, out of the prototype molds. It's a very special model. Nan built it for me for this past worlds. It was blowing too hard to ever use it in the prelims. But I did use it for the first round of the flyoffs. I was off in about 1.5 sec., then I landed about 2.5 sec early with a 41 cm landing negating any advantage I had. I got it too late, and never had the time or conditions to practice with it.

It has opened my eyes about lightweight models. AND, the sections that will be required for these uber light weights. The X2 section lends itself very well to a light model. I never thought I'd encounter conditions that it would prove to be an advantage in, but I was wrong. I used it pretty much exclusively at the WSM. (Except the two insanely windy rounds) And I flew it dry most of the time.
Thanks for sharing the experience. I have a very new 4m Xp2, still not flown. It is normal weight and I am mostly interested in flying it in normal conditions. Should cover ground really nicely

But it crossed in my mind how light fuselage and foam tail would change 4m Xp2. Can we expect a light 4m Xp2 to hang better than alight 3.8? Given equal wing loading, increasing span maybe mostly improves glide? And probably the shorter span version will launch quicker/higher and turn tighter. Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl Perkins View Post
My point is, don't immediately discount the light X2's. They work... And they work at a lower AUW than I ever expected to happy with.
My 2kg AUW statement, Dave seems to remember so well refers to Xplorer with original airfoil. At low weights it floats very very nicely but no matter how much ballast, it is not my favorite plane windy or active conditions.
Tuomo is offline Find More Posts by Tuomo
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 04, 2012, 08:26 AM
Daryl Perkins's Avatar
United States, VA, Falls Church
Joined Mar 2007
1,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVSS Boss View Post
I am not an X guy, but I admit that picking up DP's X2 LT was a moment that I thought was not doable in this day and time. When I picked it up, I asked Daryl, "Did you ever expect, even five years ago, a ship this big and this light?". He looked at me and said, "No Way".

I have never even sticked an X of any type, you do not see any around the midwest on normal days, but this one ship is so unique, I think it needs to go to the AMA Museum.

Marc
Yeah. About the time they pry it fron my cold dead hands...

I told Bob I wanted to sell it, and get one EXACTLY like it early next year. His response was something like ," Yeah D, better hang onto the one you've got. You're not world champ anymore... "
Daryl Perkins is offline Find More Posts by Daryl Perkins
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 04, 2012, 09:07 AM
Registered User
R.M. Gellart's Avatar
Joined Nov 2005
3,589 Posts
LOL!!!

It is sweet DP, Marc
R.M. Gellart is online now Find More Posts by R.M. Gellart
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 04, 2012, 09:22 AM
Registered User
Larry Jolly's Avatar
Joined Oct 2003
1,924 Posts
Marc, There are many builders make light models like DP's light 4m.

The one thing they all these feather weights have in common is that they are specialty airplanes.
You have to watch the launch stresses, andthey really show wear and tear quickly.
They are not an airplane for the avergae clubby. In addition you have to be on your toes while flying them. They don't appeal to me since I end up flying in the real world. LJ
Larry Jolly is offline Find More Posts by Larry Jolly
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 04, 2012, 10:07 AM
Registered User
R.M. Gellart's Avatar
Joined Nov 2005
3,589 Posts
Wow Mr. Wizard, tell me more???

Thanks for filling in the obvious Larry. All my comments were made for was to reinforce of how this is the biggest/lightest rc sailplane I have seen, that is all.

Marc
R.M. Gellart is online now Find More Posts by R.M. Gellart
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product 0.9g Retracts Mk.II *NOW LASER CUT* Yellow Baron Scratchbuilt Indoor and Micro Models 2 May 29, 2012 05:38 AM
Wanted Hangar 9 Spitfire MK II 60 Parts cessnajfb Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Mar 11, 2012 09:47 PM
Sold *Price Reduced* Saito FA-45 MK II sscherin Aircraft - Fuel - Engines and Accessories (FS/W) 1 Mar 11, 2012 01:06 PM
For Sale: Carl Goldberg Classic Falcon 56 mk II and Skylark 56 mk II kasra Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Nov 22, 2004 04:35 AM