HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Twyl, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 25, 2012, 11:08 AM
Stockton CA.
Joined May 2007
731 Posts
Like the father and son picture!
lrplin is offline Find More Posts by lrplin
Old Apr 25, 2012, 12:33 PM
Silent Flight
United States, CA, Cypress
Joined Jul 2005
3,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrplin View Post
Like the father and son picture!
Thanks, he's a handful but I'm tickled that he enjoys airplanes and things that fly just like myself and his grandfather did.
Twyl is offline Find More Posts by Twyl
Old Apr 25, 2012, 12:48 PM
Stockton CA.
Joined May 2007
731 Posts
How old is your son? My son is five yr old. He come with me to fly all the time, and he wants to fly my planes too. But mostly, he is just too playful. He does not realize the safety issue and responsibility behind flying. I dont have a buddy box, so I hold his hands on the TX and let him control the plane. But....you know, many times, I almost lost the plane. Do you have any idea for how to teach young pilots?
Old Apr 25, 2012, 02:56 PM
Silent Flight
Joined Jul 2005
3,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrplin View Post
How old is your son? My son is five yr old. He come with me to fly all the time, and he wants to fly my planes too. But mostly, he is just too playful. He does not realize the safety issue and responsibility behind flying. I dont have a buddy box, so I hold his hands on the TX and let him control the plane. But....you know, many times, I almost lost the plane. Do you have any idea for how to teach young pilots?
My son is only three, although he is as tall as most five year olds he still doesn't quite have the up/down/right/left language part mastered. He does have a syma107 micro coaxial heli he "flies" in the house. He's still working on the navigation part but he does have the hover part down.

I am seriously considering a buddy box now though for play time at the slope. He's a bit upset if he understands we are going flying and he can't bring his heli, so currently I'm keeping him content with chuck gliders. My next step is to get working a free flight simulator (Slope Soaring Simulator) and then start with the buddy box. My main fear though is he's at the stage where "crashes" are fun, at least with his matchbox cars and other toys.

-Jonathan
Old Apr 25, 2012, 11:24 PM
Stockton CA.
Joined May 2007
731 Posts
Yes, my son is at the stage of crashes are fun too. I am getting a buddy box for him soon.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 06:50 PM
Silent Flight
Joined Jul 2005
3,951 Posts
I picked up a cheap flight sim off of Amazon for around $12 shipped. It looks to be a Chinese knock off of some other well known sims like Phoenix and Real flight, but it does the trick pretty nicely. I've enjoyed it, but find that teaching sloping to a 3 (almost 4) year old is a bit hard especially when you don't get the "wind in the face" feedback and have a understanding of the slope line. Not stopping me from trying though

-Jonathan
Old Jan 23, 2013, 07:50 PM
Stockton CA.
Joined May 2007
731 Posts
I have realflight already, but Thank you for sharing the information.