HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:36 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2012
844 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PulsarLSA View Post
The V911 brick worked great. Lots of fun to be had with that one on the cheap!
I couldnt agree more, I think you have the ideal setup there with a low geared 8.5mm motor. My first models were covered in hot glue, carbon rods & packing tape, they were pretty indestructible but heavy. I had a parkzone p-51 prop which is larger than the champ's but it was pretty slow due to the weight of the plane, I started using gws 5030 & 5045 props & the power was much better (56g of thrust iirc) so if you want shorter flight times & more power I highly recommend giving it a go, I was also using the 160mah turnigy lipos.

I ran the same setup on a dodgy lightweight raptorwing thing i made out of 3mm epp & it was the fastest I have ever seen that brick move!
limmacslim is online now Find More Posts by limmacslim
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My first little Multiwii quad
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2013, 03:22 PM
We can rebuild it!
United Kingdom, Wales, Swansea
Joined Apr 2010
3,488 Posts
I don't have much in the way of geared units at the moment, when I will do a build I pretty much have to work with what I have....

I'll try a 10" nutball with a larger (I think it's n20) 3.7V motor from a Syma S032, (I have a few of them in my boneyard) direct drive on a nine eagles "SkyEagle" prop, I have a few spare and the 2S SkyEagle motor apart from the voltage is the same as the S032, prob buy in a V911 board for it though.

Does this seam as though it may work?
djdavies83 is offline Find More Posts by djdavies83
Old Feb 13, 2013, 05:00 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2012
844 Posts
I have always been a little weary of using anything larger than an 8.5mm motor with the v911 board as it may push the FET over the limit, I just did a search on "A2sHB" & came up with a number of transistors using those markings all ranging from 2.0a-3.0a, I think this one may fit the bill closest with a maximum rating of 2.1a
http://www.sls-semicon.com/admin/E/a...2906_45521.pdf

I am not sure what current those n20 motors draw, I have successfully transplanted a fet from one v911 board to the other before so if you are feeling brave you could pull the fet chip off your syma board & solder it onto the v911 board if it fits in there You will need to look at the data sheets to make sure they are the same type with the same pinout. You could more than likely find a non surface mount version with a higher current limit & bodge it on there.

On the s032 pcb, see if you can find any markings on the larger 3 pin chip near the motor output, it may even be a fet with the same current limit in which case you would be fine although I have a feeling it will draw more than 2a under load.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2013, 06:31 PM
We can rebuild it!
Joined Apr 2010
3,488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by limmacslim View Post
On the s032 pcb, see if you can find any markings on the larger 3 pin chip near the motor output, it may even be a fet with the same current limit in which case you would be fine although I have a feeling it will draw more than 2a under load.
Thanks for the input there limmacslim,
Ah forgot to mention that potential route, I have spare/dead S032 boards too so I was thinking of taking a FET off a S032Rx and tapping the base/gate of the V911 FET, I've successfully hijacked a pair of FETS on the S022 chinook and controlled them with a S107R5 Rx
S022 FETs hijacked by S107 pcb (0 min 40 sec)

So this is an option.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:45 AM
Weltherrschaft will be mine
Germany, SN, Leipzig
Joined Nov 2012
208 Posts
@limmaslim what gear ratio do you use for the gws 5043 and 5030? could you count the teeth... I cannot get more then 45 gramms thrust ( 3,5:1 5040 kavan slowfly prop) what you tell about hot glue cf rods and tape sounds pretty like my planes...... Do you build your gearboxes or use some else( v949, NE yak54, v911 frame, other heli frame)
borkencorter is offline Find More Posts by borkencorter
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:20 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2012
844 Posts
Borkencorter, I was using a solo pro 125a motor which I was hoping is the same as the famous bravo sx motor, the v911 motor is pretty strong too. I use a parkzone p-51 gearbox which I counted 37 teeth with a 9 tooth pinion so a 4.1 ratio. The GWS props I use are actually "GWS style" copies which I buy very cheaply here http://www.giantshark.co.uk/style-props-c-77_127.html
They are much stiffer (& more crash resistant) than GWS props, iirc It was a 5045 I used to make that thrust figure which is a large slow-fly shape.

Djdavies, I see you have been at it already The s032 mosfet should be a similar affair, I have RS components up the road from me so have been looking through their site for a suitable replacement, its a minefield but I think im getting somewhere, I will go up & grab something from them when I have some time & will keep you posted if I have any luck getting it going.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:49 AM
Joined Feb 2013
4 Posts
http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-Wl...s-p-38688.html

Here is the board for 12 bucks. How do you beat that? Now if somebody would figure out how to make three servos work that people of normal intellect could work with......
PulsarLSA is offline Find More Posts by PulsarLSA
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:00 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
5,619 Posts
one simple solution is to use a pwm converter. motor pwm in, servo pwm out. either a "thesteve" or a "thedave" adapter will do it.
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
Old Feb 14, 2013, 09:43 PM
Joined Feb 2007
3,657 Posts
I WOULD like to build a bullseye delta RET plane out of something like this. Thanks for inspiration.
tymbrewolf is offline Find More Posts by tymbrewolf
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:09 AM
Germany, SN, Leipzig
Joined Nov 2012
208 Posts
who or what is the dave and where do I get it?
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:41 AM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
5,619 Posts
its a chip i designed to convert pwm motor signals to servo signal. its like TheSteve converter but has 4 channels in one chip so would cost a lot less. i sent out a few dozen but only know of two people who built something with it (quadcopers). one was a local guy and the other an rcg memeber but he didnt post. i also wired one up but its too fast for indoors and too cold and 2' smow outside. but soon... there are no more on hand right now but i can get more if theres interest. let me know in the thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...9#post22927100

the chip only weighs 15 milligram so a lot lighter than thesteve one. and more channels too:

here it is wired up for brushless motor and/or servos:

Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:39 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2012
844 Posts
Excellent stuff, do you flash that amtel chip with the same usb hardware as you would with the amtel chip in the 9x? Is rigging up a socket for the programmer to a DIP socket all that would otherwise be needed?

I have been meaning to look around for a programmer to try some different firmware on my 9x & this looks a great project, would be awesome if I could use that hardware to try your code out with.
It looks ideal for sticking a little brushless motor on one of these v911 bricks or as you said a mini brushless quad. Its certainly light enough
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:04 PM
Germany, SN, Leipzig
Joined Nov 2012
208 Posts
Most of what you guys talk is too high for my rudimentary electronical abilities....
but I would be interested in thedave! And could the 911rx then not be used like Ar6400? I mean use 2s or 3s lipo and power the brick over the BEC? wold it??? That and a 9x, the possibilty to eliminate the gyro.... 911 brick has not been fully exploited yet...
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:22 AM
We can rebuild it!
Joined Apr 2010
3,488 Posts
If the gyro is disabled and a AveConverter used on the tail motor output the rudder would start fully in one direction then move to the other side in direct proportion to the amount of throttle.

I think a V911rx and DaveConveter could be used on a 2/3S plane, not sure if the V911Rx would be happy on the 5V output of the ESC's BEC, it might be ok but then you may need a 0.7V Zenier Diode in series between BEC and V911Rx to drop the Voltage down to 4.3V V911 Rx should be perfectly happy with that.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 08:03 AM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
5,619 Posts
theres no such thing as .7v zener but a cheapo 7805 regulator would allow v911 to work off 2s/3s. actually nearly all esc have one built in too (bec). i can say from experience the v911 boards are ok with 5v but not much more.

im excited by the trick to remove piezo to get another channel working. my mistake was removing the whole gyro. thanks for posting that tip and link limmacslim.