HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 17, 2012, 12:07 PM
sensitive artsy type
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,168 Posts
Cool
Solid State Drive

My son was here, and we assembled my new computer. I bought a Crucial 128 gb SSD, and it is remarkable. Lightening fast loading and restart takes seconds, literally, time from off ot everything loaded is about how long it takes me to sit down in my chair, after walking into the room and pushing the start button. My neighbor the software engineer was shocked.

I also found where crucial has made a 30gb drive and software to use the SSD as the cache for your big spin drive, increasing the speed of a spin drive to 60% of an SSD. The spin drive builders are hybridizing spin drives in one package with an SSD to run the cache. Only catch, you must be upgraded to Windows 7 for the crucial interface software to work...

I didn't start out planning on SSD, it was thrust upon me. I was remembering $50 500gb drives, then they had the floods in Thailand and practically all the motors for spin drives were not able to be built, causing a world wide shortage. This shortage doubled the price, which has come down now, and many folks, like me, started seeing SSD as a real alternative. I paid $172 for this drive. It was on sale at Newegg one day for $139 recently, but I clicked on it within an hour of receiving their sale email and they had sold out. Spin drives are now returning to lower prices, but I read that the shortage will not be absorbed until the end of the year.

I researched, Tom's Hardware, and the longevity and reliability of SSDs are widely different and so new to the folks who bank them and store data for a living, there is not a real track record yet. The two most reliable, according to that source and reviews are Crucial and Intel. Some other brands were reported to arrive as a case lot, all of them DOA.

Anyway, just wanted to share. I ain't looking back, this is far superior. The MB is controlling the fan in the big old box we installed this system in, and it is running nice and quiet. I couldn't be more pleased.
Treetop is offline Find More Posts by Treetop
Old Apr 17, 2012, 12:10 PM
Joined Aug 2011
778 Posts
I read an article today about solid state drives and 'always on' computers. Evidently they do not turn off but rather go into sleep mode in order ot expidite the boot process.

But I thought to myself 'always on?' wait till the greenies figure this out!
UlteriorModem is offline Find More Posts by UlteriorModem
Old Apr 17, 2012, 12:13 PM
Registered Broncos Fan!
United States, CO
Joined Sep 2007
688 Posts
Two thoughts here:

1) Win7 kicks ass

2) So do SSDs.
n00b-E is offline Find More Posts by n00b-E
Old Apr 17, 2012, 12:17 PM
Native American
Joined May 2010
429 Posts
Wow I am going to have to ditch XP one day.
BE77 Pilot is online now Find More Posts by BE77 Pilot
Old Apr 17, 2012, 12:19 PM
Joined Aug 2011
778 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BE77 Pilot View Post
Wow I am going to have to ditch XP one day.
Actually M$ recently announced they are no longer going to support XP so it is offically orphaned now.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 12:26 PM
sensitive artsy type
Joined Feb 2004
3,168 Posts
I just downloaded Windows XP that runs on the virtual PC from Microsoft, I think you can only do this with Professional or Ultimate 7, but I did it for one reason, I like the old Spider Solitaire, the new version makes me blind. I like to play a few games before going to bed...

It is a slow download, 500mb, at a really slow feed speed from MS, took 45 minutes and was downloading at 185kb, per second. Got my game though...
Old Apr 17, 2012, 12:27 PM
Joined Aug 2011
778 Posts
Yes only Pro supports the 'virtual xp' dammit!
Old Apr 17, 2012, 12:43 PM
sensitive artsy type
Joined Feb 2004
3,168 Posts
XP was great, especially after our first computer had Windows ME, boy did that suck...

They haven't orphaned XP yet, there are millions of netbooks out there with it on them, and I had to download updates to the virtual PC version of XP after installing it, so they are still updating as of last week.

Anyway, I got an Asus MB with onboard 4250 graphics, full size board $129. 4gb Crucial memory was $20 Fairly modest dual core CPU, AMD, last of the Athlon dual cores, about $60, the SSD, two new optical drives around $17 each, a nice new fan, and a new front panel for the old Silverstone case. The old panel didn't support HD sound on the headphone plug, and it was really dirty, the old box had two loud fans running full blast and the computer was acting as a dust filter, especially the drives, and the USB ports. This was $17. I had bought a power supply a while back it is a 500W Antec, it was $42, and got the OS on sale for $119. Pro 64 bit. I think the S-Flex fan was $15, nice quiet ball bearing, and the plastic is machinable, you can see where the ground on the blade surfaces to balance them.

So I went overbudget, total was around $525. Mostly SSD, went with a higher end MB, and went for the Pro 7. I would have bought the Home 7 64bit, but I missed the sale, Newegg had it for $79 briefly, so when they had pro on sale I ordered it. About $200 more than I had planned, but the old one has been going since 2004, and with much less power, cost $1200 back then, had a nice game card back then though.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 12:52 PM
sensitive artsy type
Joined Feb 2004
3,168 Posts
Anyway what do I do with the old MB, memory, CPU? My son says BestBuy charges $10 to recycle, but gives you a $10 gift certificate.

The build went very smoothly, no problems at all. It was SP1 so updates weren't overwhelming. Fortunately, I made my son build it, all those tiny USB plugs, I sort of helped with the routing and storage of the PS wires, he did the rest.

The coolest thing, I went to install my fairly old copy of Trend Micro, outdated, when I did this on the little Dell I was using in the interim, I had to install an even older copy, it wouldn't run the newer one for some reason, then I had to download the latest version and put my serial number in, it was a long task, on the new one, Windows 7 recognized it as an old version, and actually asked me if I want it to connect to Trend micro and download the latest version, so I didn't have to install two versions, that was a neat trick...
Old Apr 17, 2012, 01:08 PM
Alarm Bells Continuing!
Arizona
Joined Oct 2001
276 Posts
I hope to get an SSD someday. I leave my laptop on 24/7 so bootup isn't a big issue, so I'll probably have to wait for HD failure to make the plunge.

XP has two more years of security support, and then you and the bad people hunting you are on your own! Win7 is terrific.
Big Foot 48 is online now Find More Posts by Big Foot 48
Old Apr 17, 2012, 01:11 PM
Joined Aug 2011
778 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treetop View Post
XP was great, especially after our first computer had Windows ME, boy did that suck...

They haven't orphaned XP yet,.
Well not for another 1,000 days

http://www.techradar.com/news/softwa...978032?src=rss
Old Apr 17, 2012, 01:38 PM
sensitive artsy type
Joined Feb 2004
3,168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Foot 48 View Post
I hope to get an SSD someday. I leave my laptop on 24/7 so bootup isn't a big issue, so I'll probably have to wait for HD failure to make the plunge.

XP has two more years of security support, and then you and the bad people hunting you are on your own! Win7 is terrific.
I have to have an ergonomic keyboard, I got used to it, and when I type on even a normal keyboard, it feels like driving a car with a 5 inch steering wheel.

Funny story, I had a Belkin and my ex brings my son a plate with pancakes and syrup on it, for some reason, holding it right over the keyboard, he was intent on finishing what he was doing, she wanted him to take it from her, and of course, maple syrup in the keys. I put it on the front porch for about a year, I think the ants cleaned it out, as it started working again...

My son's netbook died, or should I say, met with an accident, and he got an ASUS transformer, pretty cool. Puts the Keyboard on when he goes to school, otherwise he has a tablet....
Old Apr 17, 2012, 01:50 PM
Холодная война все еще здесь.
Joined Aug 2003
1,671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UlteriorModem View Post
I read an article today about solid state drives and 'always on' computers. Evidently they do not turn off but rather go into sleep mode in order ot expidite the boot process.

But I thought to myself 'always on?' wait till the greenies figure this out!
Mine is always on. It is easier on the system. Most failures are on restart.
RCWorks is offline Find More Posts by RCWorks
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 17, 2012, 01:59 PM
Radix malorum est cupiditas
Joined Jul 2000
460 Posts
Tree - why mess with Trend or any other AV product when your Win7 gives you access to the MS security suite - which has good reviews and seems to be very transparent.

Just started using a new laptop that has the SSD/HDD hybrid combo for storage - thing boots in 10 sec or so. Purist in me wants to separate the drives with SSD for OS, and HDD for storage, but it seems to work well and the failure modes aren't much different AFAIK
radix2 is offline Find More Posts by radix2
Old Apr 17, 2012, 02:09 PM
Joined Aug 2011
778 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCWorks View Post
Mine is always on. It is easier on the system. Most failures are on restart.
Strangely I have found that many systems here (most xp based) often work better with the occasional re-boot. Even the file server.