HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 18, 2012, 03:23 PM
Joined Mar 2012
9 Posts
Discussion
Thrust tube

Hello guys,
What exactly is a thrust tube. Basic and advanced.. Tell me what you know about it!

Thanks
Strussen is offline Find More Posts by Strussen
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 18, 2012, 03:38 PM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,876 Posts
I guess you have made no attempt to look this up? Use the search, and read, read, read. Try here. http://www.bing.com/search?q=thrust+...11&sp=2&sk=AS1
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Apr 18, 2012, 03:58 PM
Joined Mar 2012
62 Posts
Basicallly its a tapered tube that runs from the back side of your EDF unit to the exhaust portion of your aircraft. Ive made them extend from the back of the exhaus up to an inch, or flush with the opening, or even just inside the opening. Just to experiment with the results.

There are a wide variety of materials that can be used. But from what Ive seen and found out myself is that mylar works very well. But dont want to use the super thin stuff. I believe what I use is .005-.010 transparencie sheets that can be found at your local office supply store.

Now as for the dimensions that are required that is the trick. And it requires a little math to do which I suck at. But there is a program for it.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1160865

Click on that link then you'll have to do some poking around. when you find the excell spread sheet input the information it asks of you. This is what I use and it works pretty good.
SilverState RC is offline Find More Posts by SilverState RC
Old Apr 18, 2012, 08:19 PM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Aug 2009
8,848 Posts
Here's the free app for making and printing a flat pattern for your thrust tube.
www.pulserate.com

You need to ad 1/4" to the length (for overlap when taping together with shiny Scotch tap on the insdie and out side) and add 1/4" to the "EDF" end for slipping over the EDF and taping.
We use .005 thick Acetate ("mylar") for jet's up to 100mm EDF size.

Here's a few pics of the process. The tube ends about flush with the end of the models exhast pipe (or up to 1/8" beyaond if you like.

Steve's FSA calculator is great.
efflux RC is offline Find More Posts by efflux RC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Updated blog Oct 2014
Old Apr 18, 2012, 08:25 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,170 Posts
nice pics Gary ...i use a "tool" too ...but after seeing that spoon ....my wifes wood spoon is going to disappear
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Apr 19, 2012, 03:52 AM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Aug 2009
8,848 Posts
I'm the chef around here, so I put back when I'm done.
efflux RC is offline Find More Posts by efflux RC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Updated blog Oct 2014
Old Apr 19, 2012, 04:25 AM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
Had to make tripple one for this monster, Joe.
jofro is offline Find More Posts by jofro