HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Lobe_DethFaurt, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 11:21 PM
Lover of fine cheeses
United States, IN, Mauckport
Joined Jan 2012
141 Posts
Discussion
Android-powered flight video? It works!

I have always wanted to attach a video camera to my Super Cub, but I could never decide on which keychain cam to buy. Long story short, I decided to tape a phone to it. It is a small android phone. I taped it to the plane with the camera pointed down, right under the battery box. It took 4 quarters taped under the tail to balance it! Anyway, I was quite nervous at launch: I knew that it was all or nothing! Luckily, it only dropped two feet before pulling up and away from the ground (hand launch). I ended up getting over 10 minutes of flight time, even with the added weight. The only thing that was bad about the whole thing was the speed in which it came in for a landing. I didn't think about it beforehand, but the added weight made for a higher stall speed: I had to keep the power on until I was a few feet off of the ground. I should have kept it on until I touched down: it dropped, hitting the ground on the gear, but then the nose hit the ground, flipping the plane over. The only damage was bent landing gear. Not like that hasn't happened before!
The video was of questionable quality, but only because I used a crappy class-2 micro SD card. Ultimately, it was just a successful test of whether the SC would fly with the camera attached.
That's it. That's all there is.

Peace
Lobe_DethFaurt is offline Find More Posts by Lobe_DethFaurt
to remove ads between posts