HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 18, 2012, 12:53 PM
Joined Nov 2004
272 Posts
Discussion
Manual or no manual?

We are about ready to box up some more kits. I'm always looking for a way to get the price down so I have an idea. What are your thoughts on no printed manual or drawings in a kit (any kit, not just ours)? The printed items would be available in a PDF format which for one thing will be in color, and you could print them at home or just view it on your computer. There are pros and cons both ways but a big pro would be a $5 reduction in the kit price. Note that I'm not trying to increase profits by doing this. The savings will be passed on. I'm just trying to get the retail price down. The time spent printing, stapling, cost savings of toner, ink and paper are certainly worth a $5 per kit reduction to me. Some 'cottage' kit makers are already doing this.

Mark
www.flyingbalsa.com
PT Gyro is offline Find More Posts by PT Gyro
Last edited by PT Gyro; Apr 18, 2012 at 02:27 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 18, 2012, 08:14 PM
Elizabeth South Australia 5113
Joined Nov 2005
1,783 Posts
G'day Mark
I did find that your plans and instruction are of a very high class when building the Scout, and that is unusual in this day and age. The good thing about your suggestion is that you would be able to update them as you wish as I see you have recently modified this kit.
I am sure that your customers would be happy to save money,so how about if you were to make it an optional extra giving a price with plan compared to with out.and let them decide on the price they wish to pay ?? I thought that the kit price was very reasonable........
Chris...........
britinoz is online now Find More Posts by britinoz
Old Apr 18, 2012, 11:23 PM
AND FOR MY NEXT TRICK....!
Omaha Millard, Nebraska, United States
Joined Sep 2004
4,062 Posts
You have more experience of selling models than I do, but when we advertised in Model Aviation we had many guys contacting us for plans, that had no access to a computer. Let's face it....many builders are older gentleman that don't surf the net, don't have "paypal" and don't want to download the manual. I'm happy to pay the extra $10.00 - $20.00 dollars for the manual. If you want to give a guy the option, I think that would be best.
Joe
jodini is offline Find More Posts by jodini
Old Apr 18, 2012, 11:27 PM
Joined Nov 2004
272 Posts
The way I would probably handle this, if we decide to go 'no manual', would be to box every kit with out the manual. If someone decides they want a printed manual we would collect 5 more bucks via PayPal and just send one of those large envelopes separately. The exception would be for an international shipment in which case I would open a kit box and insert the manual (still another 5 bucks though). This whole thing is just an idea..might not change anything..

Mark
PT Gyro is offline Find More Posts by PT Gyro
Old Apr 19, 2012, 11:26 AM
AND FOR MY NEXT TRICK....!
Omaha Millard, Nebraska, United States
Joined Sep 2004
4,062 Posts
I believe that's the way AK Models does their kits also.
jodini is offline Find More Posts by jodini
Old Apr 23, 2012, 05:32 AM
United Kingdom, Harpenden
Joined Oct 2009
388 Posts
Great Idea, Instant update's and money saving too.
BigTradioman is offline Find More Posts by BigTradioman