HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 05, 2012, 03:21 PM
Joined Sep 2006
106 Posts
I have about 50 launches on my X2-3.8, and playing with the CG all long. Final flying weight is 64.5oz., CG@ 123mm. Easy to fly @ this CG and still sinsitive to light lift.
Last contest I was landing(2 min. short of time),10-15ft. high, hit a slight bump, a few tight
turns and up she went. The plane is really good in light lift! Won the contest ( against Maxa's,Supras,Zeniths,Aspire,Explorer 4m and 3.5). It's a real competitive plane but needs 4 to 6 mm of camber to take full advantage of light lift (in my opinion). Launches to the moon, easy to land, no bad habits.
Thanks Bob for bringing in new competitive planes that make the average flyer look good.
gary1201 is offline Find More Posts by gary1201
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 06, 2012, 08:49 AM
United States, VA, Falls Church
Joined Mar 2007
1,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by webbsolution View Post
No this years WC is going to be won by the most consistent pilot...he will simply have to work harder if he is not flying an Xplorer

DW
Nah, Dave, unfortunately, F3J has little to do with consistency, just a few rounds of flyoff brilliance and risk taking. It's a shame that world titles are decided this way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricko Ticko View Post

I'm happy to bet a Budweiser that the worlds will be won by a three piece wing and definitely not by an icon I, II, or III.....

Its the year of the Remington!
Go Cody!
DOH!!! Good thing I don't drink Bud or I'd take that bet...

I'd love to see Cody do well. I know he's been practicing hard for this. He'll be tough in the LZ. He's always a tough competitor. And worse than that, he's just a great kid.

I wish all the competitors the best of luck and skill, but mostly, have fun. See ya'll in SA.
Daryl Perkins is offline Find More Posts by Daryl Perkins
Old Jul 06, 2012, 12:22 PM
San Diego
Joined Aug 2004
2,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl Perkins View Post
Nah, Dave, unfortunately, F3J has little to do with consistency, just a few rounds of flyoff brilliance and risk taking. It's a shame that world titles are decided this way.

I wish all the competitors the best of luck and skill, but mostly, have fun. See ya'll in SA.
+1
totally agree
Kiesling is online now Find More Posts by Kiesling
Old Jul 06, 2012, 05:12 PM
Flightcomp.com
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Apr 2006
1,719 Posts
Well I would have maidened my X2 this weekend but apprently it takes a week to pull a battery off the shelf and put it in the mail.
ak79 is offline Find More Posts by ak79
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 06, 2012, 07:07 PM
Win=span\massXpractice+lu ck
Joined Jul 2007
3,094 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak79 View Post
Well I would have maidened my X2 this weekend but apprently it takes a week to pull a battery off the shelf and put it in the mail.
Cant you power those futaba DLG servos with a watch battery ?
webbsolution is online now Find More Posts by webbsolution
Old Jul 06, 2012, 07:12 PM
Joined Jul 2007
3,094 Posts
Quote:

DOH!!! Good thing I don't drink Bud or I'd take that bet...

I'd love to see Cody do well. I know he's been practicing hard for this. He'll be tough in the LZ. He's always a tough competitor. And worse than that, he's just a great kid.

Yea he F3J scene is a wee bit off the target contest it was designed to promote...

Spent the better part of today doing J tows - optimizing - getting things closer to perfect - still work to do but the margins are shrinking.

Looking forward to SA -
Old Jul 07, 2012, 06:30 PM
Joined Jul 2007
3,094 Posts
DP / Kiesling - and anyone who has already obtained thier team planes, specifically the SL X2's can you please PM asap ? The new planes are amazing....I just need to confirm a small technical detail.
Old Jul 07, 2012, 06:39 PM
Joined Oct 2003
1,926 Posts
Webb man did I read that right.... Perkins is going Bulgarian for the Worlds ??????
Larry Jolly is offline Find More Posts by Larry Jolly
Old Jul 07, 2012, 07:43 PM
Joined Jul 2007
3,094 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Jolly View Post
Webb man did I read that right.... Perkins is going Bulgarian for the Worlds ??????

I was not implying that I just meant that if anyone has access to the team planes and why would DP not have such options - then they could PM me. However Bob beat you all to it and asnwered the question in detail so im good.

The new planes are awesome - Nan outdid themselves - love it.

DW
Old Jul 08, 2012, 03:14 AM
Norway
Joined Dec 2003
1,475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiesling View Post
+1
totally agree
Then why do you keep flying it?
jojoen is offline Find More Posts by jojoen
Old Jul 08, 2012, 04:25 AM
launch low, fly high
New Zealand, Hawke's Bay, Havelock North
Joined Dec 2004
1,884 Posts
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiesling View Post
+1
totally agree
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoen View Post
I cannot speak for Tom in regards to his rationale for posting his response.

I can post my viewpoint. My personal view is that I keep flying F3J for the fun of the event, and to continue with my friendships in the sport of rc soaring. In regards to the upcoming WC, I can also state that our intention is to attempt to defend our current team WC in an honorable manner.

F3J has many good things about it, although there are some elements that could be improved. F3J is one of two pure thermal type events on the WC calendar. The other does not have landings, but does have an athletic aspect to it in regards to the launch. On the other hand, F3J has a large emphasis on the landing aspect which dilutes the thermal aspect. F3J also can have a large subjective element due to the working time restriction ("was that landing late", or "was that launch early?"). The subjective element can provide controversy at times. I think I remember a video from Jojo from a prior WC that is an excellent example of the issues regarding the subjective element.
Joe W is offline Find More Posts by Joe W
Old Jul 08, 2012, 08:17 AM
United States, VA, Falls Church
Joined Mar 2007
1,372 Posts
Quote:
Cuz it's fun. Probably the most fun form of thermal duration type of competition with unlimited size models. But I personally would like to see the scoring format changed to allow scores to be carried from the prelims into the fly offs. It seems a shame to fly all those rounds, and then throw away all that flying.

And to keep this Sploder related....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Jolly View Post
Lol LJ... Always lookin for drama. No, I have not jumped ship. My I2's are the perfect fit for me in 99% of contest conditions. But.... Anyone who believes there is one design that is perfect for all conditions is fooling themselves. So, yes, I have added an old style, but new lightweight construction, 4.0 to my quiver. Just hedging my bets should I be fortunate enough to make the fly offs for that first 8:45 am flight. My new 4.0 should show up tomorrow. I'll be bringing 3 Icon 2's, and a lightweight 4.0. I'll make a decision about what to check in when I see the conditions.

D
Daryl Perkins is offline Find More Posts by Daryl Perkins
Old Jul 08, 2012, 10:44 AM
Joined Oct 2003
1,926 Posts
Daryl,
No drama here....I am just surprised that you are considering taking a different design model with you to the champs ,with less than 4 weeks before departure. My way of thinking is the Xplorer can be little more than a warm fuzzy for you since, there is little chance that you will pull it out considering your lack of experience with it. I am trying to think of the conditions where a 4m Xplorer will hang better than a lite weight Icon2 ???? I have seen you handle them pretty easily in zero conditions at F3J in the desert. I would have thought you would have gone with one of the light weight Xplorer 2's with large span...While I may be kidding myself it seems to me that if you are skilled with a given design then you would be better off with several of those models that have wide wing loading possibility. With todays composite materials and techniques it is possible to build models in the 3.7 m span range that are strong enough and 10 -12 ounces lighter than what I have seen quoted here.
Joe you should look into GPS Triangle racing. It is much more your style considering emphasis on soaring, with minimal landing distraction.
Larry Jolly is offline Find More Posts by Larry Jolly
Old Jul 08, 2012, 04:06 PM
San Diego
Joined Aug 2004
2,319 Posts
Quote:
For the reason I put in bold. To have fun. The tactical decisions of short tows etc. makes F3J one of the most exciting soaring formats out there.

I agree with Daryl that the preliminary scores should be carried over. As long as the matrix is fair and a reasonable number of preliminary rounds are flown (10 or more) it makes sense to me to reward the top performers of the preliminary rounds with more than just a spot in the flyoffs - especially given that they have demonstrated their skills over multiple days and likely a variety of conditions.

I also know that no matter how well prepared, talented, and practiced you are, there are weird things that can happen that can keep you off the podium or out of the flyoffs. If you do make the flyoff, including the preliminary scores should provide a better statistical sample of the competitors performance and could offset any weirdness that may happen in the flyoffs (in the flyoffs weirdness could be something as simple as the official timer being slow to start the watch by a few tenths of a second or a dust devil in your landing zone that messes up your landing).

So for me, I have made it a priority to have fun. When I stop having fun, then I will stop flying F3J. Of course as a competitor, the better I do the more fun I have. Coincidentally, the more fun I'm having, the better I do. I guess what it comes down to is being in the moment and not worrying about the end game. As long as I do the best I can each flight I'll be pretty happy. If my best is good enough for a podium finish, great, if not, then I'll keep working to improve. I also won't be devastated if something weird happens or I make a mistake- sure I'll be disappointed for a little while, but it won't dominate my overall experience. Things stop being fun when people start taking a win at any cost attitude.

So, as Daryl said:

"I wish all the competitors the best of luck and skill, but mostly, have fun. See ya'll in SA."

Tom

Ps. Xplorer related content: I got my new 3.5 X2 light. I'm looking forward to flying it. I also got a spread tow fuse for my 4.0. Total flying weight with the standard tail is 62 ounces. If I was willing to go with a AAA battery pack I could get the weight down to 60 flat with the light tail. With lighter servos and a lighter harness I think I could get it down to 58 or less (I'm using MKS 6125 minis in the wing)!!! Pretty amazing what Nan has done with their structures.
Kiesling is online now Find More Posts by Kiesling
Last edited by Kiesling; Jul 08, 2012 at 04:11 PM.
Old Jul 08, 2012, 04:29 PM
Joined Jul 2007
3,094 Posts
Just completed my 3.8 Sl (x2) - looks like 56.3 oz - Charging batteries and doing the maidin flight in a couple hours -

Looks like my 4.0 fuse will not get completed until after I get home o Friday-

I drove 4 hours to intercept the Fedex shipment so I would not have to wait until monday ( when I would be out of town)