HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 14, 2012, 02:18 AM
In F3J size does matter!
Israel
Joined Nov 2006
842 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak79 View Post
I think to further save weight they should not even have ballast provisions in it.
I would recommend to have the ballast tube installed. Most of the modern SL can take winds up to 5 meter/sec (10 knots) and if you have a ballast provision it means you don't have a "specialty" plane for a mere 5% of the time.
Ballast provisions today are usually a base to attach your ballast to so they only weigh 5 to 10 grams in total (compared to the 30 gram ballast tubes of the past) so I believe them to be a wise investment for a 1600- 1800 gram model (0.3% weight increase).

In past years I had reservations of having a SL model, I had two "normal' models as primaries and my third back up was usually an old beater. I was always pressed for money when it came to planes (still am ) and I felt it wasn't the best investment to buy a SL model as they couldn't take abuse or fly in moderate wind (only calm with up to 2-3 meter/sec). I always seemed to manage the calm conditions with my normal models so I never felt like investing in a SL was practical.
Today’s SL can take some abuse during launch and can fly in active conditions and moderate wind so they are a wiser investment. I sill wouldn’t choose a SL if it was my only model and only a light (not super light ) for a second, but I would keep the ballast provision as long as the penalty isn't too big.
roydor is offline Find More Posts by roydor
to remove ads between posts
Old May 14, 2012, 03:05 AM
Jyvaskyla, Finland
Joined Aug 2003
2,429 Posts
NAN integrates ballast attachment in a very clever way to servo plate. It is minimal weight, anyway less than conventional ballast tube. Looks like the ballast front attachment is also structurally important for the integrity of cabin area.

I also agree that ballast is very usefull in todays light models. And given the very light weights we have now, a small ballast can usefull even in rather weak winds. I fly my 1800g something 3.8 meter Xplorer (the original airfoil) very often with 200g ballast just improve distance flight and make feel little more dynamic. 1800g weight is only needed in very very calm conditions with weak (or no) thermal activity.
Tuomo is online now Find More Posts by Tuomo
Old May 14, 2012, 08:52 PM
Jody Miller
Orlando, Fl
Joined Jun 2009
481 Posts
Maiden

I finally had time and weather!
Down wind Hi-start Launches produced little alt for much more than trim flights.
The model flies honest, and light on its tips. I am looking forward to really trying the new foil.
Jody
sailjester2811 is offline Find More Posts by sailjester2811
Old May 14, 2012, 10:00 PM
Win=span\massXpractice+lu ck
Joined Jul 2007
2,995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjester2811 View Post
I finally had time and weather!
Down wind Hi-start Launches produced little alt for much more than trim flights.
The model flies honest, and light on its tips. I am looking forward to really trying the new foil.
Jody
Woot another X 2 is born!

Seriously you are going to hate this model....dont waster your time with it and ship it to me.

Its fast - it can me tuned to float - it lands on sheer mental command!

Today I took mine out at 121 CG - the lift looked like total Pu$$y conditions - seriously man the blind could get 10 minutes today. So I loaded my model up with 21 ounces and tore up the air. It was way better than at 115 and at distance it was rock solid and able to move anywhere - fast!

Even nature recognizes perfection....(sorry Samba)

The Canadian geese landed and honked at me from the ground! The beavers slapped thier tales when I hit the 100 mark! The Moose and elk made serious testosterone laiden calls..it was magical.

If you dont like your model I have a nice home for it...

I might hold my breath until my 3.8 and 3.5 SL arive !

Just for the record Jody told me to go wayyyy back on the CG and try it out and you know what it rocks!
webbsolution is offline Find More Posts by webbsolution
Old May 14, 2012, 10:40 PM
Murfreesboro
Joined Jun 2009
298 Posts
Another miracle plane! Can't wait for the X3, won't even need a radio for that one.

Dying to know how the wayyyy back CG makes it rock.
fishfingers is offline Find More Posts by fishfingers
Old May 14, 2012, 10:56 PM
Flightcomp.com
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Apr 2006
1,664 Posts
I hear rumors that the X3 is already done, they are working on an X4 which promises to regrow hair, get all your times, perfect landings, and it also does your taxes.
ak79 is offline Find More Posts by ak79
Site Sponsor
Old May 14, 2012, 11:04 PM
Joined Nov 2003
158 Posts
Hi David, How do you like the new Xplorer? Missed you at Lewiston. See you at Farragut?
dougalert is offline Find More Posts by dougalert
Old May 14, 2012, 11:07 PM
Where did my plane go???
United States, CA, Tustin
Joined Nov 2008
638 Posts
Quote:
I hear rumors that the X3 is already done, they are working on an X4 which promises to regrow hair, get all your times, perfect landings, and it also does your taxes.
YAWN..... That was sooooo 40 minutes ago!

Did you get her done yet??

HUGH
HHARRIS is offline Find More Posts by HHARRIS
Old May 14, 2012, 11:21 PM
Flightcomp.com
Joined Apr 2006
1,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHARRIS View Post
YAWN..... That was sooooo 40 minutes ago!

Did you get her done yet??

HUGH

The fuse is done, and every once in a while I assemble the whole plane and stare at it.

I'm trying to motivate myself to build the wiring harness....
Site Sponsor
Old May 14, 2012, 11:32 PM
Where did my plane go???
Joined Nov 2008
638 Posts
Quote:
The fuse is done, and every once in a while I assemble the whole plane and stare at it.

I'm trying to motivate myself to build the wiring harness....
I'll pick it up tomorrow, Solder up some sweet harnesses, and do all the finishing touches.. Of course that includes trimming it out and all that not fun stuff. I'll take one for the team! You just cant find friends like me any more

HUGH
Old May 14, 2012, 11:56 PM
Flightcomp.com
Joined Apr 2006
1,664 Posts
Quote:
I'll pick it up tomorrow, Solder up some sweet harnesses, and do all the finishing touches.. Of course that includes trimming it out and all that not fun stuff. I'll take one for the team! You just cant find friends like me any more

HUGH
Thats a deal! Just don't be surprised when you open the bag and see it's Orange and has a Hitech RX in it! So dude, now that you have or will have a few "real" planes. When am I going to see you at a contest??????
Site Sponsor
Old May 15, 2012, 12:13 AM
Where did my plane go???
Joined Nov 2008
638 Posts
Quote:
Thats a deal! Just don't be surprised when you open the bag and see it's Orange and has a Hitech RX in it! So dude, now that you have or will have a few "real" planes. When am I going to see you at a contest??????
"Orange with a Hitech receiver" O.K., Now that was funny!!

I have been doing 1 contest a month since January(I might have had 2 in one of those months). Oh wait you mean F3J.... F3K is enough for me. Plus I just can't bring myself to dork my Xplorer into the ground. Its been almost 6 months of flying every week and nothing but buttery soft landings

So if you make it out to a DLG contest you can see me there.

HUGH
Old May 15, 2012, 01:02 AM
Flightcomp.com
Joined Apr 2006
1,664 Posts
Quote:
"Orange with a Hitech receiver" O.K., Now that was funny!!

I have been doing 1 contest a month since January(I might have had 2 in one of those months). Oh wait you mean F3J.... F3K is enough for me. Plus I just can't bring myself to dork my Xplorer into the ground. Its been almost 6 months of flying every week and nothing but buttery soft landings

So if you make it out to a DLG contest you can see me there.

HUGH

If I fly a DLG contest, you have to fly a TD contest, ok ok enough thread jacking, back to thinking about building my X2
Site Sponsor
Old May 15, 2012, 11:12 AM
Win=span\massXpractice+lu ck
Joined Jul 2007
2,995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfingers View Post
Another miracle plane! Can't wait for the X3, won't even need a radio for that one.

Dying to know how the wayyyy back CG makes it rock.

Well the differences between flight characteristics on my model were:

Increased legs - the model appears after a fair amount of flying to have better legs - Its not pulling out of the dive

- Its easier to turn now - feels better on the roll response -

The initiation of the turn is "different" feels better to me - at 115 there was more effort to get it to grab a low level puff exactly where I wanted it. Now I can do it with less pilot load.

I cant be entirely off beat here on this position because while my team mate was evaluating the X2 SL he started moving the CG back - as the cg went to what looked like an extreme level (the lead was almost on the tail and it was 1/4 oz!) he noted that it was flying better, " thats more like it" but also noted it could go back further he beleived. We used a field CG solution and measured 118.

So 121 isnt too far off and it seems stable. Its a personal journey - I have been challenged to take CG location and try new things.... Much better pilots than me have suggested I experience both ends of the CG spectrum I flew with a slightly forward CG for a long time - it has some positive aspects but ill not be going back.

Yesterday I flew with Arend Borst for an hour or so - we compared the penetration factor of the X2 and the maxa 3.5 - we only did one run together but covering the same air the Maxa did not catch up and I might have pulled away a bit but also noticed I could have trimmed up a click maybe... I am sure as we get closer to the WC we will be doing more technical comparisons.

Yesterday the conditions were really lifty so I loaded the model up with ballast again to try it at 80 onces and 121 CG - I kind of expected it would be unstable but it was pretty much the same model...no challenges from the CG point of view and 80 onces. It sure ripped up the sky and obviously it did not go up as fast - still a none issue because when you found the lift it was going to spec out without a problem! Covering massive sections of sky was not an issue at all!

Following LJ's advise and learning when to ballast (and what the plane needs to do when overballated) has been fun..I hope it blows again soon!
webbsolution is offline Find More Posts by webbsolution
Last edited by webbsolution; May 15, 2012 at 11:24 AM.
Old May 15, 2012, 11:55 AM
Jody Miller
Orlando, Fl
Joined Jun 2009
481 Posts
I started at about 119mm off the bench. I believe it could come back a bit from there. Still pulls smartly out of a dive.
I am loading up to go fly and try to beat the rain.
Jody
sailjester2811 is offline Find More Posts by sailjester2811