HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 23, 2012, 10:55 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2012
1,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by borkencorter View Post
-these planes need a lot of "sturz", in english, the prop axis should point 5- 15 degrees down, otherwise the plane climbs into stalling and isn t very fast...
I would second that, I have always needed some downthrust with this motor/gearbox setup. Even with models like edge 540 & f22 shockies that have the thrust line, roll axis & cog aligned I have had to use a small amount.
The cub needed more downthrust & originally had terrible problems keeping its nose down, even when it was flying well it was easy to pull into a hover.
limmacslim is offline Find More Posts by limmacslim
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2013, 07:44 AM
Weltherrschaft will be mine
Germany, SN, Leipzig
Joined Nov 2012
292 Posts
Does anybody know how to run a brushless setup on such a brick , preferebly on v911 brick. would the same method used for the AR6400 work ? I mean supplying the brick over the BEC ? Would I still need an pwm modulator btw "the steve"?
Would be great if someone of the smart could solve this problem...

I wonder why this thread is so thin, is nobody building heli brick planes?
For my part I can t wait to get a 9x because it will offer the possibility to build elevon btw v-tail planes....
borkencorter is offline Find More Posts by borkencorter
Old Jan 20, 2013, 08:49 AM
United Kingdom, England, Redcar
Joined Jan 2006
3,277 Posts
Do we have any links to cheap micro gear sets ?

I too am using a v911 heli brick as i want to use the stock brushed motor in a small geared setup , i am about 3/4 finished with my project , really i also need a source for light weight pushrods in a sleeve too if anybody has one.
scousethief is offline Find More Posts by scousethief
Old Jan 20, 2013, 06:27 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,583 Posts
I ended up buying the 9eagles set-up from HobbyKing for about $6.00
It has the same V911 motor, already in a gearbox with the right gears.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=19278
Butch777 is offline Find More Posts by Butch777
Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:07 AM
Brazil, PR, União da Vitória
Joined Jun 2011
82 Posts
i thinking can make with v911 brick a paraglider the servo is strong comparated to linear servo
gungriffonbr is offline Find More Posts by gungriffonbr
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:46 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2012
1,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by borkencorter View Post
Does anybody know how to run a brushless setup on such a brick , preferebly on v911 brick. would the same method used for the AR6400 work ? I mean supplying the brick over the BEC ? Would I still need an pwm modulator btw "the steve"?
The rx side of the v911 board looks quite similar to the insides of the 8 channel flysky rx (FS-R8B). They have a very similar chip & I looked into the possibility of tapping the outputs & using it like a normal flysky rx.

After noticing the similarities I followed the circuit in the hope it was outputting a 1-2ms servo signal & being converted onboard to pwm. It seems the throttle channel goes straight to the switching fets so the chip/rx is programmed to output PWM (0-100% duty cycle) so its not possible hooking up a brushless esc directly.
You would have to use a steve converter which I believe you solder directly to the pwm side of the mosfet.

I actually find the flysky/v911 protocol quite poor & have had terrible problems with interference at certain locations around here. I switched over to a frsky module in my 9x & have never looked back.
I use the VD5M module for my brushless micro stuff these days & can highly recommend it. The models do come out a little heavier/larger but there are many benefits. I mainly use the v911 board for ultra-light 20-40g brushed indoor/carpark fliers.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 02:44 PM
Joined Jan 2006
3,277 Posts
That is where i am heading with mine, short area car park, small field flying using a v911 board and 9x transmitter for control , cut down v929 housing with the included shaft bearings motor and prop for power and those rubber band powered planes from hobbyking which if successful will move to moulded glider bodies like the fox and air rider gliders
Old Jan 23, 2013, 03:12 PM
Joined Oct 2006
31 Posts
So a 35MHz Hitec Optic 6 with a flysky module would bind to a v911 reciever?
ShaKaan is offline Find More Posts by ShaKaan
Old Jan 23, 2013, 03:40 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2012
1,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaKaan View Post
So a 35MHz Hitec Optic 6 with a flysky module would bind to a v911 reciever?
Im not 100% sure about that specific model tx but the flysky modules appear quite standardized & interchangable, If the channel order is the same (1=AIL, 2=ELE, 3=THR, 4=RUD) & the radio outputs PPM I imagine you would have a good chance getting it working.

I just looked up the Hitec Optic 6 & see it is module based, the Frsky DFT module i linked to apparently works in your radio so I think the flysky module should work fine too http://www.giantshark.co.uk/24ghz-co...-p-405723.html

I think the only problem you would have is the flysky modules are JR compatible so a different shape, you would have to mount the modules innards inside your radio or mount them inside on old module case.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:50 AM
Simple, Easy, Fun
United States, NY, New York
Joined Jan 2013
751 Posts
Blade Tandem Brick - anybody used it?

So I have a few of these i was going to use for an entirely different project, which, however, I lost interest in.

If you're not familiar w/ the Tandem (now discontinued), it's basically 2 mCX helis attached to each other. It has 4 motors, 2 frames and 1 board which has only 1 servo on it.

The heli controls are:
Pitch - by differential F / R motor rpm (no servo)
Roll - 1 linear servo
Yaw - by rpm (like any coax heli - no servo)
Throttle - rpm

I am thinking of of making a few fixed-wing twin-motor indoor flyers controlled as follows:

Motors - use both of the frames with 1 motor each driving the "outer" shaft
Throttle - rpm for the 2 motors
Pitch - use the servo and mix it from rudder to elev
Rudder - differential L/R thrust
Ailerons - not available

QQ:
Has anybody tried this before. If so, how did it work out? Are there any posts / threads about it?

Can you think of any reason the setup described above wouldn't work?

Any other thoughts, suggestions, questions, etc, etc are welcome.

Thanks,
Gabe
Gabe_BigApple is offline Find More Posts by Gabe_BigApple
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Single-stick Tx design thread
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:15 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scousethief View Post
That is where i am heading with mine, short area car park, small field flying using a v911 board and 9x transmitter for control , cut down v929 housing with the included shaft bearings motor and prop for power and those rubber band powered planes from hobbyking which if successful will move to moulded glider bodies like the fox and air rider gliders
Great! I just tripped over this thread.
I have a couple of v911's but No AR compatible Tx :-)
As I have a half dozen Airplane Tx's of various vintages, all working perfectly, I'm not keen to buy.. yet another.
Interesting on that 'plane' mod.
Hope it works. I say that as I have one ..Stock..and Mine is incapable of flight, despite best efforts.
IF you can make the excreable thing fly, then My hats off to you.
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:18 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,174 Posts
Reading that a BL conversion is Iffy (dunno what a Steve mod is) Would it be possible to use a twin motor configuration inline as in a scale(ish) Do335? using the tail rotor motor output for rear motor unit.. assuming the gyro could be turned off?
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Last edited by Bare; Jan 29, 2013 at 12:33 PM.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:31 PM
Joined Jan 2006
3,277 Posts
I would "suppose" that if you could bypass the onboard gyro then you could "maybe" solder to the tail motor points and use the incoming gyro signal as the signal for the extra servo.

Lots of maybes , ifs and possibles lol. I have a few more bits of electronics still to arrive, didnt want to pay too much for this project so they'll still be on the slow boat from China , in the mean time ive bought another 2 of those rubber band powered planes to look over ( 2 of the mid wing ones this time as it will be a lot easier to set up aileron and elevator controls due to the wings location) and a Durafly micro edge 540 ( bought the pieces rather than the RTF , probably cost me more in the long run but such is life)
While i'm at it i am searching for Flysky compatible receivers , both allinone boards and standard receivers in micro size, we know the V911 board is compatible as is the GW 9958 board i believe along with some Turnigy receivers , the other option is swap everything i have and reinstall Spektrum/Orangerx based rx's/boards , although this opens up a few more options were electronics are concerned it will also bump the price up considerably , unless i can find a cheap spectrum module OR transmitter than i can gut for the board.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:43 PM
We can rebuild it!
United Kingdom, Wales, Swffryd
Joined Apr 2010
3,686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe_BigApple View Post
So I have a few of these i was going to use for an entirely different project, which, however, I lost interest in.

If you're not familiar w/ the Tandem (now discontinued), it's basically 2 mCX helis attached to each other. It has 4 motors, 2 frames and 1 board which has only 1 servo on it.

The heli controls are:
Pitch - by differential F / R motor rpm (no servo)
Roll - 1 linear servo
Yaw - by rpm (like any coax heli - no servo)
Throttle - rpm

I am thinking of of making a few fixed-wing twin-motor indoor flyers controlled as follows:

Motors - use both of the frames with 1 motor each driving the "outer" shaft
Throttle - rpm for the 2 motors
Pitch - use the servo and mix it from rudder to elev
Rudder - differential L/R thrust
Ailerons - not available

QQ:
Has anybody tried this before. If so, how did it work out? Are there any posts / threads about it?

Can you think of any reason the setup described above wouldn't work?

Any other thoughts, suggestions, questions, etc, etc are welcome.

Thanks,
Gabe
So is it the MCX board you have or is it a v911 or similar?

If its MCX the yaw and throttle would work fine, I would go with (assuming you can programme your radio).

Throttle ch- powers motor outputs of rear motors.
Yaw ch- left/right motor differential thrust.
Elevator ch- sent to Aile ch by radio and use onboard servo for elevator.
Aile ch- not used.

If you props would have to be counter rotating and tips moving down on the outer edges (nearest the wings) and up in the centre (nearest fuselage) when you turn the torque yaw from the props will bank the whole plane into the turn.

I made a simple 3ch plane with differential thrust using a S107 PCB.
Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359506561.983863.jpg
Views: 209
Size: 156.1 KB
Description:
djdavies83 is online now Find More Posts by djdavies83
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:19 PM
We can rebuild it!
United Kingdom, Wales, Swffryd
Joined Apr 2010
3,686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare View Post
Reading that a BL conversion is Iffy (dunno what a Steve mod is) Would it be possible to use a twin motor configuration inline as in a scale(ish) Do335? using the tail rotor motor output for rear motor unit.. assuming the gyro could be turned off?
Stevemod is a small microchip that reads the PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) motor feed, and converts it into the type of PWM that a servo can understand.

This guy?
Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359506754.909402.jpg
Views: 219
Size: 69.6 KB
Description:
I like the look of that plane and it's kinda on my imaginary "to do list" because it's so unusual.

Here's my take on what I would try, this would involve having a Tx that can reorder what channel each stick controls.

mounting and connections
  • Mount PCB horizontally, servo side up & bottom to front of plane top to rear.
  • Pitch servo to elevator surface & aileron servo to rudder surface.
  • Swap rudder and aileron channels on Tx.
  • Main motor connection to front motor CW rotation & tail motor to rear motor CCW rotation when viewed from the rear.

The above explained
Believe it or not this would still be 4ch, the whacky thing would be that the gyro would still work....

...but for Roll rather than Yaw, as both rotors would be inline the torque from the blades would cancel each other out (exactly the same as a coax heli) and they would be inline with and on the same axis as the gyro, because it's laid flat if the plane banks left the gyro thinks its yawing left because of its axis and would adjust the thrust differential of the motors to compensate.
The yaw channel from the Tx should be programmed to go to aileron ch, not the aileron servo will move the rudder surface.

Damn you now I totally have to build it to see if I'm right,
djdavies83 is online now Find More Posts by djdavies83