SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 04, 2012, 09:29 AM
United Kingdom, Wales, Dinas Powys
Joined Jan 2005
61 Posts
Da iawn D-D. Building light was obviously right. When I tried the GPS-7 it was in a flat plate ex-rubber f/f, AR6400 45g Yak type.
The Cub is now finished, but not yet flown. It has come out a bit heavy at 64g but the GPS-8 should cope, although the point of using this rx is to be able to go light. I'll try for something smaller once the V911 kit proves itself. As I'm using the V911 tx, there's no servo reversal and I wasn't thinking when I connected up the rudder. Instead of just switching the servo horn to the inside, I went and crossed the link to the port side of the rudder. This meant a bit of a fuselage hack but the plane was surplus so not to worry.
The servos seem to be very fast with plenty of throw even on the low setting, so much so that I've used the inner hole on the servo arm.
A couple of photos to show the set-up and hopefully a flight perhaps this evening if the rain holds off.
BatLaw is online now Find More Posts by BatLaw
to remove ads between posts
Old May 04, 2012, 11:34 AM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,141 Posts
Wonderfull.. Now I'm thinking of ordering a $20 complete v911 Heli (sans TX) rather than just the RX board at $12
As I'm liking my V911 enough to not want to turn a 'fun' toy into Donor Bits.. any time soon.
There is a fairly simple TX resistor mod that reduces the rate even further, should you feel the need. .. Look in Micro helis forum
Bare is online now Find More Posts by Bare
Old May 04, 2012, 02:26 PM
Near Aberystwyth - Wales
Joined Aug 2004
2,119 Posts
Nice looking Cub, neat way to install the battery.

I am using FlySky TH9X with my V911 and the Mini STC.

On the STC I am using outer hole in Servos and outer hole on the control horns i made, even so I have high rate set to only 65% otherwise rudder binds on elevator, elevator at 65% is more than enough, Low rates set at 45% and still good control.
Del-Dredd is offline Find More Posts by Del-Dredd
Old May 06, 2012, 07:22 PM
United Kingdom, England, Redcar
Joined Jan 2006
3,276 Posts
Would one of these fit inside a fox mini glider
scousethief is offline Find More Posts by scousethief
Old May 07, 2012, 05:02 AM
Joined Jan 2005
61 Posts
It's approximately 25mm x 28mm and the Fox fuz is approx. 35mm at the cockpit, so with a bit of hacking it will fit but with only 5mm left each side. I'd have thought that would still have enough structural integrity. Are you going to fit a motor or keep it as a glider/slope soarer? Why not try the Art Tech Diamond 600 or Mini Discus. They both look prettier, although the high stab. makes the elevator linkage more difficult.
Knowing how the Fox flies, I'd imagine you'd be advised not to use the V911 tx because of the limited range. As I just want to buzz around my garden, the heli tx is adequate for that.
Old May 07, 2012, 11:34 AM
Near Aberystwyth - Wales
Joined Aug 2004
2,119 Posts
Has the Cub flown yet, was pretty calm here yesterday.
Old May 07, 2012, 11:43 AM
Joined Jan 2005
61 Posts
No, not yet. Great weather yesterday meant a day gardening and then the golfers were out late blocking the fairway/aerodrome! Today we've got the monsoon back.
Old May 07, 2012, 01:18 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare View Post
erm.. the range limitation is Purely due to the 70mwatt output of the acompanying Tx Not the Rx itself.
actual output of both the tx and rx is 1mw not 70mw. the turnigy radio has 60mw but i much prefer the smaller, more ergonomic, v911 remote. specially since upgrading to er9x firmware. i was able to almost double the range of the stock v911 brick from 300' to 550' by adding a 1" piece of wire to the antennas (whip to dipole).
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
Old May 08, 2012, 10:04 AM
United Kingdom, England, Redcar
Joined Jan 2006
3,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLaw View Post
It's approximately 25mm x 28mm and the Fox fuz is approx. 35mm at the cockpit, so with a bit of hacking it will fit but with only 5mm left each side. I'd have thought that would still have enough structural integrity. Are you going to fit a motor or keep it as a glider/slope soarer? Why not try the Art Tech Diamond 600 or Mini Discus. They both look prettier, although the high stab. makes the elevator linkage more difficult.
Knowing how the Fox flies, I'd imagine you'd be advised not to use the V911 tx because of the limited range. As I just want to buzz around my garden, the heli tx is adequate for that.
Hello m8 , ive had the Fox and the Diamond 600 for a while now and just bought an Air Rider from ebay , looking forward to the conversions (powered 5-10g motor small prop ) just though one of these might suit a light weight glider if i could figure out the best way to do it.
scousethief is offline Find More Posts by scousethief
Old May 08, 2012, 01:01 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1993 View Post
actual output of both the tx and rx is 1mw not 70mw. the turnigy radio has 60mw but i much prefer the smaller, more ergonomic, v911 remote. specially since upgrading to er9x firmware. i was able to almost double the range of the stock v911 brick from 300' to 550' by adding a 1" piece of wire to the antennas (whip to dipole).

Great! thank you for the update In truth.
I truth only read posted wattages from the mod site
Good to hear that a simple RX antenna mod increases range.. if it works on a stock V911 Tx?... Please elaborate as to which TX /rx combo gives what range then as 300' is at the edge of Optimistic for the v911 setup.
Actually not that it matters in real life as 300' is one city block !!
I would need binoculars to see my V911 heli, let alone a Wee airplane, enough to judge ..any.. kind of effective controllable orientations :-)
Last edited by Bare; May 08, 2012 at 01:16 PM.
Old May 08, 2012, 01:27 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare View Post
Great! thank you for the update In truth.
I truth only read posted wattages from the mod site
Good to hear that a simple RX antenna mod increases range.. if it works on a stock V911 Tx?... Please elaborate as to which TX /rx combo gives what range then as 300' is at the edge of Optimistic for the v911 setup.
Actually not that it matters in real life as 300' is one city block !!
I would need binoculars to see my V911 heli, let alone a Wee airplane, enough to judge ..any.. kind of effective controllable orientations :-)
ive been using a stock v911 remote for flying my 4' foamie with flysky 3ch recently so not always wee heli or plane too small to see. its why i needed the longer range. then decided to see what can be done with stock rx. note that this depends largely on local rf wifi etc activity and terrain but i think your results will be similar:

my stock rx and tx gave me 100 paces (about 300'?) and when adding a 27mm piece of thin wire to the rx and 29mm to the tx it increased to 180 paces. just tack the wires on where shield meets exposed conductor. adjusting the length of the original exposed conductor helps too. if you are interested ill post some closeups.
Last edited by dave1993; May 08, 2012 at 01:35 PM. Reason: offer to take pics
Old May 08, 2012, 08:37 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,141 Posts
OK,, erm that's more than an ODD setup Tiny v911 servos trying to cope with a 4Foot model!? .
Engenders more skepticism than belief my friend.
But 'charitably' anything is possible.. even what simply doesn't seem so, on the reading of.
YES! please post piccies.. for us unbelievers :-)
Last edited by Bare; May 09, 2012 at 10:06 PM.
Old May 10, 2012, 06:00 AM
Near Aberystwyth - Wales
Joined Aug 2004
2,119 Posts
He was using the V911 Remote ie Transmitter to fly the 4ft model not the receiver board.
Old May 10, 2012, 12:08 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
correct. 3ch flysky rx for the big foamies. im not removing the heli rx until i get more spares. there are lots of pics of my plane on rcg. i did range tests with the bitty rx by hanging the heli by its tail and backing off with the remote. almost too far away to see the collective spin.

i took photos for doubting thomas but itll take a day or two to unload them. this camera dont come up as a drive on the pc. theres nothing magical about that antenna upgrade. like i said just tack on a piece of wire to the whip at end of shield:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...v#post18382969
Old May 12, 2012, 08:18 AM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
for those who BARE-ly believe this is possible i was finally able to transfer some pics:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...3#post21591294