HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 17, 2012, 04:02 PM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2008
2,195 Posts
Discussion
My first FVP flight with my DJI F550 hexacopter going out of LOS

I've had about 5 flights trying FPV just hovering around me trying to get used to it.
This morning I did my first flight where I couldn't see it anymore if I had to take the goggles off.
Very scary but WAY COOl.
It's really hard to gauge altitude, I should have my Dragon+v2 all installed tonight and I think that will make it a lot easier to FPV.

I have a Radian Pro that's only flown once, that it might be cool to try FPV on that thing but I'm sure it would be harder. I really like the fact that if I get confused I just let go of the sticks and the hexacopter just hovers.

http://youtu.be/FOg1ILOsZeI
jasper7821 is offline Find More Posts by jasper7821
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 17, 2012, 05:57 PM
Multi rotors=No Paycheck left
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
3,458 Posts
Jasper...what equipment are you using for your FPV?
SDSURFnGLIDE is offline Find More Posts by SDSURFnGLIDE
Old Apr 17, 2012, 06:18 PM
Joined Mar 2008
2,195 Posts
Just a REALLY OLD (5yr) 900-CCTV RX and a 900mhz 800mw TX from Range Video and KX191 camera.
Vuzix 920 goggles that (I REALLY like) with the light shield
The video is form my Contour GPS helmet camera.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 06:28 PM
Joined Feb 2011
1,498 Posts
Awesome, thanks for posting.

I find the hardest thing with a quad is knowing when you are actually hovering and not drifting. In a plane the constant forward motion really helps you to keep oriented. When I try to hover I usually go backwards but since I use a WKM I just let go of the sticks and rely on the gps hold to keep me in one spot.
milo12 is offline Find More Posts by milo12
Old Apr 17, 2012, 06:36 PM
Multi rotors=No Paycheck left
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
3,458 Posts
thanks for posting that...im looking at getting into FPV and using multirotor...i already built a semi large quad(650 size) and just recently put together a bluesky spider quad that i will probably use as my FPV ship...

the FPV equipment i have found to be semi confusing to put together...
SDSURFnGLIDE is offline Find More Posts by SDSURFnGLIDE
Old Apr 17, 2012, 07:07 PM
Joined Mar 2008
2,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by milo12 View Post
Awesome, thanks for posting.

I find the hardest thing with a quad is knowing when you are actually hovering and not drifting. In a plane the constant forward motion really helps you to keep oriented. When I try to hover I usually go backwards but since I use a WKM I just let go of the sticks and rely on the gps hold to keep me in one spot.
I think when I get the OSD going it will help drift when hovering. I'll see how many feet away I am from myself and I'm hoping that will make it easier to stay in one spot while hovering.

While hovering FPV over the windy weekend, I was about 10ft up and just kept getting further and further away. I was getting disoriented so I just lowered the throttle and let it land about 75 feet away from me. I'm hoping I'll be able to control that with the OSD.
Also, I have landing gear on the way and I know that if I have to land and can't see it, it's probably going to tip over when it lands and ruin a few of the Graupners.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 08:26 PM
Member #1
Australia, NSW, Picnic Point
Joined Aug 2011
6,906 Posts
Not really sure an OSD will help with hovering?

Can you see the two front props through your FPV camera? I use these by keeping them level with the horizon just as you would an artificial horizon indicator and I can keep a pretty good hover going with this method.
Teamsherman is offline Find More Posts by Teamsherman
Old Apr 17, 2012, 08:35 PM
Joined Mar 2008
2,195 Posts
I can see the arms and props from the FPV camera view.
I just thought an OSD would help with drifting in the wind.