HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 19, 2012, 05:17 AM
Bagpipes spoken here
United States, MN, St Paul
Joined Aug 2007
109 Posts
Discussion
Doolittle Raid - 70 Years Later

Surprised no one mentioned it yesterday but that was the 70th anniversary of the famed Doolittle raid in 1942. Only 4 months after Pearl Harbor and a string of setbacks in the Pacific, sixteen volunteer crews flew their Mitchell B-25s off the pitching deck of the USS Hornet and demonstrated to the Japanese their homeland was not immune from attack.

Althought little damage of substance was delivered, the raid caused the Imperial Japanese Command to divert assets for homeland defense and delivered a badly needed bit of good news to the American public.

Photo below of a diorama at the US Air Force Museum at Dayton, OH recreating the scene on the deck of the Hornet.

Five original members of the raid still survive today and deserve a heartfelt thanks from a grateful nation.

Pipemajor is offline Find More Posts by Pipemajor
Old Apr 19, 2012, 07:16 AM
Akron/Canton, Ohio, United States
Joined Apr 2004
79 Posts
They are holding a three day event in Dayton this week.

Surviving 'Doolittle Raiders' recount wartime bombing of Japan

Yesterday 22 B-25's took part in a flyover at the Airforce Museum. I was there in 2010 for the flyover and it was inspiring.

22 B-25 Mitchell bombers plan to take part in tribute to Doolittle Tokyo Raiders

Doolittle Reunion 2012 fly-over (1 min 43 sec)

70th Doolittle Raider Reunion Lineup - WarbirdRadio.com (0 min 58 sec)
Jon Shaw is offline Find More Posts by Jon Shaw
Old Apr 19, 2012, 07:33 AM
did a reversed Immelman..once.
Novi, Michigan
Joined Nov 2002
2,248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipemajor View Post
Five original members of the raid still survive today and deserve a heartfelt thanks from a grateful nation.

Good post....these men have all my respect & prayers for their courage in our nations' time of need.
SKYPILEIT is offline Find More Posts by SKYPILEIT
Old Apr 19, 2012, 08:43 AM
It's 5 O'clock Somewhere
Dayton, OH
Joined Feb 2006
417 Posts
It sucks I was busy the last couple of days. I really wanted to go see the planes. It is pretty cool to see a bunch of WWII planes flying around. My wife called me to let me know she was watching bombers flying around yesterday at her work.
RumRunner_1492 is online now Find More Posts by RumRunner_1492
Old Apr 21, 2012, 12:48 PM
did a reversed Immelman..once.
Novi, Michigan
Joined Nov 2002
2,248 Posts
"We Remember"

If anyone is interested..an interesting series of military aircraft with Dolittles' Raider segments.

We Remember (6 min 21 sec)
SKYPILEIT is offline Find More Posts by SKYPILEIT
Old Apr 21, 2012, 07:08 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,157 Posts
I don't recall ever seeing anything on the Japanese mental response to the the Doolittle Raid. I think there was mention of them pulling defenses back to the homeland. But, did it change their vision of, or understanding of, Americans? Did they ask the question, "What sort of people would do such at thing?" I also wonder what the Germans thought about it.
Jim Thomerson is online now Find More Posts by Jim Thomerson
Old Apr 21, 2012, 08:09 PM
Don't look at me like that....
United States, AR, McDougal
Joined Aug 2005
2,791 Posts
Two 25's stopped at Walnutridge ,Ar airport for refueling. 45 min drive south of me. I was in the shop when I heard a rumble and got outside to see them go over. Pretty low, easy to see.
62pilot is offline Find More Posts by 62pilot
Old Apr 22, 2012, 06:57 AM
56S
Certified Balsa Breaker
Joined Nov 2006
1,468 Posts
Thursday early afternoon my father and I heard and then saw one flying east while in his yard in eastern Ohio. We both stopped what we were doing and said thanks to those that have served.
56S is online now Find More Posts by 56S
Old Apr 22, 2012, 07:37 AM
Houston, TX, US
Joined Jun 2000
1,652 Posts
Wow... 22 B-25's. Wish I could have been there. What a sight.
DaveG is offline Find More Posts by DaveG
Old Apr 22, 2012, 08:36 AM
EIEIEIO Classic is dway ta go!
Northeast Pa. .Heyna or No?
Joined Aug 2009
1,872 Posts
Good post ! Thanks !
Can't let events like this just fade away and be forgot.
flyinwalenda is online now Find More Posts by flyinwalenda
Old Apr 22, 2012, 08:45 AM
Joined Jul 2004
3,771 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Wow... 22 B-25's. Wish I could have been there. What a sight.

Wish I'd had known about this earlier, I could've gone and seen it. At the very least I could've posted some videos of it on YouTube that didn't look like they were taken by a 10 year old with Parkinsons.

I saw Panchito twice before, one at the Reading WW-II weekend show, and one at the Pittsburgh Airshow. Reading had THREE B-17 bombers the first year I went, that was pretty cool.

The whold dang movie is on YouTube.....

Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo Part 1 (10 min 1 sec)
Usta Bee is offline Find More Posts by Usta Bee
Last edited by Usta Bee; Apr 22, 2012 at 08:53 AM.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 10:23 AM
Bagpipes spoken here
United States, MN, St Paul
Joined Aug 2007
109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usta Bee View Post
Reading had THREE B-17 bombers the first year I went, that was pretty cool.
I was still living in WA state when Boeing had a 50th anniversary event for the B-17. They had four of them come in (there are only 10 left in flyable condition after the loss of Liberty Bell last summer).

I'll never forget seeing/hearing 12 Wright R-1820s firing up and rumbling as they taxied out and took off.

Interstate 5 overlooks Boeing Field from a bluff and the Washington State Patrol warned motorists it was illegal to stop on the shoulder of the freeway except for emergency. I guess several hundred people decided to have emergencies that day as they pulled over to watch a unique event.

Our CL club lost a member a few years ago who assembled the control yoke on the B-17 during WWII.
Pipemajor is offline Find More Posts by Pipemajor
Old Apr 22, 2012, 05:54 PM
Akron/Canton, Ohio, United States
Joined Apr 2004
79 Posts
I got the opportunity to actually pilot one of the B-25s participating this week. It was 23 years ago and the plane was The Guardian Of Freedom. At the time it was owned by a retired Air force Colonel, Glenn Lamont. He was based in Detroit but he had friends in Akron and during one his visits to Akron Fulton Airport, I managed to get a chance to fly. When I showed up at the airport little did I know that I would be the co-pilot for that flight. It was a memory of a lifetime to be able to have my hands on the controls of that beautiful twin engine bomber.
Jon Shaw is offline Find More Posts by Jon Shaw
Old Apr 22, 2012, 09:45 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,157 Posts
In 1963, I rode in a B-25, converted to transport tropical fish, From Miami to Peru and back.
Jim Thomerson is online now Find More Posts by Jim Thomerson