SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 18, 2012, 03:57 PM
Always Excel >>>
United States
Joined Mar 2012
2,108 Posts
Question
Pros & Cons of Multi Lipo V.S. one large one?

Hi Folks;

What would be the advantages & disadvantages of adding smaller Lipos V.S. a single large one?

Let's say you want 8000 mh, is it better to get one large 8000 or 4 x 2000?

Thanks!
BenHayat is offline Find More Posts by BenHayat
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 18, 2012, 04:00 PM
Multi rotors=No Paycheck left
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
3,349 Posts
i would think it would just depend on the overall weight...if on battery is putting out the same power as 4 smaller ones...then all you would be concerned about is how much extra weight your gonna be lugging around...not to mention the room you need for 4 batteries...
SDSURFnGLIDE is offline Find More Posts by SDSURFnGLIDE
Old Apr 18, 2012, 04:14 PM
Always Excel >>>
United States
Joined Mar 2012
2,108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDSURFnGLIDE View Post
i would think it would just depend on the overall weight...if on battery is putting out the same power as 4 smaller ones...then all you would be concerned about is how much extra weight your gonna be lugging around...not to mention the room you need for 4 batteries...
That's exactly what I thought to have one with less overall weight than four. But I've seen some pro copters that has six lipos for a hex (each motor gets it's own) and one small one for the receiver and lights.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 04:25 PM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,944 Posts
the only real benefit that I see is that you can use smaller gauge wire to the batteries since the amp load is split 2 or 4 ways.

My Y-6s I fly on either 1 4s5000mah or 2 4s4000mah depending on use case.
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Old Apr 18, 2012, 04:30 PM
Always Excel >>>
United States
Joined Mar 2012
2,108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adidas4275 View Post
the only real benefit that I see is that you can use smaller gauge wire to the batteries since the amp load is split 2 or 4 ways.

Thanks!
Old Apr 18, 2012, 04:33 PM
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Copenhagen
Joined May 2010
1,154 Posts
Using one single would be preferable. Fewer solderjoints, fewer points of failure, smaller risk of forgetting to charge one of the packs and so on.
wizprod is offline Find More Posts by wizprod
Old Apr 18, 2012, 04:33 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,952 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDSURFnGLIDE View Post
The weight difference will only be the additional wires and connectors. A 4 cell 8000 mah pack should be similar in weight to 2 4 cells 4000 mah packs. Assuming you are comparing two packs with similar discharge rate.
SeismicCWave is offline Find More Posts by SeismicCWave
Old Apr 18, 2012, 04:34 PM
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Copenhagen
Joined May 2010
1,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adidas4275 View Post

Sure, but then you have to use more wire, so in the end, it's probably the same, or even heavier.
wizprod is offline Find More Posts by wizprod
Old Apr 18, 2012, 04:37 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,952 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenHayat View Post
Hi Folks;

What would be the advantages & disadvantages of adding smaller Lipos V.S. a single large one?

Let's say you want 8000 mh, is it better to get one large 8000 or 4 x 2000?

Thanks!
I use both. I like the double parallel packs because if one pack fails open I do have another pack. If one pack fails closed I am toast.

The disadvantage is it takes longer to charge two packs versus one. The advantage is that you are charging less capacity so you don't need a charger that can charge at a high rate.

The advantage with two packs is that you can place them in different location to adjust the CG. One big pack is more difficult to mount if you are tight in space.

Actually there difference is so small I use them interchangeably.

Let's think about it for a moment. What is a 4 cell 8000mah pack. It is 2 X 4 cells 4000 mah pack that the vendor wrapped them together for you.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 04:38 PM
Always Excel >>>
United States
Joined Mar 2012
2,108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeismicCWave View Post
A 4 cell 8000 mah pack should be similar in weight to 2 4 cells 4000 mah packs. Assuming you are comparing two packs with similar discharge rate.
How much of a weight saving would be between an 8000 v.s. 4x2000?
Old Apr 18, 2012, 04:41 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,952 Posts
Quote:
How much of a weight saving would be between an 8000 v.s. 4x2000?
The weight of one set of shrink wrap, wires and connectors. Look at the specs for a 8000 mah pack and the 4000 mah packs. The 8,000 mah pack is pretty much double the weight of the 4000 mah pack. Unless you are looking at two different discharge rate.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 04:41 PM
Always Excel >>>
United States
Joined Mar 2012
2,108 Posts
Quote:
I use both. I like the double parallel packs because if one pack fails open I do have another pack. If one pack fails closed I am toast.

The disadvantage is it takes longer to charge two packs versus one. The advantage is that you are charging less capacity so you don't need a charger that can charge at a high rate.

The advantage with two packs is that you can place them in different location to adjust the CG. One big pack is more difficult to mount if you are tight in space.

Actually there difference is so small I use them interchangeably.

Let's think about it for a moment. What is a 4 cell 8000mah pack. It is 2 X 4 cells 4000 mah pack that the vendor wrapped them together for you.
Excellent points, especially spreading the weight. Now I can see why one person was using 6 and each arm was getting one and weight distribution was very balanced.
Thank you Sir!
Old Apr 18, 2012, 04:49 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,952 Posts
Quote:
Excellent points, especially spreading the weight. Now I can see why one person was using 6 and each arm was getting one and weight distribution was very balanced.
Thank you Sir!
Another reason for using 6 is to be able to use smaller gauge wire plus shorter wires to the ESCs and motors. Long wire between the battery and ESC will make the capacity hot. Long wires between the ESC and the motor may give you RF interference. So individual packs on each arm reduce the wire size and length. However there are no free lunches. Putting weight on the arm may increase the inertia and makes it harder to stabilize.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 04:59 PM
Always Excel >>>
United States
Joined Mar 2012
2,108 Posts
Quote:
Another reason for using 6 is to be able to use smaller gauge wire plus shorter wires to the ESCs and motors. Long wire between the battery and ESC will make the capacity hot. Long wires between the ESC and the motor may give you RF interference. So individual packs on each arm reduce the wire size and length. However there are no free lunches. Putting weight on the arm may increase the inertia and makes it harder to stabilize.
The batteries were at the end of each arm close to the center. If my memory serves me right, a portion of the battery was on the main plate and then the center had two stacks for CF and receiver.

And you're right, much shorter and smaller wires and the ESC were right in the middle of the arms.
Now I think he really had a nice, balanced, cool bird flying.

Now, I really like the idea of multiple spread batteries better.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 05:02 PM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizprod View Post
Sure, but then you have to use more wire, so in the end, it's probably the same, or even heavier.

my issue with large guage wire isnt necessarily the weight.... large guage wire is bulky and hard to turn corners and harder to ft into certain types of connectors.

also your connectors are only rated to a specific amp rating... so if you are at the 80-100amp on peak that is higher than Deans a speced at....

if you use 2 packs you would be still in the range for deans...

just one example.... like I said I use both
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275