HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 18, 2012, 03:12 PM
Joined Sep 2004
184 Posts
Discussion
E-flite Ultra Stick 25 vs E-Flite Pulse XT 25

I am looking for an electric model that has good sports performance and which I can fly even when it's breezy.

I figure a 50" model might be the ticket, and I've narrowed down my search to two E-flite kits, the Ultra Stick 25 and the Pulse XT 25.

I would use the Power 25 option to start with.

I'm not an expert pilot, so I need something that can be flown as an intermediate, but which will still be interesting when I'm more accomplished.

Anyone flown both of these planes and could advise me of the relative performance/suitability?
Homesick Angel is offline Find More Posts by Homesick Angel
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 18, 2012, 03:47 PM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
3,993 Posts
Homesick Angel - what have you flown? How long have you flown RC? You are right about bigger planes doing well in a breeze, but a lot depends on you. Let us know a bit more, OK?
Don
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
Old Apr 18, 2012, 04:01 PM
Joined Sep 2004
184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrhardy View Post
Homesick Angel - what have you flown? How long have you flown RC? You are right about bigger planes doing well in a breeze, but a lot depends on you. Let us know a bit more, OK?
Don
Have toyed with RC for some years, but get little time. I started on slope gliders but have flown more and more electrics.... Pico Jet was my first powered plane, then FVK Trendy electric soarer, then Mountain Models Smoothe, plus assorted EPP electrics.... I am getting back into the hobby and have flown an OS 40 trainer to get accredited to fly at a local site. Liked the bigger kite on a windy day and thought about going for a glow engine. But then saw these E-Flite kis and thought I'd say electric......
Old Apr 18, 2012, 05:02 PM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
3,993 Posts
Well, both are balsa so repairs will not be as easy as foam. My flying friend had a nice Pulse that didn't do well when introduced to Terra Firma in an unusual attitude. It seemed to be a fairly fast plane. Ultra Sticks seem to be fairly forgiving. I have a Mini Ultra Stick and it is an easy flier. The bigger ones are reported to be easy to fly also. I mostly fly my 55" 3D planes as aerobatic, not 3D, and they are very stable. Size does matter.
You just need to be careful that you don't get too far over your head with a plane that is too fast, or too easy to over control.
Others will report in, hopefully someone that has flown both.
Don
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
Old Apr 18, 2012, 05:17 PM
Yea, I fly dusty planes..
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
From personal experience I will recommend the H9 Pulse. Its a good wind plane and a blast to fly. It can be a handfull depending on your setup buy thats how I like em. I would get the Pulse25 and put a 32 on it, that way you have room to grow as you feel more at ease with it. I have a 60" Big Red Stik 40 that I put a 46 electric on with 4S and wish I had of put a 60 in it. Its fun to fly, in fact I'm fixin to fly it in a few minutes. Dave/ZZ
zeezee is offline Find More Posts by zeezee
Old Apr 18, 2012, 09:00 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
1,486 Posts
The Ultra Stick will be more aerobatic, it has large control surfaces and zero dihedral. The only thing I cant get it to do is knife edge. It slows down really well, yet still has decent wind penetration (I was flying in 20 mph gusts last weekend).

The Ultra Stick is a fun-fly style airplane, with large control surfaces, thick symmetrical airfoil, and zero dihedral. Its capable of mild 3D and its a draggy airframe and will be slower with equivalent power system.

The Pulse is more of a standard sport plane. Strip ailerons, semi-symmetrical airfoil, generous dihedral. It will be less draggy and weigh a bit more, making for better wind penetration and faster speeds.
Eclipse_7 is offline Find More Posts by Eclipse_7
Old Apr 18, 2012, 10:52 PM
3D wing innovator
Dallas, Texas
Joined Dec 2009
2,124 Posts
I have flown both and the Pulse seems like a logical progression up from your recent T40 experience.
If you simply prefer the Stick, go for it! Start with a 32.. You control the power with prop and throttle.
Have your people make sure it is tuned for a less than lightning fast control response.
Turn up the power and throws when you are ready.
MikeRx is offline Find More Posts by MikeRx
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Build Service
Old Apr 19, 2012, 09:25 AM
fmw
Joined Jul 2009
1,955 Posts
I have owned and flown both. The Pulse is easier to fly and the Stick is more capable in terms of aerobatics. Both are good choices for an intermediate.
fmw is offline Find More Posts by fmw
Old Apr 19, 2012, 12:28 PM
Lysdexic I'm
Spring, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmw View Post
I have owned and flown both. The Pulse is easier to fly and the Stick is more capable in terms of aerobatics. Both are good choices for an intermediate.
+1 Same here and I agree
HeeBeeGeeBee is offline Find More Posts by HeeBeeGeeBee
Old Apr 19, 2012, 01:08 PM
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
It's nice to be right,(as in the Pulse)but one thing I would like to add is the amount of travel of the control surfaces. I like both airplanes and they are both good fliers. All that is needed to make the Pulse a more acrobatic plane is to give it more aileron travel, thats it.....fineee!
Old Apr 19, 2012, 04:23 PM
Joined Sep 2004
184 Posts
Thanks for all the useful advice. I thing i'll go for the Pulse. Hopefully its not more fragile than the Ultra Stick

Does the Pulse handle take off from grass ok?

I had not planned to use a Power 32 (too fast!), but seems the advice is that maybe it would be a better long term choice - provided the plane survives that long. This is recommended with a 4s pack, so I presume I should use one of those rather than a 3S pack?

It will make it heavier for landing is my only concern.

Any comments on these queries?
Old Apr 19, 2012, 09:34 PM
3D wing innovator
Dallas, Texas
Joined Dec 2009
2,124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick Angel View Post
Thanks for all the useful advice. I thing i'll go for the Pulse. Hopefully its not more fragile than the Ultra Stick

Does the Pulse handle take off from grass ok?

I had not planned to use a Power 32 (too fast!), but seems the advice is that maybe it would be a better long term choice - provided the plane survives that long. This is recommended with a 4s pack, so I presume I should use one of those rather than a 3S pack?

It will make it heavier for landing is my only concern.

Any comments on these queries?
I left the pants off and put on lightly larger wheels for grass usage on my pulse.

A 4s pack within the recommended range will not add enough weight to make a difference.
MikeRx is offline Find More Posts by MikeRx
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Build Service
Old Apr 20, 2012, 09:56 AM
fmw
Joined Jul 2009
1,955 Posts
Honestly, I never flew my Pulse with anything other than the Power 25. That seems to be a good motor for it for sport flying. I've used the Power 32 on 4S in the Stick and frankly, I think it flies better with the power 25. If your choice is the Pulse, then understand it is not a 3D or aerobatic plane. It is a sport flyer, I can't see that a Power 32 would be a better choice. We have two pulses at our club field. Both of them run on Power 25's. They do just fine.

Grass is always a matter of wheels. As mentioned above, remove the pants and, if that isn't enough, just buy some larger wheels. I've had no problem flying either of these models on grass.
fmw is offline Find More Posts by fmw
Old Apr 20, 2012, 10:28 AM
Lysdexic I'm
Spring, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,367 Posts
Use nylon bolts on your landing gear if you're flying off grass. It'll save your fuse if you do.
HeeBeeGeeBee is offline Find More Posts by HeeBeeGeeBee
Old Apr 20, 2012, 10:43 AM
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
Bigger wheels do the trick for grass and this plane will float in. I would go with the 32 though. Why not? Its about the same price and down the road you don't have to upgrade. I have a pic of my mini with the Dubro 2 3/4" narrow wheels.