Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by argo-2, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 08:37 PM
Sometimes it work some don't
Émirats arabes unis, Ras el Khaïmah, Ras Al-Khaimah
Joined Oct 2010
944 Posts
Nice job, looking forward for further progress!
RCSquale is offline Find More Posts by RCSquale
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The Sparrow
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 29, 2012, 05:51 AM
Maiden>Confident>Cocky>Crash!
New Zealand
Joined Feb 2010
558 Posts
More build log added.

Please see here for more build progress...http://www.parkflyers.org.nz/modules...C&type=&mode=0
argo-2 is offline Find More Posts by argo-2
Old May 07, 2012, 06:01 AM
New Zealand
Joined Feb 2010
558 Posts
Progress and experimentation.

Progress:

1/ Polycarbonate end-caps cut out, place over wing-root (taped) and then sanded to shape.

2/ Needle-marker made form music-wire to find joiner centres in end-caps.

3/ Joiner centres marked and drilled out.

Experimentation to test Coro hinging, torque-rod and flex over aileron length.

1/ Found when using torque-rod (rather than horn) and hinging using Coro itself as a hinge, not so nice movement. This is because the hinge line is not central to rotation of torque-rod. The torque-rod has to twist as aileron moves. So I tried some plastic hinges I had lying around - they worked great and are easy to insert into the Coro. Just needed to make a hole in side of the Coro and push the hinge in - very easy. This also meant the hinge line is now central to the torque-rod rotation.

2/ Using some aluminium tube I made slider for the torque-rod end to slide in. This worked well.

3/ Tested this setup and it was very smooth.

4/ Made a jig to see how much twist there was when torquing the Coro aileron from one end. The Coro resisted twisting very well. I made a short video to demonstrate...

Coroplast/Corex aileron twist test. (0 min 17 sec)
Old May 08, 2012, 05:02 AM
New Zealand
Joined Feb 2010
558 Posts
Wing roots almost ready.

Drilled out weight reducing holes in the polycarb wing roots tonight. Used a step-bit & ceiling light/fan cutting tool cut ground down to make a sharp cutting edge, works great. Photos below of prepared wing roots and cutting tools used.
Last edited by argo-2; May 08, 2012 at 05:58 AM.
Old May 09, 2012, 05:18 AM
New Zealand
Joined Feb 2010
558 Posts
Aluminium wing joiner tubes glued into struts.

Not much to see. Aluminium tubes glued into wings. I glued these with 3M 90, spraying/smearing it onto the tubes, then spraying down into strut holes. Then with the music wire in the alum tube for strength, I pushed the tube into the strut holes quickly. The music-wire was then extracted.

Here's a photo with the caps sitting over the tubes and in the wings. Not glued yet.
Old May 13, 2012, 03:24 AM
New Zealand
Joined Feb 2010
558 Posts
Wing joiner testing & polycarbonate root-cap glued.

Thought I would jig up a test rig for the wing joiners. As always photos tell the best story. There was some bending but nothing to worry about. I'm going to fix the wings into the fus via a hex screw and landing gear collar. Idea is slide the wings in and then cinch the middle joiner via an Allen key through a small hole in the fus.

Also glued on both Coro root-caps and one polycarb root-cap.