SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 17, 2012, 10:12 AM
Joined Sep 2011
127 Posts
Question
Turnigy 9x - Calibrating Throttle With Cheapy Wild Hawk ESC?

All,

I just received my brand new Turnigy 9x in the mail yesterday! I am still a newbie at this, and I've been looking at trying to get it to work with my existing Wild Hawk and the ESC that came with it.

I connected the receiver to the wild hawk, plugged the various servos / ESC, and turned everything on. And, success! Throttle, Ridder, and Elevator all work like a champ. However, there is one small issue that I've noticed, that while not something I can't deal with, it is something that I'd like to straighten out if I can.

The issue is that it appears that the throttle control on it only begins starting when the throttle is at midpoint. That is, when the throttle is from all the way to the bottom to the middle (negative voltage to 0?), it does nothing to the ESC / motor. But once I go above middle to the top, it spins up the motor just fine. I'm not sure if it's spinning the motor up to full speed (I don't have a prop on it just yet). I know that the transmitter works, because I've verified in the menu that the throttle properly shows that it reads all the way from the bottom to the top.

So it seems like it's just something with the ESC that came with the Wild Hawk. Now, as I said, I'm not at all familiar with most of this, as I am a complete newbie with it, and I just jumped from the Wild Hawk non-standard transmitter to the Turnigy 9x, so it's a bit of a learning curve

Am I running into this issue because the ESC that came with the Wild Hawk is older technology (brushed motor)? Or is it something that you may run into somewhat frequently with ESCs? If so, is there a calibration mechanism available on the 9x that would allow me to take the adjust the throttle range, and have it onyl put out the "middle to top" voltage, but instead span it across the entire range of the controller?

Sorry if the question doesn't make sense. I'm not sure how to word it. I'm still learning all the terminology Heck, I just bought a 9-channel transmitter to support a 3-channel plane!

Thanks for the help!
kenzietech is offline Find More Posts by kenzietech
Last edited by kenzietech; Apr 17, 2012 at 11:02 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 17, 2012, 11:05 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,151 Posts
If you can calibrate the throttle setting on the esc first then adjust the throttle on the radio.

Changing sub-trim and trim to get it to start sooner then adjusting travel to ensure you are getting full throttle on the esc.

Just a suggestions to get you started in the right direction to finding the right solution.
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Old Apr 17, 2012, 12:38 PM
Joined Sep 2011
127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
If you can calibrate the throttle setting on the esc first then adjust the throttle on the radio.

Changing sub-trim and trim to get it to start sooner then adjusting travel to ensure you are getting full throttle on the esc.

Just a suggestions to get you started in the right direction to finding the right solution.
Thanks, I'll take a look at that when I get home and have the Tx in front of me again

Random question, but are ALL ESCs supposed to be programmable in one way or another? Or are there some "dumb" ESCs that are stuck the way they are from the factory? I just wondered if I would turn the plane on while the throttle was full up, for example, if that would calibrate it or not.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 12:47 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,151 Posts
Many different esc.

Some require you to arm the throttle every single time.
Some will learn the throttle position the very first time it is powered on
Some you can program by entering programming and moving the throttle stick so the esc learn the stick low and full position
Some require you to enter programming and select default thottle curves.

You need to check esc spec/instructions
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Old Apr 17, 2012, 10:50 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,538 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenzietech View Post
Thanks, I'll take a look at that when I get home and have the Tx in front of me again

Random question, but are ALL ESCs supposed to be programmable in one way or another? Or are there some "dumb" ESCs that are stuck the way they are from the factory? I just wondered if I would turn the plane on while the throttle was full up, for example, if that would calibrate it or not.
Many recent ones have auto-calibration. They require that you turn on with the throttle at maximum, wait for a tone and then bring throttle down to idle. They learn that as the throttle signal range and retain it till you again turn on with the throttle at high.

Auto-calibration is usually distinguished from the programming of such parameters as brake on/off, type of battery, how LVC works, timing, soft start, etc.

Some ESCs are fully programmable with a card or using the transmitter (going through a fairly confusing sequence of throttle stick movements). Most programmable ESCs come with default settings that work fine for most fixed wing models.

ESCs that lack autocalibration may require you to set throttle trim down to get a low enough signal to arm the ESC.
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Apr 18, 2012, 10:36 AM
Joined Sep 2011
127 Posts
I spent some time dinking with this last night, and couldn't get anywhere with it It seemed that even if I had the Tx on full throttle, and then turned on the plane, the motor immediately spun up to full speed. There didn't appear to be any calibrating done, or able. I think the ESC is just a simple, "dumb" ESC without any changes necessary.

This brings to question (and exposing my lack of knowledge) how exactly the transmitter / receiver normally works. When the throttle is below half, what is the corresponding voltage that's normally output from the receiver to the servo (motor)? I'm just wondering how the throttle on the new transmitter differs from the slider-type throttle that the wild hawk transmitter worked. I verified that the top of the throttle did enable the motor to run at full speed (equal to what it was spinning with the original transmitter / receiver). It just doesn't want to do anything below half throttle on the stick, causing the throttle curve to be essentially twice as "steep" as it should be.

If I can't make the ESC work, is there much of a way to adjust the throttle trim on the 9x? I messed with it by adjusting the trim as far as it would go, and a "subtrim" menu item I found as far as it would go. However, neither adjustment seemed to make any bit of difference.

If I can't fix this, I'll make due, as it's not a huge deal, and flying the Wild Hawk doesn't require too much throttle management (full throttle to climb, zero throttle to coast!). But it would just be nice to be able to make it work a bit better

Thanks!
Old Apr 18, 2012, 07:07 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,538 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenzietech View Post
I spent some time dinking with this last night, and couldn't get anywhere with it It seemed that even if I had the Tx on full throttle, and then turned on the plane, the motor immediately spun up to full speed. There didn't appear to be any calibrating done, or able. I think the ESC is just a simple, "dumb" ESC without any changes necessary.

This brings to question (and exposing my lack of knowledge) how exactly the transmitter / receiver normally works. When the throttle is below half, what is the corresponding voltage that's normally output from the receiver to the servo (motor)? I'm just wondering how the throttle on the new transmitter differs from the slider-type throttle that the wild hawk transmitter worked. I verified that the top of the throttle did enable the motor to run at full speed (equal to what it was spinning with the original transmitter / receiver). It just doesn't want to do anything below half throttle on the stick, causing the throttle curve to be essentially twice as "steep" as it should be.

If I can't make the ESC work, is there much of a way to adjust the throttle trim on the 9x? I messed with it by adjusting the trim as far as it would go, and a "subtrim" menu item I found as far as it would go. However, neither adjustment seemed to make any bit of difference.

If I can't fix this, I'll make due, as it's not a huge deal, and flying the Wild Hawk doesn't require too much throttle management (full throttle to climb, zero throttle to coast!). But it would just be nice to be able to make it work a bit better

Thanks!
Sorry. I didn't read your original post carefully enough. What I said about ESCs was true but doesn't apply to older brushed power systems.

I think you are stuck with an oddball ESC that only turns on when the signal gets to about 50%.

What you should do, though, is to check what the transmitter is doing. Go to the display screen and find out what happens to the signal as you advance throttle to the point where the ESC turns on. This will verify that the Tx is doing its job. Then you should be able to use end point adjust to set the throttle signal range so the ESC turns on close to the bottom of he stick range.

I hope this helps. If you have programming problems, I can fire up my spare 9x transmitter, which still has the stock firmware (I use ER9x firmware normally).
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Last edited by Daedalus66; Apr 18, 2012 at 07:16 PM.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 02:07 PM
Joined Sep 2011
127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
Sorry. I didn't read your original post carefully enough. What I said about ESCs was true but doesn't apply to older brushed power systems.

I think you are stuck with an oddball ESC that only turns on when the signal gets to about 50%.

What you should do, though, is to check what the transmitter is doing. Go to the display screen and find out what happens to the signal as you advance throttle to the point where the ESC turns on. This will verify that the Tx is doing its job. Then you should be able to use end point adjust to set the throttle signal range so the ESC turns on close to the bottom of he stick range.

I hope this helps. If you have programming problems, I can fire up my spare 9x transmitter, which still has the stock firmware (I use ER9x firmware normally).
I checked the transmitter, and was able to verify that the throttle was working under the full range of the transmitter. It was just that the ESC only detects and picks up on it after the midpoint. No big deal, as I took it out flying and was able to manage it just fine. (The Wild Hawk is pretty easy, and doesn't need much throttle management. Give it full throttle, take off and climb to altitude. Let off and glide to the ground with no throttle. Or give it half throttle to maintain altitude. )

I verified that it was working in the menus somewhere (I don't remember where, though) where it showed a bar that shaded based on what position the sticks were at. I also tested it out by plugging it into a 3.5mm stereo cable, plugging it into my computer, and testing it out with the FMS simulator. I was able to see full movement on there as well.

So thankfully, the transmitter is good. I just have to deal with a much narrower throttle range with which to control the plane. No biggy