SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 19, 2012, 09:18 AM
in the beginning...
United States, MO, De Soto
Joined Mar 2012
475 Posts
Question
Question about 4ch UM's vs others

So after looking around and shopping for a 4ch plane, it seems like everything i've read pointed to a UM T-28. I found these planes that are cheaper then that or the same price and bigger RTF's, so why wouldnt i go with one of these vs the UM T-28? are they harder to fly? need more room? wont take as much damage? or all of the above?
thx
bm2

http://www.nitroplanes.com/dyfoep4004ch.html

http://www.nitroplanes.com/60a-dy892...0-rtf-24g.html
bm2thirsty is offline Find More Posts by bm2thirsty
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 19, 2012, 12:33 PM
Foam flogger
Roseville, CA
Joined Apr 2009
1,145 Posts
Caveat emptor
Belem is offline Find More Posts by Belem
Old Apr 19, 2012, 12:49 PM
Joined Apr 2012
14 Posts
I'm a complete noob and not familiar with those planes, but I think I would be wary of a first four channel plane that describes itself as 3D and/or aerobatic.
Brewshooter is offline Find More Posts by Brewshooter
Old Apr 19, 2012, 12:57 PM
in the beginning...
Joined Mar 2012
475 Posts
ya i'm not sure either, but it doesnt hurt to ask. there are a million of these things out there. Doesnt matter to me either way i just want to know if its worth looking into or not.
bm2
Old Apr 19, 2012, 01:08 PM
Joined Apr 2012
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bm2thirsty View Post
ya i'm not sure either, but it doesnt hurt to ask.
Absolutely not!
Brewshooter is offline Find More Posts by Brewshooter
Old Apr 19, 2012, 01:36 PM
United States, OR, Canby
Joined Aug 2011
2,304 Posts
All of the above, plus replacements parts will likely be difficult to get and probably of poor quality to start with. I have the UM T-28, great little plane.
600Bob is online now Find More Posts by 600Bob
Old Apr 19, 2012, 03:50 PM
in the beginning...
Joined Mar 2012
475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 600Bob View Post
All of the above, plus replacements parts will likely be difficult to get
Parts? pfft, i've had like 3 weeks with the Champ and not a scratch, not gonna need parts for my planes.........

lol, 10 bucks i just jinxed the crap outta myself, i'm not flying today

but ya thats one thing i wouldnt have thought of being new, thx
bm2
Old Apr 20, 2012, 02:24 AM
United States, CA, Oakland
Joined Dec 2002
2,333 Posts
Hey now,
The jump between tgree channel and four channel planes is bigger than you may think first off. Secondly the tinysize of the champ or cub vs a larger model means arrivals that don't hurt a tiny plane can seriously mess up a larger plane. The old mass times velocity thing, you know?
Also while nitroplanes may seem to be the deal you need to consider a few things.
First; these models often need set up adjustments most beginners don't know enough to manage. And often these nitroplanes ARFs need some assembly that takes some experience (and their instructions are a tad sketchy). Then there's the reason why they're so cheap, er, inexpensive. They buy the cheapest gear they can get so there's often a lot of bugs and not so much customer service. Where as the micros you meantioned are not only durable because of their size but they tend to fly well out of the box, their gear is well made with great quality control and they have fantastic customer service.
Every reason to get the little T-28 and avoid nitroplanes at least at this state.
RobII
elfwreck is offline Find More Posts by elfwreck
Old Apr 20, 2012, 02:56 AM
Low'n Slow is safest, right?
Norge, Østfold, Fredrikstad
Joined Jun 2011
553 Posts
I have quite few UM planes (incl. the t-28) AND the Dynam Extra from your link, so I can share some experiences with you.

The Extra:
Battery is placed under the wing, and you need to bring a screwdriver to change the battery.
Servo links are with a Z-bend in each end (no clevis) so it is hard to mechanically trim the plane and the linkage gets quite sloppy - as a result the plane wags its tail like a happy dog in high speed passes.
Be careful with the travel, will snap hard out of loops etc. if you get too much angle on the elevator. Insane roll rate and I'll say that a radio with programmable dual rate/expo is required with this plane.
Very thin and fragile cowl, tends to crack from a bad/hard landing.
Acceptable top speed, but by no means a 3D plane, and it can (with my skills at least) barely maintain a Knife Edge at anything else but almost full speed. Wing rocks like crazy if you go for a harrier/high alfa flight...

UM T-28:
Despite it fragile looks, it can actually handle a fair deal of abuse.
It rolls to slow for me, even with the aileron travel maximized by moving the control rods inside the plane.
Excellent slow handling capabilities with no unpredictable or nasty stalls. Decent speed, but by no means a racer.
Bacically what I learned 4ch flight on, so I rate this as a good first 4ch plane (if you start out in low winds). When your skills improve, you can fly it in quite a bit of wind and still have load of fun...

When my flying buddy wanted to go for a 4ch UM, i recommended the UM Mustang for him (he tried myT-28 a few times, and handeled that quite good). The Mustang is faster, more agile and is still not that much harder to fly - especially when you turn down the rates and add some expo - but it is very much more fun to fly IMHO...

Greetings from Norway,
Kai W-E
KaiWE is offline Find More Posts by KaiWE
Old Apr 20, 2012, 08:19 AM
in the beginning...
Joined Mar 2012
475 Posts
Thanks for all that Kai, I guess the reason i'm still looking around also is because i sometimes see the T-28 as a painted up Champ, size, weight, etc.. but with ailerons. I'm gonna feel a whole new plane with that thing right? Or should i start off my 4ch carrier with a mustang (which i like way better, looks wise)
Old Apr 21, 2012, 01:12 PM
Low'n Slow is safest, right?
Norge, Østfold, Fredrikstad
Joined Jun 2011
553 Posts
A plane worth looking at is this one:
http://www.nitroplanes.com/at-21492-pc-9-arf.html

This is one of the gentlest sweetest flying planes I have laid my hand on.
(I have the blue RAF version from Hobbyking). Practical size, and can be flown incredible slow but still carries a decent top speed. The tricycle gear makes ground handling easy, and at least in my opinion, it looks very cool in the air.

If the spares situation had been better, I would have considered this a perfect alternative to the PZ T-28 (the option is of course not to crash )
KaiWE is offline Find More Posts by KaiWE