HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 28, 2012, 01:23 PM
Bro
Southern California
Joined Feb 2003
1,940 Posts
F3J in Rockies

Howdy,

A big congrats to Blayne for his win at the F3J in the Rockies! Consistent flying, and lots of 100 landings made the X 4000 look great!

AND Rich B. and Tom K were 3rd, and 4th.... good work guys!

And who is this Dillion kid?? Looks like he would have been 5th instead of his 7th position finish had he not landed out in the late afternoon brutal conditions.
Looks like this junior can hang with the "Big Dogs" ...

3 out of top 4 pilots flew Xplorers.... 5 out of top 10 flew Xplorers...
Some great pilot skills with the right "Tool for the job"...

Best,
Bob
Bro is offline Find More Posts by Bro
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 01, 2012, 05:36 AM
Sydney
Joined Mar 2005
80 Posts
X2 Update

Hi All,
I've now had the chance to get some stick time on the X2, Im flying the 3.8 standard lay-up.

All up weight done - 1800g, great result! I didnt build light, I built for our aussie conditions which calls for durability. Having said that @ 1800g the model has handled its test conditions really well. 1st day out was blowing 10 knots+, thermic conditions with stronger gusts. Straight off I was really impressed with how easily the model covered sky, yet add camber to the party and she can hang. Its a big hand chucky!

Im really impressed with its broad envelope too. Its got legs, can hang and crawl when needed, and I finally got it dialled in today where I can spin it round on its tip when required in tight cores. In fact this has probably been my only challenge when getting the setup I like. Lots of tinkering with differential and rudder mix to find the right combination. Landing is super easy too, yank on the stick and those big flaps bring it to a stop. Put the flaps away and its as you were, slight drop of the nose and she's back on pace again. Im pulling around 85 degree flap, it works. Plenty of elevator authority too in the landing circle to hit the spot. I am finding the X2 can be unsettled easily by turbulance on approach, I guess its a trade off with the light weight, and the extra diehedral in those big light tips.

Overall I've found the X really easy to setup. In fact I took my current Perfect ET settings for first flights, and tweaked from their. I've been an ET Samba flier for years now, and flown the Aspire in anger/competitions a few times too. Using these as my yard stick I'd say that the X2 offers broader capabilities than the ET. How much more, only small percentages on each of the things you typically measure against (hang ability, LD/legs, ease of landing etc..), but enough to make a difference for me. Has very similar performance levels to the Aspire, but has the weight advantage for light air.

I've settled on a CG of 131mm from the leading edge.

Its a keeper for me, Im really comfortable on it after only a few days out.
The only challenge now is getting enough ballast in its belly for all conditions.

Thanks team SUSA!
Lowey is offline Find More Posts by Lowey
Last edited by Lowey; Jun 01, 2012 at 07:16 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Jun 02, 2012, 07:48 AM
Jody Miller
Orlando, Fl
Joined Jun 2009
485 Posts
I totally agree with the broad envelope. It has a much larger usable flight speed range than the first version.
Jody
sailjester2811 is offline Find More Posts by sailjester2811
Old Jun 02, 2012, 10:41 AM
Win=span\massXpractice+lu ck
Joined Jul 2007
3,076 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowey View Post
Hi All,
I've now had the chance to get some stick time on the X2, Im flying the 3.8 standard lay-up.

All up weight done - 1800g, great result! I didnt build light, I built for our aussie conditions which calls for durability. Having said that @ 1800g the model has handled its test conditions really well. 1st day out was blowing 10 knots+, thermic conditions with stronger gusts. Straight off I was really impressed with how easily the model covered sky, yet add camber to the party and she can hang. Its a big hand chucky!

Im really impressed with its broad envelope too. Its got legs, can hang and crawl when needed, and I finally got it dialled in today where I can spin it round on its tip when required in tight cores. In fact this has probably been my only challenge when getting the setup I like. Lots of tinkering with differential and rudder mix to find the right combination. Landing is super easy too, yank on the stick and those big flaps bring it to a stop. Put the flaps away and its as you were, slight drop of the nose and she's back on pace again. Im pulling around 85 degree flap, it works. Plenty of elevator authority too in the landing circle to hit the spot. I am finding the X2 can be unsettled easily by turbulance on approach, I guess its a trade off with the light weight, and the extra diehedral in those big light tips.

Overall I've found the X really easy to setup. In fact I took my current Perfect ET settings for first flights, and tweaked from their. I've been an ET Samba flier for years now, and flown the Aspire in anger/competitions a few times too. Using these as my yard stick I'd say that the X2 offers broader capabilities than the ET. How much more, only small percentages on each of the things you typically measure against (hang ability, LD/legs, ease of landing etc..), but enough to make a difference for me. Has very similar performance levels to the Aspire, but has the weight advantage for light air.

I've settled on a CG of 131mm from the leading edge.

Its a keeper for me, Im really comfortable on it after only a few days out.
The only challenge now is getting enough ballast in its belly for all conditions.

Thanks team SUSA!
131mm !! I really thought I was close to a rearward CG at 121 lol - I would have to switch battery setups and go with a smaller battery or put lead on the tail to get 131.

When the SL ships come here ill have to put the battery in the tail to get that CG!

Every, time I fly the plane I see major differences. It's a total step forward. Now if somebody could do something about the rain in BC...
webbsolution is offline Find More Posts by webbsolution
Last edited by webbsolution; Jun 02, 2012 at 10:47 AM.
Old Jun 03, 2012, 01:54 AM
RIP MC
United States, CA, Midway City
Joined Dec 2003
3,270 Posts
Does anyone know where I can get a 3 sided view planform of the the X2?
Anyone want to take physical dimensions and draw one if there isn't an offical planform 3s view?
fnnwizard is offline Find More Posts by fnnwizard
Old Jun 03, 2012, 02:26 AM
Jyvaskyla, Finland
Joined Aug 2003
2,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnnwizard View Post
Does anyone know where I can get a 3 sided view planform of the the X2?
I thought it is same as original Xplorer?
Tuomo is offline Find More Posts by Tuomo
Old Jun 03, 2012, 10:04 PM
RIP MC
United States, CA, Midway City
Joined Dec 2003
3,270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuomo View Post
I thought it is same as original Xplorer?
Is it? I've not looked at one closely enough to know. Can someone with both versions confirm? Thanks.
fnnwizard is offline Find More Posts by fnnwizard
Old Jun 03, 2012, 10:19 PM
Joined Jul 2007
3,076 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnnwizard View Post
Is it? I've not looked at one closely enough to know. Can someone with both versions confirm? Thanks.
I dont see any difference in planform. But my TLAR is a little scuffed up - you should come to BC and compare for yourself!
Old Jun 03, 2012, 11:41 PM
Fly R/C writer
Redlands, Ca
Joined Dec 2004
1,949 Posts
As far as I can tell, the dimensions are the same on the 3.8 X2 vs 3.8 standard.

Mike
mlee8249 is offline Find More Posts by mlee8249
Old Jun 04, 2012, 06:39 AM
Jody Miller
Orlando, Fl
Joined Jun 2009
485 Posts
Tuomo, I have plugged new tips on old CPs and old tips on new CPs and they all fit perfect...
Except for the airfoil!
Jody
Last edited by sailjester2811; Jun 04, 2012 at 07:40 PM.
Old Jun 04, 2012, 08:13 AM
Jyvaskyla, Finland
Joined Aug 2003
2,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjester2811 View Post
Tuomo, I have plug new tips on old CPs and old tips on new CPs and they all fit perfect...
Except for the airfoil!
Jody
Yes I know. That way you can make 4 meter Xplorer1.5
Tuomo is offline Find More Posts by Tuomo
Old Jun 04, 2012, 07:40 PM
Jody Miller
Orlando, Fl
Joined Jun 2009
485 Posts
Hmmmm...
That may be something to play with.
Jody-
Old Jun 05, 2012, 05:36 PM
Flightcomp.com
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Apr 2006
1,692 Posts
I'm going to be making a few carbon adaptor plates for MPX plugs. These will drop right into any Xplorer. Would anyone be interested??
ak79 is offline Find More Posts by ak79
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 05, 2012, 06:55 PM
Joined Jul 2007
3,076 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak79 View Post
I'm going to be making a few carbon adaptor plates for MPX plugs. These will drop right into any Xplorer. Would anyone be interested??
Machined \ lazer cut ? ? yup id be interested...ideally though a non conductive material would be better...like some reasonably strong plastic.
Old Jun 05, 2012, 07:02 PM
Flightcomp.com
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Apr 2006
1,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by webbsolution View Post
Machined \ lazer cut ? ? yup id be interested...ideally though a non conductive material would be better...like some reasonably strong plastic.
Machined carbon, the whole fuse is carbon, and we bolt DB9's to it, so I'm not really to worried about that. Only the plastic MPX connector with be touching the carbon.
ak79 is offline Find More Posts by ak79
Site Sponsor