Nice lookin' fuse.
Boogie_ is offline Find More Posts by Boogie_
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 14, 2012, 10:52 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,609 Posts
great job .....mabe you can bend those ears flat or cut them off ???
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Jul 15, 2012, 01:15 AM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,153 Posts
Thanks Rodger, I take that as a great compliment coming from you.

Here's what I came up with to modify the steering, so I can have it rotate the 90* on retraction. I know the info is in the " Jet Hangar Hobbies (JHH) F-86 Sabre Build" some where. Would like to know how the cam was set up?

Just build a new steering unit, just need a 3/16" collar- wheel collars are too small on the OD. Make a "T" shaped steering bar and (not sure on this part) silver solder it on. All it does is make it about 8mm deeper, and I have the room.

Better ideas are most welcome!
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Jul 15, 2012, 02:25 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,609 Posts
the trip or cam was in the plywood nose gear mount ,when the strut retracts the streering arm just runs into the plywood,and turns the strut.i posted a pic in the venom f-86 thread ,i did the same thing with that too.i think we used to start with the steering arm way off of center ,as we had the steering servo off to one side on the fuse.so we set up the steering wires to come to the nose at an angle .you might not need that extension.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 02:51 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,609 Posts
ok see post #246 and #296 #296 (in the venom F-86 thread)is my post .between the two you should be able to figure it out .if i was you i would mount the NG steering servo on the side of the fuse like it was done on the JHH F-86.we passed the stering wires through a loop of piano wire mounted on a small square of ply ,this allows the cables to come to the NG at an angle.sorta like it does on my venom .only the JHH servo was further back up on the side of the fuse.hope this helps.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 04:02 AM
Joined Dec 2008
5,153 Posts
Thanks AS. A picture is truly worth a 1000 words.

Now here's a new wrinkle. Stuart, from down New Zeland way, says his retract unit from lower intake lip to strut in down position is about 5". (Sent you PM on this). If thats the case I may exchange mine for the 540RS. It would fit and less hassel.
Last edited by CoolerByTheLake; Jul 15, 2012 at 04:15 AM.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 12:07 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,609 Posts
im going to visit my fury tonite ,hopefully i'll remember and get a measurement for you .....maybe 5" is right
Old Jul 17, 2012, 12:14 AM
Joined Dec 2008
5,153 Posts
That would be great. Nice to know once and for all.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 12:40 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,609 Posts
the fan location on your PDF looks ok ,i would make the rails longer fwd and aft so you can move it around for c/g so wait on the inlet duct untill your sure it will balance with your batts .your using a 90 mm fan so it's pretty light compared to the 12s batts your going to use.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 12:58 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,153 Posts
Thanks, Just wasn't sure about accuracy of the drawing. I will work with the given thrust line, too.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 09:43 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,153 Posts
I guess it's about time for the weekly check in. Got it all seamed back together, joints filled, sanded and reprimered. A few pin holes to fix, but that can wait till later. Re-worked the intake, and wouldn't you know when I glued it in it's a touch off. I left the portion of the intake a little longer than needed, so I can just trim it back some. Minor and fixable.

With the size of this there is just tons of room. Have a mail tube that fits over intake, and checked for gear clearence, won't even need to flatten intake when gear and wheel is retracted! Still have to put in the CF for nose gear mount, and on sides, between hatch and top of wing. with the large hatch, and the belly cut out for a one piece wing I wanted extra strenght on fuse sides.

I figured out my nose gear delema, will keep the one I originay bought, just needed to make a new steering arm. Should work just fine. Betweem AIR SALLY and Rainer from E-JETS, I have the correct measurements for cutting out the gear doors and retract unit placement, and proper strut length. Thank You guys!

Lots of dink work now! Frame in hatch, figure out where formers/bulkheads
need to be, etc. One side benefit from using templates to cut out sections is much easier to get real close for bulkhead sizes.
That's about it for now, Mark
Last edited by CoolerByTheLake; Jul 28, 2012 at 09:31 PM.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 11:24 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,609 Posts
getting there much more enjoyable work now ...sanding get old
Old Jul 22, 2012, 11:51 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,153 Posts
You are 100% right . The next sanding I will do, is when it's ready for paint. that will be awhile, I'm afraid. Time to re-group my work area, it needs a cleaning!

Time to put away one group of tools and line up th next ones needed. My work area is really small, and everything has it's place---boxes!

" much more enjoyable work now!" With the execption of the CF going in, phase one is done. Phase 2 will be more on the lay-out side of it. What goes where, and how.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 05:52 AM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Very nice looking work there Mark! Been watching your build here, making great progress! w.
Waltjg is offline Find More Posts by Waltjg
Old Jul 24, 2012, 03:33 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,153 Posts
Thanks Walt. I tried to keep the fuse to a scale size and shape. I have noticed that most of "kits' out there, SkyMaster, BVM, JHH all have over-sized exhaust outlets, and the intakes, for the most part are not scale either. For instance my exhaust outlet is 3 3/8", Rainer (E-Jets) says best dia. for the 90mm JetFan is 75/76mm 2.95/2.99, can't get much closer to scale outlet than that!

Waiting on an order for nose gear strut, wheel, a few misc parts before I start doing any cutting on gear doors. Measure, check, re-measure before I put a saw to the fuse. Only one chance to get it right.

Now here's something I could use some input on. Wing Airfoil. I have 4-5 in consideration, but these two are proven performers. Starfire and the BVM, when I over lay them they are almost the same. Excuse my ignorance her, but on the Starfire airfoil, is that considered reflex? Check pic of the F-86 flaps.

Back to measuring. For now, all my tools are rulers, squares, protractor and a calculator.