wow what a find
i think there would be alot of fighting on who has the right to have them
better to leave them underground
MclF1 is online now Find More Posts by MclF1
Old Apr 19, 2012, 03:33 AM
Australia, VIC, Croydon
Joined Nov 2006
59 Posts
No fighting over them at all apparently.

It was one of the reasons that the British PM went to Burma recently. The Burmese government has agreed to allow the recovery and the British government has told the gentleman that found them that they will not make any claims on the airframes.

Will be interesting to see how they have fared in the tropical soil.
Jindivik is offline Find More Posts by Jindivik
Old Apr 19, 2012, 04:38 AM
Member #1
Australia, NSW, Picnic Point
Joined Aug 2011
6,907 Posts
So who gets them then? The guy who did the hard work or the original owners? (British government) and what will Burma get from it all?
Teamsherman is offline Find More Posts by Teamsherman
Old Apr 19, 2012, 07:23 AM
Beating air into submission!
Joined Aug 2011
1,855 Posts
Wow! What a find..let's hope they can be in flying condition and they don't end up in the hands of greedy private collectors of aircraft. Ideally these aircraft should be on display and flying so we all can appreciate the famous Supermarine Spitfires.
GrahamWilson is online now Find More Posts by GrahamWilson
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 19, 2012, 07:27 AM
Greg
Tas, Australia
Joined Oct 2010
429 Posts
Waiting for the pics of proof. When did this story start 1st April? I'd like to be wrong but I'm a little sceptical.
gdh240 is offline Find More Posts by gdh240
Old Apr 19, 2012, 08:55 PM
Have plane, will crash
Australia, VIC, Newport
Joined Oct 2006
853 Posts
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/de...-in-Burma.html
Hytram is offline Find More Posts by Hytram
Old Apr 20, 2012, 04:42 AM
Joined Oct 2006
305 Posts
so they appear to be Mark XIV powered by Griffon engines like this one , lets hope they get to fly one day
Spitfire MK14 Duxford (2 min 49 sec)
mrgriz is offline Find More Posts by mrgriz
Old Apr 20, 2012, 07:23 PM
Beating air into submission!
Joined Aug 2011
1,855 Posts
MK XVI at Temora NSW

We have an aviation museum at Temora NSW Australia that has 2 flying Spitfires, a Mk IX and a MK XVI.
I went out there in March to eperience the Spitfire. I have no idea of how fast they are until I witnessed it flying. Standing next to the aircraft it is a lot smaller that I thought it was from the photos and vieos I have seen

Here is some video that I shot whist I was there..I hope that they can get everyone of these aircraft that they have found in flying condition and into places like Temora.

Incredible Spitfire MKXVI Fighter Flying at Temora NSW 2012 (12 min 22 sec)
GrahamWilson is online now Find More Posts by GrahamWilson
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 20, 2012, 09:15 PM
Australia, VIC, Croydon
Joined Nov 2006
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdh240 View Post
Waiting for the pics of proof. When did this story start 1st April? I'd like to be wrong but I'm a little sceptical.
This story started years ago, has just got media attention now because the British PM made it one of the main discussion points during his trip to Burma. If it is an April 1st joke, it is one of the most elaborate I have seen.

Story broke well after April 1 though.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 09:17 PM
Australia, VIC, Croydon
Joined Nov 2006
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamsherman View Post
So who gets them then? The guy who did the hard work or the original owners? (British government) and what will Burma get from it all?
By all accounts they will go to the gent that found them, British PM has given his assurance that the government will make no claim on the airframes and the Burmese government has approved their recovery and removal from Burma.

Looks like these will go to highest bidders and hopefully a few museums.

Wonder how much of an affect on the world Spitfire prices flooding the market with 20 odd aircraft will have.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 10:39 PM
My view over the back fence..
Australia, VIC, Kerang East
Joined Sep 2011
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jindivik View Post
Looks like these will go to highest bidders and hopefully a few museums.

Wonder how much of an affect on the world Spitfire prices flooding the market with 20 odd aircraft will have.
A lot will depend on their actual condition when they are dug up. If some or all of them are in good condition, they will be valuable to museums. There is only one Spitfire in the world still with it's original WW2 paint intact. It's in the War museum in Canberra I think. So in original condition as "time capsules" they will be popular items with museums.

As for returning them to flying condition, none will be flyable "out of the box", no mater how well they have been preserved. In fact the more badly damaged they are, the less attractive they will be to museums, and perhaps the more likely they will be re-built to fly again. All that is needed these days to build a Spitfire from scratch is an original firewall with the makers numbers intact, and a set of undercarriage legs. All other parts can be easily sourced or made from scratch. In 2000 a Spitfire was "destroyed" in a flying accident in the UK. In 2010 it flew again! Somewhere around $3 million will get you a zero hours on the clock, "brand new" Spitfire. The number of flying Spitfires is over 50, and that number grows every year.

Still, if 20, or even 12, were to come on the market at the one time, it would be "interesting" to say the least.
Aussie Steve is offline Find More Posts by Aussie Steve
Old Apr 20, 2012, 10:59 PM
Member #1
Joined Aug 2011
6,907 Posts
Is this a shoot off story of the planes in the QLD mine? Hmmm very sceptical!
Old Apr 21, 2012, 12:54 AM
Is my CG correct?
Wollongong, Aus
Joined Sep 2009
5,096 Posts
What about engines from scratch Steve?
discostu956 is offline Find More Posts by discostu956
Old Apr 21, 2012, 03:00 AM
Member #1
Joined Aug 2011
6,907 Posts
I can believe the story's of WWII stuff being buried after the war though, if anyone knows about Bare Island in botany bay, the main gun there was missing for years until someone contacted an old gunner that was posted there and asked where the gun was. He said that it was too big, heavy and awkward to take off the island so they buried it in the very room it used to sit. Sonar later on proved it and the dug it up and now it sits proudly where It did originally.

I have heard many storys of war treasures being buried over the years but whole squadrons of planes? That's alot of digging! Lol