HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 19, 2012, 02:06 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,744 Posts
Discussion
Xplorer Mk. II

OK, those in the know... tell the rest of us about them... and post a few pics, please...
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 19, 2012, 02:11 PM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,095 Posts
They only come in RED

tkallev is offline Find More Posts by tkallev
Old Apr 19, 2012, 02:47 PM
Escondido, ca, usa
Joined Dec 2000
283 Posts
"They only come in RED"

Not true, see for yourself:
TThroop is offline Find More Posts by TThroop
Old Apr 19, 2012, 02:52 PM
San Diego
Joined Aug 2004
2,081 Posts
They are crazy light. Bob lent me his 3.8 Mk II and it is in the low 60 ounce range. It has no paint. So, the light ones actually only come in black! The wing structure is the same as the current ST explorers and is very strong. The fuse is spread tow. The stab is solid core with a glass skin and carbon spar. It is the big stab and weighs 33 grams. For those that don't know, that is crazy light for a stab that big. So most of the weight savings comes from the stab and fuse.

The airfoils are quite a bit different than the original Xplorer. So even though the model is significantly lighter, it actually moves around the sky much better. It is in the same ballpark as far as thickness goes, but it has a lot less camber. It also is much thinner for the first 15% of the airfoil or so and thicker in the back. I'm not an aero guy so I'm not sure exactly what the rational is, but I do know that by keeping the thickness about the same, the stiffness is similar to the original, and the model is still very easy to fly. It launches very fast. I'm sure this is due to a combination of the lower weight and faster airfoil, but I'm not sure if one is dominant. It does not float quite as nice as the 4 meter Xplorer, but it does launch higher (at least for 2 second tows). I haven't done any "dead" air comparisons to see if the extra launch height makes up for the higher sink rate. If the air is active, the difference in sink rates is not an issue. The MkII goes up just fine in any kind of lift. I do prefer the handling and landing characteristics of the 4.0 vs. the 3.8 MkII, but for those that have the original 3.8, you will feel right at home with the MkII.

For the World Championships, I'm planning on bringing at least one of the 3.5 MkIIs. It will be a little bit lighter than the 3.8 version and should be able to launch even faster. I plan on using this when the conditions are moderate to good when a quick tow is important. I'll have the 4.0 for the rounds when the conditions are tough.

No pictures, sorry! But it really looks just like the original, except it has no paint!
(edit: Terry posted a pic of Bob's model I was flying at the last club contest. The green stripes are monokote trim added by Bob)

Tom
Kiesling is online now Find More Posts by Kiesling
Old Apr 19, 2012, 05:39 PM
Launch high. Fly low.
United States, CA, Lake Elsinore
Joined Aug 2003
4,112 Posts
They're niiiiice.
Can't wait to have one.

Soar!
Jun
jcats is online now Find More Posts by jcats
Old Apr 19, 2012, 05:47 PM
San Diego
Joined Aug 2004
2,081 Posts
Thankfully, the production ones suppose to have a 2.4 friendly nose.

Tom
Kiesling is online now Find More Posts by Kiesling
Old Apr 19, 2012, 08:21 PM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,095 Posts
Don't leave it nekkid in the sun too long
Old Apr 19, 2012, 09:15 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,744 Posts
I believe a few grams of paint are in order... Nekkid... what's a Chicago Dude doin' usin a perfectly good West Texas word?
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Apr 19, 2012, 11:54 PM
Win=span\massXpractice+lu ck
Joined Jul 2007
2,774 Posts
I have 3 on order for the WC and Bob tells me 2 of them might be in next week - I am pretty stoked.

I will be bringing a fleet of X's to the WC - 2 MkII 3.5's (one ST -standard fuse and one SL - new fuse new wing) and ill bring a 3.8 MkII and a 4.0 as well as a 3.5 Xplorer ST (old style) ...likely register a 4.0 with the new fuse - a 3.5 MKII SL and a 3.8 MKII standard fuse. Like MR K when the air gets tough and longer tows are hapnin ill be flying span - the 4.0 just cant be beat in those rounds.

I have everything laid out to get my building done - servos sanded and arms in place... harnesses made - tested and waiting...shop cleaned up and organized...beer chilling in the fridge.

However I am going to have to do some healing up before I can build them... I seriously tweaked my lower back pulling cedar hedges out in my yard today and now I cant stand up without a string of interesting words robax + patron and some rest should be all I need.

Good night!
webbsolution is online now Find More Posts by webbsolution
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:43 AM
Tampere, Finland
Joined Oct 2009
141 Posts
Webbsolution, you do remember this at the World Champs!:

d) The competitor may use three model aircraft in the contest.
e) The competitor may combine the parts of the model aircraft during the contest, provided the resulting model aircraft conforms to the rules and the parts have been checked before the start of the contest.

Back to the Xplorer II!

I hope to get one this summer. 3.8 v-tail, normal ST is on order.
I really like my x-tail ST 3.8 but I do like the idea of a little lighter 3.8 that I can load with a bit of ballast if needed.

Tommy
Tommy Wee is offline Find More Posts by Tommy Wee
Old Apr 20, 2012, 01:44 AM
Jyvaskyla, Finland
Joined Aug 2003
2,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
I believe a few grams of paint are in order...
Carbon looks cool but gets soooo hot in sun Like Tommy I ordered mine with normal paint. Actually we made the order together

V-tail was natural for me since I am so happy with the way how my 3.8 meter v-tail Xplorer 1 flies. Not quite as agile as x-tail when flown too slow, but coordinated circling is more easy, I think. And as Tommy says, v-tails gives a small weight advantage. Maybe something like the fancy x-tail elevators. (When will we have fancy rochacell v-tails??)

Put together the new wing profile and structures look very promising. Despites its mediocre performance in faster airspeeds, Xplorer 1 is one of the most successful F3J ships. And with the improvements the Xplorer story will surely continue for coming years

I also hope that Nan will later come out with long Xplorer2 profile center panel. 4 meters Xplorer 1 does not have so reputation in contest circles, but the idea of combining 4 meters with the new wing profile and double spread tow lamination makes a tempting windy weather ship. The weather forecast for 2013 Euro Champs is windy afternoons like in 2008 Turkey WC.
Tuomo is offline Find More Posts by Tuomo
Old Apr 20, 2012, 09:38 AM
Joined Aug 2005
156 Posts
Who designed the Xplorer II and the airfoils?
Tom Gressman is online now Find More Posts by Tom Gressman
Old Apr 20, 2012, 09:59 AM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
I believe a few grams of paint are in order... Nekkid... what's a Chicago Dude doin' usin a perfectly good West Texas word?
Blame it on the PolCor RCGroups software
Old Apr 20, 2012, 10:26 AM
Win=span\massXpractice+lu ck
Joined Jul 2007
2,774 Posts
Tommy thats on of my main reasons for choosing the X - so many creative options - while the new wing will have different airfoils the fuses will be compatable I am told.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Wee View Post
Webbsolution, you do remember this at the World Champs!:

d) The competitor may use three model aircraft in the contest.
e) The competitor may combine the parts of the model aircraft during the contest, provided the resulting model aircraft conforms to the rules and the parts have been checked before the start of the contest.

Back to the Xplorer II!

I hope to get one this summer. 3.8 v-tail, normal ST is on order.
I really like my x-tail ST 3.8 but I do like the idea of a little lighter 3.8 that I can load with a bit of ballast if needed.

Tommy
webbsolution is online now Find More Posts by webbsolution
Old Apr 21, 2012, 04:51 AM
Jyvaskyla, Finland
Joined Aug 2003
2,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by webbsolution View Post
Tommy thats on of my main reasons for choosing the X - so many creative options - while the new wing will have different airfoils the fuses will be compatable I am told.
Yes, that is important the excisting Xplorer owner - many of them.

What I am really interrested in is the way Xplorer2 penetrates. Based on what I have heard from those who already fly Xp2, the difference is not radical. But if it places the Xp2 half way between Xp1 and Aspire, it is an important improvement in acive air with strong sinking areas and in strong winds.
Tuomo is offline Find More Posts by Tuomo