SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 26, 2012, 07:57 AM
Car Junkie trying to fly
United States, FL, Deltona
Joined Oct 2005
1,175 Posts
The cogging is from the sensorless vxl motor. It's just the nature of sensorless setups. The esc can't detect the rotor position upon startup.

Speed passion has some inexpensive sensored setups for $99 on aMain hobbies site when in stock. 17.5t perhaps.

Another option is just getting a sensored motor and wire for the VXL esc you already have. It supports sensored motors with the port on the front of the ESC.
Y2kGTP is offline Find More Posts by Y2kGTP
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 27, 2012, 11:27 AM
Joined Jan 2012
90 Posts
That's good to know. This is the first brushless that I ever owned. I guess that sensorless setups are fine for other types of cars, but why does anyone produce/use them if the sensored motor combos don't have this issue?
DIYJIM is offline Find More Posts by DIYJIM
Old Apr 27, 2012, 11:32 AM
Car Junkie trying to fly
United States, FL, Deltona
Joined Oct 2005
1,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYJIM View Post
That's good to know. This is the first brushless that I ever owned. I guess that sensorless setups are fine for other types of cars, but why does anyone produce/use them if the sensored motor combos don't have this issue?
Castle has a good explanation:
http://castlecreations.com/products/mamba_max_pro.html

OK, now Iím confused. Is Sensored better than Sensorless?
The answer is that for most users, Sensorless operation is still better.

Castleís Sensorless controllers offer best in class start up and braking which are fine for most users. Sensored only motor operation cannot deliver maximum efficiency.

Sensors are terribly inaccurate for motor timing purposes as the motorís magnetic fields change under load or at speed; thatís where Sensorless operation shines.
Sensorless is also just more dependable. There are fewer wires and connections that need to survive the incredibly rough treatment most RC cars and trucks endure.

Some guys do need sensored operation, mainly because the racing worldís rules require it, but also because it can offer slightly better start up and braking performance. Mamba Max Pro offers the ultimate in flexibility: use it with all your 1/10th motors, sensored or sensorless!
Y2kGTP is offline Find More Posts by Y2kGTP
Old Apr 27, 2012, 08:01 PM
Vancouver, BC
Joined Aug 2009
2,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYJIM View Post
I just bought a house on a creek so I'm also trying to figure out a rc whitewater boat.
For this ^

Go here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1404719
Firehawk989 is offline Find More Posts by Firehawk989