Joined Apr 2004
417 Posts
Discussion
Are you Looking for informal flying? Come to Arlington -Have site

Informal glider flying in the DFW area.

5000 W Pioneer pkwy

battery at juno.com
kewhite is offline Find More Posts by kewhite
Last edited by kewhite; Jun 23, 2012 at 05:00 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 19, 2012, 09:31 AM
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Apr 2009
18 Posts
You need to get on the mailing list for Soaring League of North Texas: http://slnt.org/Welcome.html

Send an email to Dan (he can be contacted through the site), and you will then get all the notifications of fun flying and contests. It is a good group.

Cheers,
Eric
Ericr367 is offline Find More Posts by Ericr367
Old Apr 19, 2012, 10:11 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2004
417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericr367 View Post
You need to get on the mailing list for Soaring League of North Texas: http://slnt.org/Welcome.html

Send an email to Dan (he can be contacted through the site), and you will then get all the notifications of fun flying and contests. It is a good group.

Cheers,
Eric
There was no reply when I asked them about another topic but I can try again. Still looking or anyone can come fly at the new site in Arlington..
Last edited by kewhite; Apr 19, 2012 at 01:02 PM.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 02:13 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,844 Posts
Hi Eric,

I fly (not often enough) with the guys from SLNT. There is lots of informal flying in Lewisville at the "407 Field". I've never flown at the Arlington field but would like to. Do you have the coordinates of the field, would like to look at the Sat images. Arlington is much closer for me, I live in Bedford.

Don
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Apr 19, 2012, 02:44 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2004
417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells View Post
Hi Eric,

I fly (not often enough) with the guys from SLNT. There is lots of informal flying in Lewisville at the "407 Field". I've never flown at the Arlington field but would like to. Do you have the coordinates of the field, would like to look at the Sat images. Arlington is much closer for me, I live in Bedford.

Don
You can type in 5000 West Pioneer pkwy Arlington and google earth with show it.

Map and ground pic on my blog..

Battery at juno.com
Old Apr 19, 2012, 02:58 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,844 Posts
Thanks, found it 32° 43' 30.50" N 97° 10' 59.02" W. I'll give you a shout weekend after this if the winds don't carry us away . Would love to meet you and catch some lift.

Cheers,

Don
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Jun 22, 2012, 05:45 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2004
417 Posts
If anyone is in the Arlington area this might be the last summer to fly at this designated are with no joggers etc. The owner said a fence might go up in Sept that would make landing difficult.

Come fly...
Old Jun 26, 2012, 03:52 PM
Joined Nov 2005
3,551 Posts
Ah, the good old days of flying at Veterans Park must be over...In a galaxy far, far, away.

Marc
R.M. Gellart is offline Find More Posts by R.M. Gellart
Old Jun 26, 2012, 11:19 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2004
417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVSS Boss View Post
Ah, the good old days of flying at Veterans Park must be over...In a galaxy far, far, away.

Marc
http://youtu.be/wHPjxf4q91Q

Veterans Park is still on.. this was shoit there.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 12:19 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,779 Posts
Cecil Haga used to call Veterans Park "Ol' Sandbur"... I believe that's where the Legionair series made it's debut...

Delores and I are moving back to the Ft. Worth area. We should be settled in by Labor Day... I hope...
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Jun 27, 2012, 12:38 PM
Stick lift beats no lift
USA, TX, Arlington
Joined Mar 2003
147 Posts
The Lord given and the Lord taketh away

Sad as it is we may lose most of the field on Pioneer that Trinity United Methodist Church has been very nice to allow us to use for a couple years now, we can still fly gliders at Veterans. A smaller high start is best. It's still a good flying spot, even with the addition in recent years of disc golfing and its attendant structures and enthusiasts.

Alas, there is some not-so-good news there too, depending on your point of view - the City of Arlington decided that self-propelled things that fly, regardless of size or type fuel are simply too dangerous for city parks. (On the other hand if you are a disc golfer, please feel welcome to continue to come out with your swarm of beer swilling buddies, shout obscenities for my 7 year old to memorize instantly. Oh, and don't just pile your trash on the ground at hole 19, spread it in a line from hole to hole. If I could figure out which frequency they control those frisbees on, I swear I'd shoot them down if I could do it without violating the AMA code, which I would not knowingly do.)

I'm glad you're coming to Fort Worth Mr. Hotdog Sailplane pilot. We need more get togethers in the Westoplex, but I'm just not able to organize things much myself.

That was a rare rant, and yes, I do feel better now.
TexasJohn is offline Find More Posts by TexasJohn
Old Jun 27, 2012, 04:46 PM
Stick lift beats no lift
USA, TX, Arlington
Joined Mar 2003
147 Posts
Correction

I meant to say "Mr. Hot Dawg Glider Pilot". Hot Dog Sailplane Pilot is someone else.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:16 PM
Stick lift beats no lift
USA, TX, Arlington
Joined Mar 2003
147 Posts
The power line running north-south through this field has been removed. Its back to about 500 north south and 600 east west. Pretty nice again.

They guys at the corner gas station convenience store continue to be very generous - you can plug chargers into an outside outlet.