HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:50 AM
We can rebuild it!
United Kingdom, Wales, Swffryd
Joined Apr 2010
3,686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1993 View Post
is this 2ch or 3ch? cant quite make out whats happening on that tail. has anybody ever done prop hang with a setup like that?
It's 3ch...
throttle = throttle
differential thrust = yaw
tail blade & motor = elevator

Tail motor explained....
It lifts the tail end of the plane up (down elevator/dive) or pushes it down (up elevator/climb) this affect the angle of the main wing and motors the same way a transitional elevator control surface would, it's more effective that a control surface at low speed, not sure how it fairs at high speed as I've not had the space/skill to rate this method.

I got the idea of using the prop from the way a motor is used for rudder on the micro flying tuck.

Prop hangin this is difficult mainly because the props are not as far ahead of CG as a single prop usually is, the best I've managed so far is about 3 seconds, It's half term so I'm out of college this week,
I'll get better video when I have access to the main sports hall but I'll try get some prop hang footage before then.
djdavies83 is offline Find More Posts by djdavies83
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:18 PM
We can rebuild it!
Joined Apr 2010
3,686 Posts
Hi Owen, The SkeleCub could be a good one for you to try, flies real slow too, one set of birds that are lookin good are the micro airliners from dynamicfoamie these are kits but I'm sure it would be easy enough to try and make your own from a 3 view image of just about any plane on the.

The tail motor is on the rudder channel, even of your gyro was working you would not be able to use it and the gyro would be in the wrong orientation and get constantly confused.
A V911 brick would give you 3 channels...
Throttle channel = Throttle
Elevator channel = Elevator
Aileron Channel = Rudder
Rudder channel = can't currently be used.

The props I used on my oddball conversion are for the Udi quad copter, of te full Cell one pair of them on S107 motors can kick out 30g of thrust, I'm not sure just one prop would be strong enough for a single engine plane. Nine Eagles "Sky Eagle props looks pretty good for the money, I have a Sky Eagle and plan to use spare props for my DIY builds.

For getting the pinion off the V911 motor I would go with heat! A few seconds of heat from a turbo flame lighter on the pinion then gently lever it one for one side, then the other side and keep alternating sides and applying occasional heat between levering actions.
This is a theory which I have not yet tried, but heating the pinion to would make it expand and should loosen its grip on the shaft.

As I say I have not tried this heating theory yet so this would be at your own risk.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:36 PM
umop apisdn - downside up
United States, MI, West Bloomfield Township
Joined Sep 2012
950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdavies83 View Post
Hi Owen, The SkeleCub could be a good one for you to try, flies real slow too,
Thanks for the reply. I like the look of the SkeleCub. I might give that a try, or maybe make something similar with a profile fuselage to start with.

I'm aware I only have three channels and the helicopter rudder channel won't do anything for me. The gyro is borken on both the bricks I have available anyway. That's why those bricks have been retired from helicopter service.

I was just wondering whether to use the aileron servo for aileron or rudder or both with mechanical mixing. I see from the thread that the Skelecub needs to be flown with rudder, but he also mentions the possibility of mixing in some aileron and as I said, I could do that mechanically if it's worth the extra effort.

What about my idea for using the helicopter gearbox to swing a bigger slower prop?

Owen
nagromnewo is online now Find More Posts by nagromnewo
Last edited by nagromnewo; Oct 30, 2012 at 12:43 PM.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 02:00 PM
We can rebuild it!
Joined Apr 2010
3,686 Posts
I once tried to revive a Parkzone ember I got in a job lot by using motor, gears, shaft, prop and flybar assembly from a 2ch heli, there was not enough thrust, I believe the reason for this is it was a tiny motor and the gear ratio was too low (prop moving top slow) for use in a plane.

While the V911motor is much bigger you would have to use a prop about the same size as the V911 main blades.

One setup I'm going to try in a single prop build is S107 (7mm pager) motor with S107 pinion and one spur gear (S107 uses to stage or double reduction pinion to spur-
Pinion to spur gear set) on the S107 main shaft and a NE Sky Eagle prop, I would have to make a simple balsa block to mount the motor, DIY gear box and shaft assembly into.
I'll do a build threat on that plane and post it here.

I went into a model shop earlier to get another S107 to breakdown for plane building, I walked out with a dead (no power up or lights) S111 coast guard for 3, but it looks so good I'm gonna have to make it fly again rather than break it, I love/hate it when that happens.

EDIT:- combination of V911 motor and pinion to S107 spur with S107 main shaft could work if the gears mesh ok.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:01 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,583 Posts
I found the V911 motor is the same as the HobbyZone Champ and the V929 quadcopter. The pinions are different size as well as the spur gears.
The Champ gearbox/motor mount is cheap, but I haven't found the pinion for sale.
The Quadcopter runs a simular diameter prop as the Champ, but it has alot more pitch like the v911 rotor blades.
Butch777 is online now Find More Posts by Butch777
Old Nov 01, 2012, 02:41 PM
umop apisdn - downside up
United States, MI, West Bloomfield Township
Joined Sep 2012
950 Posts
Hi again

I've been thinking...

I wonder if the V911 brick, battery and motor would be too heavy for one of these:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...91mm_Span.html

The price is certainly right.

Owen
nagromnewo is online now Find More Posts by nagromnewo
Old Nov 01, 2012, 02:50 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromnewo View Post
maybe not if you consider shipping is 3x more than the item.
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
Old Nov 02, 2012, 03:38 AM
Malaysia, Selangor, Kajang
Joined Jun 2009
1,430 Posts
Quote:
Hi again

I've been thinking...

I wonder if the V911 brick, battery and motor would be too heavy for one of these:

I'd expect the v911 brick + motor to be able to handle wingspans from 8 to 14 inches given the thrust and weight. That plane has around 11 inches wingspan so it should work.
slebetman is offline Find More Posts by slebetman
Old Nov 03, 2012, 02:39 AM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,583 Posts
It looks like the V911 motor is the same one that's in my HZ Champ.
The Champ is 20" wingspan and has a good amount of power.
Butch777 is online now Find More Posts by Butch777
Old Nov 04, 2012, 06:10 AM
We can rebuild it!
Joined Apr 2010
3,686 Posts
Quote:
Hi again

I've been thinking...

Owen
My twin engine Jaguar fighter I posted a little earlier has a 12" wing span, it has to go pretty fast for level fight, IMHO you will also have to fly pretty fast to gian the lift needed if you have one inch LESS wingspan, the running gear in my plane is as follows...
  • S107 PCB
  • S107 150mAh LiPo
  • Two 7mm pager motors
  • One 4mm tail motor
  • Two counter rotating Udi UFO quadcopter props
  • S107 tail blade

The above parts weigh in at 14.2 grams and I got an AUW of 24 grams and a max thrust of 30 grams.

Any idea what the V911 brick, LiPo and motor weigh in at?
What's you plan for attaching the motor to the prop? I've been wanting to try a rubber band conversation for ages.
Last edited by djdavies83; Nov 04, 2012 at 06:16 AM.
Old Nov 05, 2012, 08:52 AM
Joined Oct 2006
31 Posts
Anyone thought of using the S800 4 channel RX? It's a normal co-axial with a pair of 'servos' - motors with centering springs.

Would using a motor(servo, thing) on both ailerons give enough control, along with differential thrust?

Would it be better to use a servo on both elevators?

Just seems easier to rig up than an aileron system, but then, I'm far from experienced.

Just a thought - some of the Tamco helis (same as the Modelzone's Helizone range) have 7mm motors with 4 holes in the can around the main shaft - those seemed to give a bit more power.
ShaKaan is offline Find More Posts by ShaKaan
Old Nov 05, 2012, 05:36 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,594 Posts
If anybody is interested:

$11.40 for a v911 board at AliExpress : http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2-4G-...581440048.html

Looks like the cheapest around at this time
mystman is online now Find More Posts by mystman
Old Dec 19, 2012, 02:41 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2012
1,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdavies83 View Post

Any idea what the V911 brick, LiPo and motor weigh in at?
What's you plan for attaching the motor to the prop? I've been wanting to try a rubber band conversation for ages.
Im a bit late to join the discussion but have been using the v911 boards to make small models & do like them. The servos are pretty decent with lots of throw, especially when compared to the linear types on nine eagle & horizon hobby boards. A flysky 9x radio is really useful but I did at one point fly with the stock v911 tx.

After some experimenting I found the only real issue is the motor needs to be geared to make enough thrust & the large v911 spur gear reduces the head speed too much, you end up running an 8" prop on a 12" wingspan plane, it will take off vertical like a heli but not make enough pitch speed for level flight.

I ended up using a combination of a parkzone p-51 gearbox with the more powerful bravo sx motor (but the v911 motor is decent too), gws 5045 prop & 160mah turnigy lipo, which iirc produced 56g of thrust & a pitch speed of 35mph-ish. The nine eagles micro 8.5mm gearbox is also suitable.

I have been obsessively logging the weight of things but dont have the weight of the actual gearbox & cant weigh it right now as its stuck to a plane but I think its around 1-2g

v911 board with aeriel but no power cable = 5.5g
8.5mm parkzone p-51 motor (they are all very similar weight) = 5.3g
V911 lipo = 4.4g, 160mah nanotech = 3.8g

This video is of my first working effort which was a 30cm profile cub built from heavy pizza foam, lots of carbon rods, tape & hot glue. It came in around 45g & still performed pretty well so its quite a flexible package, the only downside is its only 3 channel but that is still fine for a lot of applications.

Anyway, best of luck

Baby Piper J3 cub profile (1 min 56 sec)
limmacslim is online now Find More Posts by limmacslim
Old Dec 19, 2012, 05:11 PM
Weltherrschaft will be mine
Germany, SN, Leipzig
Joined Nov 2012
292 Posts
I ve been building planes with v911 btw 9958 bricks for 3 months no...
works great, but:
- you need another gearbox, best results i had were with a 5/4 kavan prop and 1/3 or 1/4 gearing, generates about 45 grams of trust. nine eagles an co gearboxes work as well. v939 gearboxes work well too, but are big, and you need to find the rigth prop for that for every plane
- i use cheap rubber powered depron planes with wingspan > 65 zentimeters, works great
- try to keep the weigth below 80 grams, ideal are below 40 grams
-these planes need a lot of "sturz", in english, the prop axis should point 5- 15 degrees down, otherwise the plane climbs into stalling and isn t very fast...
- get at least the v939 tx btw a 9x, believe me flying a plane with stock 9958 tx is now fun if you arn t prepared to run...
borkencorter is offline Find More Posts by borkencorter
Last edited by borkencorter; Dec 20, 2012 at 09:33 AM.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 09:34 AM
Weltherrschaft will be mine
Germany, SN, Leipzig
Joined Nov 2012
292 Posts
xcuze my bad english, it is a bit rusty
borkencorter is offline Find More Posts by borkencorter