Interested!

HUGH
HHARRIS is offline Find More Posts by HHARRIS
Old Jun 07, 2012, 07:55 PM
Flightcomp.com
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Apr 2006
1,710 Posts
Ok I should have some by the end of next week.
ak79 is offline Find More Posts by ak79
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 07, 2012, 09:16 PM
Bellevue Wa
Joined May 2007
18 Posts
Interested!
Hollymr is offline Find More Posts by Hollymr
Old Jun 07, 2012, 09:35 PM
Win=span\massXpractice+lu ck
Joined Jul 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak79 View Post
Ok I should have some by the end of next week.
free for the x2 ownership people I presume ?
webbsolution is offline Find More Posts by webbsolution
Old Jun 07, 2012, 10:46 PM
Flightcomp.com
Joined Apr 2006
1,710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by webbsolution View Post
free for the x2 ownership people I presume ?
hahahaha, no way, you gotta pay
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 07, 2012, 11:27 PM
Joined Jul 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
hahahaha, no way, you gotta pay
ahh well yea i thinkw e all figured that out - tell us how much so we know what we are looking at ...
Old Jun 08, 2012, 12:47 PM
Flightcomp.com
Joined Apr 2006
1,710 Posts
Don't really know yet, Have to wait and see what the cnc guys bills me. I don't think they will be that much.
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 13, 2012, 04:31 PM
Flightcomp.com
Joined Apr 2006
1,710 Posts
Finally getting around to installing my wing servos in the X2, all 809's in chopped down frames, I did my own harness with 26g twisted wire, with virtually no extra length. Chopped down the flap servo wires to nothing. I can get the flap servos in and use only the flat part of the servo covers with no bulge. I don't know about the ailerons yet.

Will use MP jet clevis and carbon rods for all the linkage.
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 13, 2012, 05:23 PM
Joined Jul 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Finally getting around to installing my wing servos in the X2, all 809's in chopped down frames, I did my own harness with 26g twisted wire, with virtually no extra length. Chopped down the flap servo wires to nothing. I can get the flap servos in and use only the flat part of the servo covers with no bulge. I don't know about the ailerons yet.

Will use MP jet clevis and carbon rods for all the linkage.
On the ailerons even with 809's you will find that using the same position on the arm will put the arm into a bubble inside the servo cover. Not the end of the world. I use Hays plastic clevises so I cant go any lower as the clevis would hit the servo and also the mechanical advantage would be less than ideal so its perfect as it is.

I ran 809's in my 3.5 for a long time - it was perfect - however thats a tiny case for sheer force distribution so I tied my chopped frames together over top the servo with a slim section of ply (door skin). You can see the installation in my attachments section before I applied the doorskin which went over the servo frame, bonded to the top of the servo, the two frame sides and extended to the bottom skin of the servo bay so I could effectively tie in upper and lower skins ala Joe W -

Almost three years and they never got sloppy but I also never landed with them down once. If you think you might be a late flap retractor - go with another servo in that application. Otherwise they will likely be great!
Old Jun 22, 2012, 09:09 AM
Sydney
Joined Mar 2005
80 Posts
Flying update

Finally had the opportunity to put some real mileage on the X2's over a long weekend in Aus. We had our inaugural Jerilderie event which typically turns out the best of the best pilots from Aus and these days even NZ (including JW). Its a great soaring event, top social event with a lot of good laughs.

We had all the new toys on display, from the different Maxa variants to the new perfection and of course Muller Egs.

From my perspective it was a great chance to wring out the X2's. I got my 2nd X2 maiden the day before the event was due to start. This gave me my first full day flying on the X2's, nothing like dialling in a new model the day before the comp starts.

Model 2 (red 3.8) built out to 1830g done, again all MKS servo's throughout with LiFe upfront - 30grams heavier than the first X2.

Launching, it was great to get the X2 dialed in for winch launching, full mono lines 150m to the turnaround. I moved the tow hook straight to the back of the slot and the x2 rotated well, and pulls hard all the way through to the zoom. One surprise was the acceleration into the zoom, man this thing really transitions nicely and gets on step quickly. Another interest thing you can tinker with which shows the X2's J pedigree is the speed up the line. Small adjustments to the camber demonstrated a wide speed range. Did the wing flex - yep, but mostly on the joiners.

Over 14 rounds of mixed conditions the X2 ticked all the boxes for me. I ended up tweaking most settings right up into day 3, but nothing drastic. It can hang, it demonstrated this a number of times and gave me a false sense of security because it did it so well. In dead air conditions, camber up and jog. Or sit the X2 on its tail and drift back with the buoyant channel. 10 minutes in dead air is very comfortable.

Coming home or chasing downwind the X2 has good legs. Never really felt uncomfortable moving around the sky, its LD is impressive and as good as anything else i've flown. This is the biggest differentiator to the X1.

The only thing that let me down over the weekend was the landing circle. The X2 is a breeze to slow down and bring in, the challenges we had was the concrete landing surface. Too fast and you skipped through a few feet. Wrong angle, and she bounced backwards or forwards by a foot or two. Hit the bulls eye (plastic circle), and it would slip off the end of the tape a few feet.... By round 14 our 100 circle was like a dart board, but we had very few 100 and 99's to show for it because of the bounce factor. I never really got dialed into the landing zone and how best to approach the concrete strip. This was the difference between the top 10 pilots, only 40 points separated us after 14 rounds.

At the end of the day I felt very comfortable flying the X2 against any of the current toys, new and old, and would not hesitate to buy another one given the choice.

It was great to see the lightweight X2 frame take all of the abuse from the punishing landings too over the weekend, and show no signs of stress anywhere. The MKs servos were as to be expected, nice tight and accurate.

Im still happy with the CG @ 130/131.

For those interested take a look at the scores http://www.lsfaustralia.org.au/, you can navigate into a breakdown of the landing scores which show the likes of Dave Hobby and JW taking some repeated hits in the landing circle.

JW flew his Maxa's, Dave Hobby flew a mix of perfections and Et's. Carl Strautins flew ET's and took out top place - congrats mate - and yes, we are still running trials for our team next year

Thanks again to Bob and the team for great service, the models reached my door here in Aus safely within 3 days of shipping!!
Lowey is offline Find More Posts by Lowey
Old Jun 22, 2012, 06:02 PM
Thermal Wrangler
Launceston Tasmania
Joined Mar 2004
2,127 Posts
X 2 @ 1830g

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the details on the 3.8 X2

A 3.8m flying at 1830g ( 64.55oz) and rugged airframe sounds perfect for what I need.

The extra zoom potential on ping is something I'm also looking for. The standard X needs a belly of ballast to really zoom.

The surface at Jerilderie was an issue for me; I babied my X more than dorked it.

Sonetimes it slid sometimes it didn't ;0)

It's like a spaceship entering earth's atmosphere; get the angle wrong and you bounce off into space!

I saw Joe & Marcus' technique was to use max flap, slow it to a near stall at hip height then dork it in as slow as possible minimising tail slap. IMHO Joe's 4m Maxa landed the slowest of all the ships there.

http://www.lsfaustralia.org.au
DrFragnasty is offline Find More Posts by DrFragnasty
Last edited by DrFragnasty; Jun 22, 2012 at 06:08 PM.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 11:53 PM
Sydney
Joined Mar 2005
80 Posts
Hey Chris,
I flew the 1800g white 3.8 all weekend after i dialed in the red 3.8. I was pretty concerned about the light weight feel of the models, but I gotta say that was about the toughest test I could have given it. Im just a "little" bit competitive too, model presevation doesnt come into it!!

Yep agreed, the Maxa 4 made it look easy in the landing circle once Joe got his approach dialed in, but it was giving up a lot in launch height...
Lowey is offline Find More Posts by Lowey
Old Jun 23, 2012, 12:55 AM
mmmmm....BEER
Launceston, Tasmania
Joined Jan 2010
188 Posts
Hi Matty,

Thanks for the review.

You a 'little bit competitive' ........ NAH! Is the 'ol fella' going to go down the same path?

Steve
Boagy is offline Find More Posts by Boagy
Old Jun 23, 2012, 01:28 PM
RIP MC
United States, CA, Midway City
Joined Dec 2003
3,337 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowey View Post
Finally had the opportunity to put some real mileage on the X2's over a long weekend in Aus. We had our inaugural Jerilderie event which typically turns out the best of the best pilots from Aus and these days even NZ (including JW). Its a great soaring event, top social event with a lot of good laughs.

We had all the new toys on display, from the different Maxa variants to the new perfection and of course Muller Egs.

From my perspective it was a great chance to wring out the X2's. I got my 2nd X2 maiden the day before the event was due to start. This gave me my first full day flying on the X2's, nothing like dialling in a new model the day before the comp starts.

Model 2 (red 3.8) built out to 1830g done, again all MKS servo's throughout with LiFe upfront - 30grams heavier than the first X2.

Launching, it was great to get the X2 dialed in for winch launching, full mono lines 150m to the turnaround. I moved the tow hook straight to the back of the slot and the x2 rotated well, and pulls hard all the way through to the zoom. One surprise was the acceleration into the zoom, man this thing really transitions nicely and gets on step quickly. Another interest thing you can tinker with which shows the X2's J pedigree is the speed up the line. Small adjustments to the camber demonstrated a wide speed range. Did the wing flex - yep, but mostly on the joiners.

Over 14 rounds of mixed conditions the X2 ticked all the boxes for me. I ended up tweaking most settings right up into day 3, but nothing drastic. It can hang, it demonstrated this a number of times and gave me a false sense of security because it did it so well. In dead air conditions, camber up and jog. Or sit the X2 on its tail and drift back with the buoyant channel. 10 minutes in dead air is very comfortable.

Coming home or chasing downwind the X2 has good legs. Never really felt uncomfortable moving around the sky, its LD is impressive and as good as anything else i've flown. This is the biggest differentiator to the X1.

The only thing that let me down over the weekend was the landing circle. The X2 is a breeze to slow down and bring in, the challenges we had was the concrete landing surface. Too fast and you skipped through a few feet. Wrong angle, and she bounced backwards or forwards by a foot or two. Hit the bulls eye (plastic circle), and it would slip off the end of the tape a few feet.... By round 14 our 100 circle was like a dart board, but we had very few 100 and 99's to show for it because of the bounce factor. I never really got dialed into the landing zone and how best to approach the concrete strip. This was the difference between the top 10 pilots, only 40 points separated us after 14 rounds.

At the end of the day I felt very comfortable flying the X2 against any of the current toys, new and old, and would not hesitate to buy another one given the choice.

It was great to see the lightweight X2 frame take all of the abuse from the punishing landings too over the weekend, and show no signs of stress anywhere. The MKs servos were as to be expected, nice tight and accurate.

Im still happy with the CG @ 130/131.

For those interested take a look at the scores http://www.lsfaustralia.org.au/, you can navigate into a breakdown of the landing scores which show the likes of Dave Hobby and JW taking some repeated hits in the landing circle.

JW flew his Maxa's, Dave Hobby flew a mix of perfections and Et's. Carl Strautins flew ET's and took out top place - congrats mate - and yes, we are still running trials for our team next year

Thanks again to Bob and the team for great service, the models reached my door here in Aus safely within 3 days of shipping!!
Thank for the writeup!
I feel I am the only one without an X2 .
Can't wait to get me hands on one.
fnnwizard is offline Find More Posts by fnnwizard