HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 18, 2012, 02:37 AM
Joined Jan 2012
90 Posts
Discussion
Fast Crawler exist?

I bought a Losi night crawler. It was fun for a little while. I really want a 4x4 that has enough speed to jump & just bash(carefully) with. I already installed a traxxas brushless combo that people say is fast, but on this truck it is still not fast.
I thought about a sc truck, but the tires are too low. Will a wraith or sc10 do 40 mph & still have enough torque? Pls don't kill me but the only traxxas that I think I would like is thre newest E-Maxx brushless, but I'm not rich.
DIYJIM is offline Find More Posts by DIYJIM
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 18, 2012, 09:07 PM
in memory of dez RIP
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Jun 2008
2,493 Posts
have you thought about a traxxas summit there are a few nice used ones out there and it will do what you need it to . with a revo platform and high and low and diff locks all controled from the radio speed and crawling ability .
rcphreak is offline Find More Posts by rcphreak
Old Apr 18, 2012, 09:44 PM
Joined Jan 2012
90 Posts
That must be the larger version, I went to the lhs today & they had the 1/16th version. I liked it but the display truck had so much play @ the hubs I didn't buy, & the battery compartments were so small. I'll check out the full size version.
I have never seen the larger one. I did see the slash they had & it looked really good, but the employee said cannot raise the suspension. They had the shocks in the middle mounting holes on the a-arms so I think it would raise the chassis some by moving the lower shock mounts. I'm still trying to make a decision. The shop didn't have any axial trucks in stock to check out.
Thanks, I am about to look online for a brushless summit to see what they look like.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 10:06 PM
Joined Apr 2012
32 Posts
edit: didn't read the above post correctly, sorry
Jon17 is offline Find More Posts by Jon17
Old Apr 19, 2012, 11:30 AM
Car Junkie trying to fly
United States, FL, Deltona
Joined Oct 2005
1,175 Posts
With the losi crawlers, they use worm gears in the axles that have a fairly high drag to them. This is fine for crawling slow, but will likely cause issues down the line if your putting alot of power to them tryin to bash with the vehicle.

The reasoning for their use is low clearance, and prevents rollback with less dragbrake for comps.

The full sized summit is almost 600$ new, and still brushed.....
Y2kGTP is offline Find More Posts by Y2kGTP
Old Apr 19, 2012, 04:23 PM
in memory of dez RIP
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Jun 2008
2,493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYJIM View Post
That must be the larger version, I went to the lhs today & they had the 1/16th version. I liked it but the display truck had so much play @ the hubs I didn't buy, & the battery compartments were so small. I'll check out the full size version.
I have never seen the larger one. I did see the slash they had & it looked really good, but the employee said cannot raise the suspension. They had the shocks in the middle mounting holes on the a-arms so I think it would raise the chassis some by moving the lower shock mounts. I'm still trying to make a decision. The shop didn't have any axial trucks in stock to check out.
Thanks, I am about to look online for a brushless summit to see what they look like.
the summit looks exactly like the small one just three times the size and has working lights . the smaller one has none of the features of the larger one .
Old Apr 19, 2012, 06:34 PM
Detroit 2-stroke junkie
USA, CA, Oceanside
Joined Jul 2008
3,275 Posts
A Crawler is not a SC truck and a SC truck is not a Crawler.

You really want 2 different machines.

The Summitt (full size) is probably your best option but will not have high performance at either job.
1320fastback is offline Find More Posts by 1320fastback
Old Apr 19, 2012, 07:24 PM
in memory of dez RIP
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Jun 2008
2,493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320fastback View Post
A Crawler is not a SC truck and a SC truck is not a Crawler.

You really want 2 different machines.

The Summitt (full size) is probably your best option but will not have high performance at either job.
i dissagree on performance a summit is a revo with a different body brushless it is quite fast if the proper system is used you can have a 40 + mph that can go slow with out killing and over heating the motor .

but i do agree that the summit would not hold a light to a properly set up crawler that does not go fast .
although it may seem like it you cant have both one or the other will suffer .
Last edited by rcphreak; Apr 19, 2012 at 07:39 PM.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 10:52 PM
Joined Dec 2011
6 Posts
you want a wraith mine can keep up with a sc truck on the straight and crawl so slow you can watch each lug hit the rocks. runnin mmp with 10.5 ballistic. we bash the heck out of them with our g6 style comps we even do sc style rock crawling courses where u stand in one spot and 10 of u at a time race. I even have 4 wheel steering and dig. Hard to beat a wraith.
hyintensity is offline Find More Posts by hyintensity
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:13 AM
USA, WA, Bonney Lake
Joined Aug 2008
3,416 Posts
I second the decision for a wraith, it will fly on a vxl motor, and be more stable than an scx on a vxl. I find the thought of a summit rediculous for a crawler, it drives over stuff, not crawls. there is a difference, as odd as that sounds
jettrooper02 is offline Find More Posts by jettrooper02
Old Apr 20, 2012, 07:32 PM
Joined Jan 2012
90 Posts
I am planning on keeping the night crawler but get a new brushed motor for it w/ the stock esc. It sounds like the wraith may work well for me if I install the vxl combo I have and stiffen the suspension a bit. I know it won't crawl as well with this setup, but that's ok since my losi is pretty amazing at getting over anything around my
house.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 10:30 PM
USA, WA, Bonney Lake
Joined Aug 2008
3,416 Posts
I would leave the suspension stock until you drive it, from the times I have driven the wraith, I found it was about perfect stock. Lower it a bit for better handling.

Also check out rccrawler, they have a lot of info over there.
jettrooper02 is offline Find More Posts by jettrooper02
Old Apr 25, 2012, 01:00 AM
Joined Dec 2011
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYJIM View Post
I am planning on keeping the night crawler but get a new brushed motor for it w/ the stock esc. It sounds like the wraith may work well for me if I install the vxl combo I have and stiffen the suspension a bit. I know it won't crawl as well with this setup, but that's ok since my losi is pretty amazing at getting over anything around my
house.
Go brushless in your night crawler makes a world of difference. Im one of the owners of The Crawl Space Colorado and we specialize in crawlers and scalers. Go on RCCrawler and read some of the threads for the night crawler and the wraith. U will see what im talkin about. Cant go wrong with either one and to have both is even more fun. Add a winch to your wraith and it can go anywhere.
hyintensity is offline Find More Posts by hyintensity
Old Apr 25, 2012, 09:50 AM
Car Junkie trying to fly
United States, FL, Deltona
Joined Oct 2005
1,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyintensity View Post
Go brushless in your night crawler makes a world of difference. Im one of the owners of The Crawl Space Colorado and we specialize in crawlers and scalers. Go on RCCrawler and read some of the threads for the night crawler and the wraith. U will see what im talkin about. Cant go wrong with either one and to have both is even more fun. Add a winch to your wraith and it can go anywhere.
Brushless in a losi is almost required. The worm gears eat up brushed motors quickly. I ran a 21.5T on 3s and it was great for crawling.
Y2kGTP is offline Find More Posts by Y2kGTP
Old Apr 26, 2012, 01:26 AM
Joined Jan 2012
90 Posts
I started out with an old modified brushed on-road motor, awesome torque but burned up w/ first run on lipo 2s. So, I went to lhs & got traxxas xvl 3500 combo. Now the truck cogs very bad and runs hot. I am going back to stock esc w/brushed motor and will either put vxl into my tc3 or a fast truck. I really do like the lnc, but will never try to get fast speeds from worm gears again. I am looking at a new emaxx roller on eBay for a basher. I hope I can get the high speeds from it. I just bought a house on a creek so I'm also trying to figure out a rc whitewater boat. I just have too much going on.