SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 19, 2012, 08:51 AM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,061 Posts
Discussion
Glue Advice for EPO Foam

Had occasion to do surgery on an EPO foam model and the glue used is very stretchy stuff that I haven't seen before. I'd like to put it back together with the same stuff, which seems very strong.

Anyone know what it is?

My worries are dissolving an unfamiliar foam with the wrong glue and the possibility of glue that doesn't stick to the foam.

I had to cut the motor mount out to get to the ESC and I'd really like it if the motor doesn't fall out after being reglued! It would be equally important not to have the nose of the plane melt or distort when I glue the motor back in.

Why the radical surgery? It was the only way to get at the ESC which has a broken wire due mostly to solder wicking up into the wire and making it inflexible.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 19, 2012, 01:48 PM
United States, CA, Ukiah
Joined Dec 2011
793 Posts
UHU Por is the goods Pete, you shouldnt have any trouble with sources for it either.

Mendo
Mendo is offline Find More Posts by Mendo
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 19, 2012, 01:57 PM
fly low, fly fast, fly 3d
United Kingdom, England, Luton
Joined Dec 2011
564 Posts
yes uhupor is excellent but with epo i have found out medium ca is good dosent disolve epo just check it first on a place that dosent matter
nathan100 is offline Find More Posts by nathan100
Old Apr 19, 2012, 04:04 PM
Joined Apr 2004
7,061 Posts
Will try both. (one at a time, por first)

I think I have some por around someplace. I've got thin CA and some foam safe that I don't quite trust.

Got to resolver some wires then glue things back together.

Thanks guys.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 04:11 PM
United States, CA, Ukiah
Joined Dec 2011
793 Posts
Pete, for foam safe CA's Bob Smith Industries Super Gold line of CA's is what I use, I have yet to find any type of foam that it either doesnt bond well with or that damages it in any way. Between BSi CA's and UHU por you should be 100% golden.

Mendo
Mendo is offline Find More Posts by Mendo
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 19, 2012, 08:15 PM
Joined Apr 2004
7,061 Posts
Thanks again,

Just looked at my oddball collection of glues and no por. What I have is several varieties of fabric glue that I bought for some reason or another. These might actually work, but I'm not going to try them. Will go looking for por tomorrow.

I think I'll start my search at Pearl Paint. They've got the biggest selection of craft stuff in NYC. Michael's if that fails. No brick and mortar hobby shops nearby that I know of aside from a two hour ride to Bruckner up in the Bronx, or someplace on Staten Island involving subway, ferry, subway. If I go there I can think of two or three other mandatory stops.

All this for a broken wire on an unreachable ESC.

Pete
Old Apr 20, 2012, 09:34 AM
Joined Oct 2006
24 Posts
Quick setting WHITE Gorilla glue is awesome on EPO
BashemSmashem is offline Find More Posts by BashemSmashem
Old Apr 20, 2012, 10:28 AM
Tabriz, Iran
Joined Sep 2008
2,715 Posts
UHU all purpose adhesive. Great glue. And dissolves nothing.

SS
starscream4002 is offline Find More Posts by starscream4002
Old Apr 20, 2012, 08:40 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
United States, GA, Buford
Joined Nov 2007
6,525 Posts
Beacon Foam Tac
- stronger than epoxy on EPO
boredom.is.me is offline Find More Posts by boredom.is.me
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RFD900 Case
Old Apr 20, 2012, 09:30 PM
Joined Apr 2004
7,061 Posts
Spent about three hours going to Pearl Paint and Michael's and not finding anything.

No Uhu. I'm sure that some of what I saw might have worked, but who wants to buy fifty bucks worth of various odd craft glues and experiment.

Thanks BIM, Beacon sounds familiar, maybe I saw it today.

I think I have something that will work if I can find it. I forgot the name but it's a foam safe CA from Horizon that comes packaged with the kicker, dries slow and remains pliable. I have an unopened package someplace and if it hasn't gone off in the bottle I'll give it a try.

Pete
Last edited by PeteSchug; Apr 21, 2012 at 07:49 AM.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 07:54 AM
Joined Apr 2004
7,061 Posts
I found a bottle (half set up, so very thick) of E Flite foam safe CA. By experience I know this stuff dries flexible and somewhat elastic and also sets very slowly so I gave it a shot. The motor is back in place and I not only glued it in, but ran a bead around the outside of the joint for good measure.

Will stick the cowling on this afternoon and hope I never have to open it again!

Thanks for all the advice. I didn't get to use it since I couldn't find any of the glues!!!

Pete
Old Apr 22, 2012, 04:58 AM
Good Times!
Joined Feb 2011
249 Posts
what you describe in the first post sounds like canopy glue.
it is the business on epo. strong & flexible
i use the formula 560 from here
http://www.easybuiltmodels.com/hotstuff.htm
it goes a long way for the price as well
Micro Budget is offline Find More Posts by Micro Budget
Old Apr 22, 2012, 05:18 AM
Joined Apr 2004
7,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micro Budget View Post
what you describe in the first post sounds like canopy glue.
it is the business on epo. strong & flexible
i use the formula 560 from here
http://www.easybuiltmodels.com/hotstuff.htm
it goes a long way for the price as well
Thanks.

The job is done, possibly with the wrong glue, but things seem to be holding together. I've used E Flite foam safe on styro many times but EPO seems to have a lot of polypropylene in it and nothing really sticks to polypropylene so I was reluctant to try. That coupled with the extreme tenacity and stretch of the glue they used convinced me that it was something unusual

The E Flite stuff is similar but not nearly as strong or stretchy but I think it is good enough. Time will tell and if I can peel it I get a second shot.

Pete
Old Apr 29, 2012, 04:29 AM
CSI
I promise, just ONE more order
Del Rio Intl, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,995 Posts
One more entry for anyone looking for an awsome glue for foam..........WELDERS. In comes in a red tube and is available at most stores...hardware, wal mart, etc.
It is just like described in the first post...stretchy, holds like no tomorrow, and sets up quickly. It also dries clear. It is good stuff!
Ken
CSI is offline Find More Posts by CSI
RCG Plus Member
Old May 02, 2012, 01:37 PM
Joined Nov 2011
13 Posts
Foam Glue Fixes

All good info. that I know I will have to use after some flight or so. I have been using the White Gorilla Glue. Package states that it will foam up a % less than the regular Gorilla Glue. My trick to minimize the foam stalagmites is to remove the excess foam as it is drying with a moist, not wet, Q-tip, always leaving enough glue to secure good adhesion. Finish comes out a little cleaner. After a few repairs it has worked well for me.
vatlas50 is offline Find More Posts by vatlas50