HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 17, 2012, 09:14 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2012
1,090 Posts
Discussion
So, the Blade 130X and it's battery...charging/balancing?

I see the upcoming Blade 130X uses a 2S 300mAh battery. How does one charge/balance such a battery when it only has one lead/connector? It looks like it has three wires. I was wondering how I'd charge it on a conventional charger with charge leads and balance boards since it only has one plug.
sertav is offline Find More Posts by sertav
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 17, 2012, 09:28 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,839 Posts
Who knows what connector E Flite will use but I charge 2S LiPolys for their Beast with one of these.

http://www.progressiverc.com/paralle...beast-umx.html

I Also use one of his 6 LiPoly parallel harness for charging the 1S ones for my mcp X.

Most likely 130 will not be available before Aug. or Sept. knowing Horizion.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Last edited by everydayflyer; Apr 17, 2012 at 09:46 PM.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 09:35 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2012
1,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
Who knows whar connector E Flite will use but I charge 2S LiPolys for their Beast with one of these.

http://www.progressiverc.com/paralle...beast-umx.html

I Also use one of his 6 LiPoly parallel harness for charging the 1S ones for my mcp X.

Most likely 130 will not be available before Aug. or Sept. knowing Horizion.

Charles
Cool! Didn't know those harnesses existed. Don't have anything that takes a battery like that. The connectors look to be the same design, but size may be different. Who knows. But, at least a cheap solution actually exists.

+1 on HH delays with their new stuff. They say June, but Aug or Sept would still be awesome. I'm betting Christmas or beyond. However, I MUST have one of these 130X helis. But, also only after I read sufficient "real" customer reviews first. I'm not getting burned again like I did on the original V1 mCP X. Yes, I actually had a pre-crash "blade slinger".
Old Apr 18, 2012, 07:52 AM
FPV'r
Canada, ON, Carleton Place
Joined May 2011
1,226 Posts
man those cable adapters are expensive...
this is all you need to make your own plus one for 9 friends:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...0pcs_bag_.html

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/180827447832?...e=STRK:null:IT

and a piece of vero board.
- mount about 4 female connectors on vero board and connect in parallel with buss wire.
- add main power leads for your charger
- add 2S balance connector
ror1 is offline Find More Posts by ror1
Old Apr 18, 2012, 07:57 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,654 Posts
I am with the above, I made my own. will post pic of it later..
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Old Apr 18, 2012, 08:21 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,839 Posts
Expensive?

and a nice T- Bone steak cost more tha a Burger from the Golden Arches !

I have purchased over 200 balancing leafds, / extensions / gender changers from HK over the past several years. I use them 5 to 7 days out of a week during which time I charge mult LiPolys. For an average cost od 40 cents each they are great, however they are not top quality and will in fact fail sooner and more often than the ones from progressive rc.

If you do not understand what will happen during a parallel charge and one of the paralle leads is not making contact then oh well.

Charles
Old Apr 18, 2012, 08:30 AM
FPV'r
Canada, ON, Carleton Place
Joined May 2011
1,226 Posts
Quote:
Expensive?

and a nice T- Bone steak cost more tha a Burger from the Golden Arches !

I have purchased over 200 balancing leafds, / extensions / gender changers from HK over the past several years. I use them 5 to 7 days out of a week during which time I charge mult LiPolys. For an average cost od 40 cents each they are great, however they are not top quality and will in fact fail sooner and more often than the ones from progressive rc.
If you do not understand what will happen during a parallel charge and one of the paralle leads is not making contact then oh well.
Charles
if you can not do maintenance on your equipment than you better go play golf.
I have repaired 3 balance wires on my 2200mah batteries so far this spring.
Also get in the habit of testing your flight packs just before you connect them to the model.
Things will always break, no matter what you pay.
ror1 is offline Find More Posts by ror1
Old Apr 18, 2012, 09:29 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2012
1,090 Posts
Eh, big deal. It's only 11 bucks...not the end of the world... One of those is all I'd ever need.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 10:04 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,654 Posts
It's every members right to use or in this case pay what he wants to pay.

Some pay 5$ for RX while others prefer to pay 50$
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Old Apr 18, 2012, 10:23 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ror1 View Post
if you can not do maintenance on your equipment than you better go play golf.
I have repaired 3 balance wires on my 2200mah batteries so far this spring.
Also get in the habit of testing your flight packs just before you connect them to the model.
Things will always break, no matter what you pay.
A few simple facts.

I have been flying RC since 1963.
I fly a lot as in more in one year than most fly in many years.
I have numerious aircraft that are always ready to fly.

In all of these years and thousands upon thousands of flights I have never lost an aircraft due to a battery related issue / problem.

If one does parallel charging using the balancing leads only and does not check the balancing leads for each cell before and after each and every charge then it is likely that from time to time a cell or cells will not be charged / balanced.

The pigtails,adapters,gender changers,extensions from Hobby King are made using fair but not great quality wire, some of the soldering is questionable , the striaght pins used in the JST-XH female connectors are extremely easy to have back out on the connector and the leads aften break at the solder joint.

If one is parallel charging with the main power leads connected then the cells still get charged thru them even if that battery does not get balance.

If you are not parallel charging but are balance charging a single LiPoly battery most chargers will indicate a bad balancing leads condition.

Last but not least fact is that E Flite has a habit of using yet another flavor of connector on every new line of Micros they release and to the best of my knowledge HK does not even have the female leads / connectors that match the ones used by E Flite on the 2S powered Micros such as the Beast V1 ,Beast 3D ,Gee Bee and others or for the 1S used for the mcpx.

As I posted earlier I have purchased hundreds of these 5 for $2 leads from HK and they are inexpensive and of fair quality however they do not begin to compare to the quality of the ones used in the parallel charging harness sold by progressive rc IMO.

Charles
Old Apr 18, 2012, 01:56 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2012
1,090 Posts
Quote:
Last but not least fact is that E Flite has a habit of using yet another flavor of connector on every new line of Micros they release and to the best of my knowledge HK does not even have the female leads / connectors that match the ones used by E Flite on the 2S powered Micros such as the Beast V1 ,Beast 3D ,Gee Bee and others or for the 1S used for the mcpx.
I recall from one of those "sit down" HH videos where they said the 2S connector is the same as what's used on their 2S planks like the Beast, etc...
Old Apr 18, 2012, 02:08 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,839 Posts
That would be nice as many of us already have the necessary charging / balancing / parallel setups on hand.

Charles
Old Apr 18, 2012, 02:16 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2012
1,090 Posts
Quote:
That would be nice as many of us already have the necessary charging / balancing / parallel setups on hand.

Charles
Yup. Looks like I have everything except that charge/balance adapter cable.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 07:51 PM
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Feb 2012
4 Posts
I would prefer a cable that takes a standard 6s balance output and "splits" it to 3 2s female plugs.

Would this be possible? That way you could properly charge and balance three batteries at a time and not have to worry about the batteries being in a similar state (IE your charger would see one 6s batter).

Or would it not matter as much and parallel be fine?
GoodOmens is offline Find More Posts by GoodOmens
Old Apr 19, 2012, 08:47 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,839 Posts
In parallel each will will balance the others, in series the charger's balancing circuit has to do all of the balancing and as soon as one cell reaches 4.2 the charge rate is reduced to all of them. There are advantages and disadvantages to both parallel and series charging multi LiPolys.

Charles