HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Hallmark, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 12:00 AM
Australia, SA, Munno Para
Joined Feb 2012
117 Posts
Cool
Beginners Read This! AXN is the plane to learn with...

Hi all,

I have been flying now for about two months and I have gone from being a crash, crush and curse flyer to - well - a bit of a noobie ace...

Seriously though the biggest question that beginners face is which plane should I learn on? Many of us look at the RC model websites and wonder what would be best, 3 or four channel? Push prop gliders or RTFs? High or low wing trainers etc etc... So I would like to help out with these suggestions.

I was in this same position in February (it is now mid-April) and I asked the 'friendly' sales guys at the hobby shop I liked the look of online. They said yes that Cessna is perfect for you, it is EPO foam so will repair easily if you crash it, it has all you need to fly in the box and as it has flaps it will be capable of slow flight and landings. So I ordered it as well as about $800 of other stuff for my entry into RC flying.

I then went to a local shop and bought Phoenix Flight Simulator (this was the best early purchase I'd made) and after screwing it up for an hour or so I was flying around in their Cessna 182 no worries. I scaled it to meet the weight, size and characteristics of the model I had coming and spent days flying in every spare moment I had. I actually became quite the 'screen' pilot.

So my Cessna arrived and I built it up after reading the Chinglish instructions and writing a sensible translation of the same. It pays to note this was supposedly ready to fly for beginners.

Once I built up the courage to try it out I went to a large three oval complex and after range checking the ailerons, elevator, rudder, throttle and flaps, I proceeded to take off. It is fair to say I was chasing the controls and if one were to visualise a roller coaster diving and climbing as it twisted through the air, you might have an idea of the beginning of the flight. However, I gained some control with trimming the elevator and rudder. I was really drained and decided to land before it all went wrong - and that's where it all went wrong.

I lined up the cricket pitch from about 50 metres and flicked the flaps switch. At this time the Cessna nose dived into the ground from about 20 metres (60') high and that was the end of that! The plane was not set up properly nor for 'beginners' and so the factory installed servos fired in reverse and the plane was a write off... So what to do?

Well I picked up the pieces and pondered my RC future. Long story short I went looking for another plane designed for beginners while I waited for the supplier to replace this one (on the grounds they sold it as RTF and for beginners) they are sending me a new one once the container arrives...

Anyway I found the AXN Clouds Fly or AXN Floater. It is a four channel powered glider that a drunk monkey with amputated thumbs could fly - after it is set up properly. PLEASE PLEASE ask someone to trim in and align your planes if you are new or you'll simply ruin your experience and enjoyment, not to mention your bank balance

Anyway here is a video that explains two things, one how when you are not trimmed in and have your radio set up incorrectly things can go wrong; and two, what happens when you think about your problem, ask for some guidance and then try again. The second video shows what can happen after three weeks of good 'normal' flights and you break a wing at the 2/3s point... You'll see what I mean.

Beginner flights:

Beginner Flights - From Crashes to Stunts (8 min 8 sec)

More intermediate flying of a 'broken' plane (oh and belly laughing):

AXN Spear (3 min 5 sec)

I hope this helps someone out there. I'll post more soon.

Hallmark

PS: Please 'like' the videos if you like them...
Hallmark is offline Find More Posts by Hallmark
Last edited by Hallmark; Apr 20, 2012 at 03:38 AM. Reason: Corrections
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 18, 2012, 05:35 AM
Australia, ACT, Gilmore
Joined Aug 2010
32 Posts
Double check every moving part

Hi
That does look quite a unique way of learning to fly
I hope you have worked out the centre of
gravity & the lateral balance correctly.

GOOD LUCK
Cheers
Ray
RADAR RAY is offline Find More Posts by RADAR RAY
Old Apr 18, 2012, 09:52 AM
Joined Feb 2012
117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RADAR RAY View Post
Hi
That does look quite a unique way of learning to fly
I hope you have worked out the centre of
gravity & the lateral balance correctly.
Thanks Ray, yes I had all of that under control and if you look at my YouTube videos (boring as bat crap, but I had fun ), you will see I do normally have control of the AXN and have become confident withit even in winds 25-35kph.

I have learned the CoG tricks from others mistakes, but lateral balance? That's news to me...???

I am sad to say my mistakes are relative to stupidity, foolishness and being too eager... I was just determined not to let the crash and cut down beat me

I have the blue AXN already built and will maiden that in the next day or two so that I can choose to fly long and slow or fast and furious

Thanks for the feedback though and I will post more videos in YouTube...

HMk
Old Apr 18, 2012, 08:07 PM
Australia, ACT, Gilmore
Joined Aug 2010
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallmark View Post
Thanks Ray, yes I had all of that under control and if you look at my YouTube videos (boring as bat crap, but I had fun ), you will see I do normally have control of the AXN and have become confident withit even in winds 25-35kph.

I have learned the CoG tricks from others mistakes, but lateral balance? That's news to me...???

I am sad to say my mistakes are relative to stupidity, foolishness and being too eager... I was just determined not to let the crash and cut down beat me

I have the blue AXN already built and will maiden that in the next day or two so that I can choose to fly long and slow or fast and furious

Thanks for the feedback though and I will post more videos in YouTube...

HMk
No probs
Lateral balance

Place the tail on table corner or have a friend hold it
Use the tip of your fingers at the front centre or prop
the plane should be level
Add weight to left or right of wing to level it

ps: Check my blog I have a picture
of a small lateral balancer I made

Hope this helps you
Cheers
Ray
RADAR RAY is offline Find More Posts by RADAR RAY
Old Apr 19, 2012, 01:35 AM
Joined Feb 2012
117 Posts
Thanks mate will sort that tonight after work... Much obliged!

HMk