HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 17, 2012, 01:04 PM
Fly, Crash, Cry...
United States, CA, Placentia
Joined Jun 2007
511 Posts
Discussion
Buried Spitfires Found in Burma

Wow, this should be a great find. Brand new Spitfires still in crates found buried in Burma.

http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/04/17/buried-treasure-world-war-ii-spitfires-to-be-unearthed-in-burma/?hpt=hp_t2
hongrn is offline Find More Posts by hongrn
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 17, 2012, 01:07 PM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,764 Posts
I heard about that the other day! Thanks for the link!
TripleW is offline Find More Posts by TripleW
Old Apr 17, 2012, 01:33 PM
Fly, Crash, Cry...
Joined Jun 2007
511 Posts
From the article, they were shipped in 1945, so we can feast our eyes on the very latest version of this legendary plane. I can't wait to see the exhibit!
Old Apr 17, 2012, 02:21 PM
United States, NJ, Gloucester Township
Joined Jan 2012
136 Posts
Spits.

Cool story!
Buzzcut2239 is offline Find More Posts by Buzzcut2239
Old Apr 17, 2012, 03:25 PM
The sky is my playground.
United States, NH
Joined May 2005
7,752 Posts
Can't wait to see pics.
Dora Nine is offline Find More Posts by Dora Nine
Old Apr 17, 2012, 04:05 PM
Buildings what I enjoy.
Australia, QLD, Witheren
Joined Nov 2007
702 Posts
OMG,
Now thats the best treasure to find. There are rumours around where I live that old surplus aircraft and equipment was also buried under a mountain after WW2. A few people have looked but located nothing so far. One day we too may have a relic found in pristine condition and then be able to be restored to flying condition.
It will be great to see the pictures of these once the crates are opened.

Shane
shanesmadhouse is offline Find More Posts by shanesmadhouse
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Just some of the hanger.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 04:19 PM
Fly, Crash, Cry...
Joined Jun 2007
511 Posts
I sure hope that the Merlin engines are not completely rusted once uncrated. That would be a travesty. Wonder how waterproof these crates are.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 04:26 PM
Joined Dec 2009
1,733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hongrn View Post
I sure hope that the Merlin engines are not completely rusted once uncrated. That would be a travesty. Wonder how waterproof these crates are.
One article I read indicted they were Mk14's, with RR Griffon engines.

... I suspect only time will tell.

Plane Chaos is offline Find More Posts by Plane Chaos
Old Apr 17, 2012, 04:55 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,246 Posts
Sadly based on other 'lost' WW2 aircraft 'finds of the not too distant past .. the story is likely BS or at best only slightly accurate.
Large possibility that IF existant, only the ID plates will be reusable..
But then that is all that separates a freshly recreated Replica from the 'genuine' article :-)
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Apr 17, 2012, 05:04 PM
Fly, Crash, Cry...
Joined Jun 2007
511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare View Post
Sadly based on other 'lost' WW2 aircraft 'finds of the not too distant past .. the story is likely BS or at best only slightly accurate.
But then that is all that separates a freshly recreated Replica from the 'genuine' article :-)
The story was reported by CNN, Time Magazine, and other major news outlets, so I'm more optimistic than you are.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 05:06 PM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
6,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare View Post
What, like Glacier girl?
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Apr 17, 2012, 05:11 PM
Joined Jul 2006
245 Posts
Interesting story. I would think they will be in good shape if they do exist...probably pretty dry though I suppose bugs might have gotten to the wooden parts. The motors should be perfect because they would be coated in oil when assembled.
Big Bad Wulf is online now Find More Posts by Big Bad Wulf
Old Apr 17, 2012, 05:17 PM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
6,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bad Wulf View Post
Interesting story. I would think they will be in good shape if they do exist...probably pretty dry though I suppose bugs might have gotten to the wooden parts. The motors should be perfect because they would be coated in oil when assembled.
Not much wood in a Spitfire. They were all-metal monocoque.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Apr 17, 2012, 05:19 PM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,533 Posts
Latest internet news is that they seemed to be in pretty good shape and a deal has been struck to bring them back to the UK
baldguy is online now Find More Posts by baldguy
Old Apr 17, 2012, 06:47 PM
United Kingdom, England, Dorset
Joined Apr 2010
976 Posts
Well it's a nice idea but a big hole is not the best means of disabling an aeroplane.

If they do exist methinks they will be in a similar shape to the 1957 Plymouth in its nuclear bomb proof shelter in Oklahoma City.
http://telstarlogistics.typepad.com/...ow_its_of.html

It was common to bury surplus stuff after the war from what I've heard; Hethel (Lotus Factory) was rumoured to have a hoard of B24 engines and jeeps buried somewhere on site, and MIRA had trouble with magnetic anomolies due to big lumps of ferrous material buried by the RAF.

"So I've heard". "rumoured".

Quite.

The odd thing is that almost every airfield I've worked at has some "rumour" of piles of buried aircraft/engines/jeeps etc but its even more odd that no one's ever found any of them, anywhere. As this bizarre and labour intensive activity was so "common" there should be hundreds of vets who would remember doing this, yet there are none, scores of photos and other records (because the military are scrupulous record-keepers), yet there are none, and piles of geological evidence all over the world. All of which are unaccountably absent.

The statement that these things are buried 6m deep is the clincher. I simply don't believe it. ANo one - but no one, buries anything except nucler wasye that deep. It is a massive operation. If you want to get rid of or hide something you scrape as shallow as you can get away with, a 6m hole is a major engineering exercise requiring months of labour or weeks with several bulldozers , and one that deep to take 20 crated aircraft would be hald the size of a football pitch. 6m of soil would crush wooden crates flat instantly. I doubt an ISO box would survive that for 60 years. Engines might survive, airframes never.

Now, does anyone have ;

a) Pictures of Spitfires or similar a/c crated with wings packed next to the fuselage in theatre as opposed to on docks or ships? Did that ever happen? Surely the crates would be stripped off at the docks and the load broken down into smaller pieces to ease transport, taken to the nearest airfield and assembled there for delivery in the conventional manner. Were crated aircraft ever delivered to airfields? Any info about crated aircraft in fact. It would be good to know just how common crated transport was.
b) Dimensions and weight of said crated aircraft.
c) Were armament, engines & props included in crated aircraft or boxed seperately? That's going to mak one heck of a heavy crate if its all together.
d) How far from the coast (ie docks) is this burial site?

Wiki says of ground penetrating radar;

"Good penetration is also achieved in dry sandy soils or massive dry materials such as granite, limestone, and concrete where the depth of penetration could be up to 15 m. In moist and/or clay-laden soils and soils with high electrical conductivity, penetration is sometimes only a few centimetres".

They certainly didn't dig 6m into granite or limestone, and dry sandy soil doesn't sound like soggy monsoon ridden Burma.

And finally, why go to such massive effort when a platoon of erks with a few cans of gas could do the same job before tea-break. It just doesn't add up, or even start to.
alibongo is offline Find More Posts by alibongo