Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 23, 2012, 03:17 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,958 Posts
I still need to go back and read this thread. Briefly scanned this page earlier. Can always learn from other peoples observations and experiences. Didnt make the thread to debate the value of an Orange Rx receiver. But if people wanna talk about it go right ahead.

I am curious why the plane dropped outta the sky like a poor dead birdie. Happy it didnt explode. Lots of personal meaning to that plane. It was my first ever build. Learned a lot while doing it.
wopachop is offline Find More Posts by wopachop
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 23, 2012, 03:36 PM
Zombie flyer....
United Kingdom, Huddersfield
Joined Mar 2010
137 Posts
I think my worst ever was my Parkzone BF109....and it was all my fault!
New plane, put together, range checked, everything working.......
Launch, up and away... trimmed out, flying beautifully.....then the prop fell off at full speed with nose cone and prop adapter......Oh lord......in full techicolour slow motion it nosed up, ( tail heavy, as the prop adapter, prop and bits weigh quite a lot, and balance the cg...) tip stalled, and ploughed in. Crruuunnnccchhh..... seemed to go on forever. Nose,wing all bent to bits, chunks out of the airframe.
I'd forgotten to tighten the prop adapter. Never again though! ( till the next time anyway!)
toffa is offline Find More Posts by toffa
Old Apr 23, 2012, 03:48 PM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
3,996 Posts
Just last week I changed prop size on a plane to try for more vert. Flew once, just OK. New battery and as I went to take off, something sounded funny. Yep, loose prop. Don't know why or how, but it was loose. I nearly had what toffa had. Only luck and lucky timing saved me the same fate.
I had forgotten to tighten an aileron connector on a MUS, the mechanical kind not electrical, and when the rod started slipping, the plane did not respond. So, I crashed much like QuadManiac did. EXCEPT mine hit hard ground.
Don
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
Old Apr 23, 2012, 03:52 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,958 Posts
where you ride mostly quadmaniac?
wopachop is offline Find More Posts by wopachop
Old Apr 23, 2012, 05:21 PM
Mile High Pilot
USA, CO, Longmont
Joined Jun 2010
1,175 Posts
Heh heh... Last spring, on a beautiful Colorado morning, I grabbed my PZ Stinson to go out before the wind came up. I had been up until 2:00AM doing the old "once over" - open it up, check all the connections, reseat the ESC (which comes loose all the time), and the mechanically re-trim all the control surfaces.

I was so happy... it was flying better than it EVER had. No trim required, was tracking like it was on rails, life was good. A couple of nice circuits of the field and I was grinning like a schoolboy on Christmas morning. I throttled up as I came across mid field, and pulled up in to a nice big loop, then at the bottom I pulled up and started an aileron roll and
SNAP.
The wings folded up like a cheap suit. The fuselage, motor still running wide open slammed into the ground like a scud missile, and I watched for what seemed like an eternity as the wings fluttered to the ground.

The only possible response that would not result in instant insanity was to laugh. A lot. I had forgotten to put the pins back in the wing struts.

The fuse was a mess. I considered tossing the whole wreck in the trashcan when I got home, but after $31 of parts, and a bunch of Gorilla Glue, it still flies, really well in fact.

I nominated, and awarded myself the moron of the month trophy (a cold beer).

Fast forward... yesterday at the club I was flying my T-28 with a Power10 mounted up. Coming across the field for a high speed pass, I was flying straight and level (and WOT), and suddenly it jerked almost to a vertical upline, and did "a dance" - and my thumbs never moved. I managed to save it, and brought it down immediately. The RX light (a 6200 that I put in to replace the AR500) was flashing. I THINK that means power loss... but Im not sure, but I sure hope it doesnt happen again. Ultimately flew 4 more times without incident.

jc
milehighjc is offline Find More Posts by milehighjc
Old Apr 24, 2012, 01:44 AM
London UK
Joined Jul 2004
2,530 Posts
A long time ago I experienced that time stands still feeling, flying an IC 60 size pattern plane over a valley, straight and level into a loop except it did not fly out of the loop, just watched it loop itself into the ground eventually after about 15 loops.
Threshold is offline Find More Posts by Threshold
Old Apr 24, 2012, 10:28 AM
CA...gimme the CA...
United States, GA, Savannah
Joined Jun 2005
493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threshold View Post
A long time ago I experienced that time stands still feeling, flying an IC 60 size pattern plane over a valley, straight and level into a loop except it did not fly out of the loop, just watched it loop itself into the ground eventually after about 15 loops.
One friend had a scale P-40, at least $1000 in it, and on the maiden he had the same thing happen. Started a loop and never came out of it, everyone at the field just watched it continue to loop. It never came down that we saw, it just kept looping until it was outta site.

He was bummed of course.
whowhatwhere is offline Find More Posts by whowhatwhere
Old Apr 24, 2012, 11:23 AM
Mile High Pilot
USA, CO, Longmont
Joined Jun 2010
1,175 Posts
Talk about an ETERNITY. That would be unbelievable and frustrating to watch.
milehighjc is offline Find More Posts by milehighjc
Old Apr 24, 2012, 03:12 PM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
3,996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whowhatwhere View Post
One friend had a scale P-40, at least $1000 in it, and on the maiden he had the same thing happen. Started a loop and never came out of it, everyone at the field just watched it continue to loop. It never came down that we saw, it just kept looping until it was outta site.

He was bummed of course.
I see stories like this every now and then, and I've always wanted to ask: does no one give chase?
Don
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
Old Apr 24, 2012, 03:18 PM
Eugene, Oregon
Joined Apr 2009
1,978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by toffa View Post
Never used one since, but the AR600's I have seem to work fine, as do the parkfly RX's (Ar6100's?)
One plane lost in many, many flights.....I can live with that!
had my first flyaway two days ago with an ar6400 Brushless brick mod - Im still recovering from my loss
elvill is offline Find More Posts by elvill
Old Apr 24, 2012, 03:49 PM
ex-noob
Sammamish, WA, USA
Joined Jan 2010
2,363 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrhardy View Post
I see stories like this every now and then, and I've always wanted to ask: does no one give chase?
Don
"Follow that looper!"
Lardog is online now Find More Posts by Lardog
Old Apr 25, 2012, 08:09 AM
CA...gimme the CA...
United States, GA, Savannah
Joined Jun 2005
493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrhardy View Post
Don
Well, in this case it was impossible. Our field here is surrounded entirely by fairly large wooded areas, making any kind of chase extremely difficult. If you go down in the woods you can walk through and search, but this plane never came down.

Plus, it headed for the interstate (approx 2.5mi north), and would've crossed it as it progressed. Double difficult to cross over an interstate unless you have an exit to utilize, and it's against the law here for pedestrians to even be on the interstate.

No chance to follow it...but he did give it his best shot. Speaking of "best shot"...the police shooting range is nearby, northwest of the field...he avoided that particular area!
whowhatwhere is offline Find More Posts by whowhatwhere
Old Apr 25, 2012, 08:37 AM
It must have a machinegun
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Sep 2004
1,267 Posts
My best ever scratch built scale plane suffered either a radio issue or a control linkage issue and I couldn't turn it around. The wind carried it away until it was a speck. I chopped the throttle and watched the speck glide down into the suburbs. I never found it. It still brings a tear to my eye now.

I've got to call my therapist now.
Scaledown is online now Find More Posts by Scaledown
Old Apr 25, 2012, 09:05 AM
United States, NC, Durham
Joined Jun 2010
483 Posts
Well, last week, I watched my p51-d mustang die....sort of. I had been flying at a particular field all day with a different plane....just to get used to the place (first time flying there). Well, on the far left (about 500 feet away) there is a HUGE cedar tree. All day long with my other plane I would go behind that tree, and come out the other side so I could do a flyby for the crowd. It was a boy scout thing and I had 100 people or so watching me. (30 at a given time). Well, all the boys wanted to see the mustang fly so I got it ready and gave her a chuck. To say the least, the mustang is a LOT more responsive than my previous (AXN floater) and I guess I forgot this. I flew down the field to prepare for a nice low fast pass...you know, for the crowd. Well, I rolled too far behind the tree because it never came back out the other side. So I took a guess at her direction and guess wrong. She came back out the side she entered in, did a loop and nosed in at 60mph inverted. It looked and sounded awful. It even took 4 boys to bring the wreckage back! I think the mustang was in the air for MAYBE 30 seconds...haha.

Shockingly, the damage ain't all that bad....at least for what happened. (I attest that to the wet ground, thick grass, and a strategically rebuilt motor mount) She will fly again! I did continue flying the AXN floater... i think I logged 5 hours that day! They boys had a blast as well because I had a buddy box set up with me.
mamba max1 is offline Find More Posts by mamba max1
Last edited by mamba max1; Apr 25, 2012 at 09:10 AM.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 04:39 PM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
United States, TN, Oak Ridge
Joined Dec 2011
3,801 Posts
When I first started building foamies i tried what many say to do with gorilla glue hinges... I spent a few hours throwing together a cub style plane and waited for everything to dry.

Later when I went to fly it was great! I took it about 4-5 mistakes high and started some acrobatic moves, some rolls, loops, inverted... it was great!

After throwing it into a roll and then reversing the roll i saw something come off, the plane leveled itself and flew normal so i took it easy and started to bring the plane down just gliding and rudder... a few seconds later a piece of foam fell in the yard with a control horn sticking out, then another right after... and one more... i was wondering what they were until the plane got close and i saw that the elevator, and ailerons were missing...

The apparently tore off and decided they wanted to not fly any more. Luckily the plane somehow kept its balance until i came in to land, not being able to compensate for ground effects it floated for a second and then went straight into the ground...

The best part of the wreck... The servos, motor, esc, receiver, and battery came out of the plane on impact so I didn't have to waste time tearing it apart to build a new one!

I don't use gorilla glue hinges any more...
chanyote66 is online now Find More Posts by chanyote66
RCG Plus Member