HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 17, 2012, 08:07 AM
Joined Apr 2012
2 Posts
Discussion
Onboard iOS (iPod/iPhone) controlled quad blade copter

Hi,

I apologise if his old news or has been posted here before. I had a look and didn't see anything.

I have been looking online for the last 4 hours for an answer. You can probably tell I'm new to the engineering side of this. I am an iOS developer and wanted to build a 4 blade drone, similar to the ar.drone the only difference is I want to have the iOS device onboard so I can develop an app that will control the drone semi-automatically.

So what I need is something that I can use to control the speed of the 4 blades I have seen plenty of ESCs but none that I can connect to an iOS device. Can anyone point me in the direction of something I can control an ESC with from say, an iPhone?

Obviously, safety will be my first priority with this... Especially because of my newness!

Thanks in advance for any help or tips
Spacerevolver is offline Find More Posts by Spacerevolver
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 17, 2012, 09:22 AM
Tucson
Joined Nov 2009
1,007 Posts
I haven't seen anything along that line, although I have thought about it.

One thing to be careful with... those in this hobby are very careful with the guidelines laid down by the FAA. To fly a "UAV" you must be able to take control (with your radio) at any time. I don't think that speed dialing meets this requirement.

You might be able to use the programming language of the device to run an autopilot, etc, which would be very interesting. But fully autonomous flight or time delay human intervention is outside the guidelines of what is allowed, by my understanding.

Do you know that you can get a Linux chip for about $25?
wuest3141 is offline Find More Posts by wuest3141
Old Apr 17, 2012, 10:37 AM
Joined Apr 2012
2 Posts
Thanks for your help, I could maybe use ruby if I could get Linux on it. I was hoping to take advantage of the gyro and compass on the iPhone to save having to do all that manually.

I am in Northern Ireland so I'm not limited by the FAA rules but you have a point, I should look into the rules around having such a device flying around without 100% direct control all the time.
Spacerevolver is offline Find More Posts by Spacerevolver