HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 19, 2012, 09:52 AM
United States, NJ, Jackson
Joined Nov 2011
329 Posts
Discussion
Bixler vs. AXN Floater

I have found many references to both planes in the forum. Many, many people have reccommended the Bixler. I have not been able to find many direct comparisons of the two planes, even though they are very similiar. I am considering getting one of them. What are the pro's and con's of each plane. I will be getting the ARF or Plug-n-fly version of them. I will be using a DX6i with an Orange Rx. I am new to R/C and have very little flight time.
Scooch is offline Find More Posts by Scooch
Last edited by Scooch; Apr 19, 2012 at 10:40 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 20, 2012, 01:49 AM
Flying from Vic Park
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined May 2011
2,311 Posts
The Bixler is slightly bigger 1400m wingspan where as the Floater is 1290mm that is about it. I have neither of these so I comment about specifics but I have just got a Hawksky which is basically the same as the AXN Floater and it flies very nicely. If someone is going to buddy box you any would a good first plane. If you are learning by yourself then it comes down to your natural ability, if you are going to be successfully with one of these.

If it is going to be your first plane go the PNP version it makes your life easier.
Great_Goose is online now Find More Posts by Great_Goose
Old Apr 20, 2012, 06:04 AM
United States, NJ, Jackson
Joined Nov 2011
329 Posts
Thank you for the reply.
Scooch is offline Find More Posts by Scooch
Old Apr 20, 2012, 07:18 AM
RC plane addict ;-)
United Kingdom, England, Norwich
Joined Aug 2008
1,705 Posts
I would say both planes are good and no matter which one you go for would be a good plane to start off with,but out of the two i'd have to say i like the AXN better but thats just my opinion and i don't base it on anything other than i just like how slow it can fly and how fast it will go.

There again i would of thought the Bixler would be close to the AXN anyway,so no matter which plane you get out of he two i think you will be good to go.

Why not try going over to Youtube so see what they fly like and see which one YOU like the best out of the two,just type in AXN or Bixler over on YT and you will see loads of video's pop up.

I use to use the DX6i all the time with the orange RX and i've had loads of flights with it and it works really well,i now have more orange RX's than any other RX's,i have now moved up to a DX8 only because i needed more model memory.

Good luck and try and get some practice in on a good flight sim if you haven't already.
startazz is offline Find More Posts by startazz
Old May 02, 2012, 12:44 AM
A Texan abroad
Joined Oct 2011
936 Posts
Here is a good side by side comparison:

Bixler vs AXN (3 min 41 sec)
torque roll is offline Find More Posts by torque roll
Old May 02, 2012, 08:38 AM
Crash Test Engineer
United States, MN, Maple Grove
Joined Nov 2011
104 Posts
I have the Bixler and am very happy with it. Great plane to fly and is stable platform for FPV should you ever venture down that path. Just do some research on the mods for this plane - as they are fairly easy and have made a big difference for us in it's durability...

Don't know much about the AXN, but check out this site for build tips (3 part series). There is also a big thread going on at his accompanying forum site - RC model Reviews.

Here is the first video of the AXN build:

AXN Clouds Fly Floater Jet RC plane build video (part 1 of 3) (20 min 20 sec)
RC Dad is online now Find More Posts by RC Dad
Old May 03, 2012, 07:31 AM
Winter Haven FL
Joined Dec 2003
508 Posts
Blonds or Brunettes is the answer. It all comes down to personal preference
Byrdman is offline Find More Posts by Byrdman
Old May 03, 2012, 09:15 PM
Joined Dec 2011
14 Posts
Torque Roll,
Thanks for that vid post. I've been juggling the two for a bit, but I think I've decided to go Bixler.
Prydespride is offline Find More Posts by Prydespride
Old Aug 20, 2012, 10:19 AM
South Africa, EC, East London
Joined Aug 2012
23 Posts
I have ordered the AXN. Just think it look better.
jughead_dave is offline Find More Posts by jughead_dave
Old Aug 20, 2012, 11:20 AM
Joined Jun 2003
179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooch View Post
I have found many references to both planes in the forum. Many, many people have reccommended the Bixler. I have not been able to find many direct comparisons of the two planes, even though they are very similiar. I am considering getting one of them. What are the pro's and con's of each plane. I will be getting the ARF or Plug-n-fly version of them. I will be using a DX6i with an Orange Rx. I am new to R/C and have very little flight time.
Get them both. You won't regret it.
asennad is offline Find More Posts by asennad
Old Aug 20, 2012, 07:59 PM
Chris ďFly BabyĒ Greenshields
United States, CA, Huntington Beach
Joined Aug 2012
28 Posts
I havent flown either of these planes but I do really like the Hobby People Superfly X. Similar to both of these planes. It is in between the sizes of the bixler and floater, but the kit version has a little bigger motor in it than the bixler. More power means easier to get out of trouble. I think if you are interested in a powered glider of this nature, you should consider the Superfly X. It is a blast to fly.

http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php...-ailerons.html
GoBeach75 is offline Find More Posts by GoBeach75
Old Mar 13, 2013, 01:40 PM
Joined Jan 2012
36 Posts
I have both, and strongly prefer the Bixler. Maybe it's just my AXN, but it's slower in response, and a little squirrelier. That said, the AXN goes much faster on the same 2200mah battery, but it also is quite nose heavy with the same battery, while the Bix cries out for more weight in the front (and has room for it, unlike the AXN). I had tons of trouble with the Bix at first, because the aileron servos kept shorting out the receiver/ESC. This took a really long time to diagnose. Ultimately I replaced them with HK 900s, for less than $3 each, and it's been fine since then.
Pretzelcuatl is offline Find More Posts by Pretzelcuatl
Old Jul 08, 2013, 08:28 AM
Brewer, Maine
Joined Aug 2010
139 Posts
Question??
Is the Bixler & ANX Floater in the flight sim Pheonix?? or is it an addon planes??
I have a DX6i with orange rx to install into which ever plane I choose to get...
deuce66 is offline Find More Posts by deuce66
Old Jul 08, 2013, 08:44 AM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
4,069 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce66 View Post
Question??
Is the Bixler & ANX Floater in the flight sim Pheonix?? or is it an addon planes??
I have a DX6i with orange rx to install into which ever plane I choose to get...
What difference does it make? There is no connection between the "Bixler" or "AXN Floater" in the sim and the real thing anyway. Any resemblance is strictly coincidental. Don't rely on a sim to tell you how a plane flies, EVER!

Those electronic pieces of primitive folk art are good only for general flying principles, not specifics on any given airframe. Don't mistake a Van Gogh for a high resolution photograph.
Rockin Robbins is online now Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old Jul 08, 2013, 09:09 AM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,789 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
What difference does it make? There is no connection between the "Bixler" or "AXN Floater" in the sim and the real thing anyway. Any resemblance is strictly coincidental. Don't rely on a sim to tell you how a plane flies, EVER!

Those electronic pieces of primitive folk art are good only for general flying principles, not specifics on any given airframe. Don't mistake a Van Gogh for a high resolution photograph.
Yep, but, OH BOY, ya done it now!!!!
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69