Old Apr 19, 2012, 12:54 AM
SJ
Denmark EKCH
Joined Apr 2001
1,391 Posts
Discussion
35mm Red Arrows Hawk

Hi Guys.

I could not find a thread discussing this little hawk specificly.

I bought one, but im waiting for my 2S 370 batteries, and a micro RX that fits the small 2g servos.

Anyone out there have one of these skyangel 35mm "Nano T-45" hawks ?

Any mods, and is the CG in the manual good ?
SJ is online now Find More Posts by SJ
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 19, 2012, 08:44 AM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,920 Posts
I have had the Mig-15 and the Mig-29 twin from this line...so I might be able to add some insight.

The little fan/motor combo seems pretty decent. On the stock 2s power, you'll have enough power to zip around a little bit but the power:weight ratio isn't spectacular. Expect shallow climb-outs. If you upgrade to a 10A(?) ESC you should be able to run 3s on the stock 5 blade rotor...if they included the 3 blade rotor, you should be ok with the stock ESC. The power on 3S is vastly better and the high rpm sounds pretty good too.

Wing loading on my two 35mm jets was pretty high and they both do ugly things if you slow them down. The Mig-15 was horrendous and would end up in a non-recoverable stall with almost no effort. The Mig-29 is a bit more stable and I suspect your Hawk might be ok...but test your stall characteristics when you're up really high.

I'm not sure what the exhaust looks like in the Hawk but the ducting in the Mig-15 was terrible...a cone tapered to 85% FSA made from light weight material would be a great idea and would likely improve performance noticably if it's anyting like the Mig-15.

Check your surfaces for warping. It seems like these J-Power planes are shipped in a furnace or something...even if it looks straight, make sure you're not running any wash-in at the trailing edges of the wing tips...as this would make stalling even more likely.

Not sure if that helped. I was tempted to pick up the Hawk since it looks extremely cool. The Mig 15 was from the first release (along with the Saber) and judging by the changes made for the Mig-29, they did improve a lot for the second wave.
MRGTX is offline Find More Posts by MRGTX
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:44 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,147 Posts
Here's a few hundred references to the 35mm Hawk in the thread Skyangel/HK Mig-15/29, F-86, T-45, F-15/16/18 and A-10 35mm EDF Jets now available!:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/searc...724&query=hawk
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged