SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 04, 2012, 03:24 AM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,977 Posts
For those who stop by from time to time, here's where I'm at. Plug had been sanded, body filler where needed. Just needs a light sanding, and when I get my new scale, final coat of resin on plug. AHHH , more sanding!
Currently t looks like it has chicken pox!

Did run into a major issue. I had used some MH Ready Patch in some places, before I put on the sheet rock mud. Not a problem, until I glassed the fuse. In all the places the ready patch was, the resin reacted some how with it, and it got all spongy. More work, cut out all soft areas, fill with body filler, and recontour. PITA! But it's done. One last thing I want to do is glue in a piece of mylar into intake, and feather out some filler, so I have a nice 31/2" tailpiece for the intake tube to hook up with. Next time I hope to have a pic of finished plug, ready to glass.
Mark
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 10, 2012, 01:57 AM
Joined Dec 2008
5,977 Posts
Photos arn't to good, try to get better ones later.

Well, I deceided to leave well enough alone, and went to primer. I was just getting so tired of looking at it, multi-colors of putty, it was hard to tell if I was doing any good. It will pass the looking test, lines are nice, but doesn't quite pass the feel test It's as close as it's ever going to get. A couple of dings to fix, and tomorrow I will give it a coat of resin.

Before I lay the glass for the fuse, I will make a mold of the canopy section, and the tail fairing. Will make a plaster cast of canopy so I can pull my own, and the tail section will be used to pre-build what ever I need to mount stabs, and set up linkage. Mark
Last edited by CoolerByTheLake; Jun 10, 2012 at 09:07 AM.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 02:39 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,257 Posts
looking very nice ..fast work that would have taken me 6 months
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Jun 10, 2012, 03:10 AM
Joined Dec 2008
5,977 Posts
Thanks Rodger, that means a lot from a Sabre jock, like yourself. As far as time goes, seems like forever. Got bit by the Sabre bug around March 1st, while looking at mrshea's f-86 build. Spent about 6+ weeks doing research, and plans, wasn't till April 17th I started this thread. Have a long, long way to go. Plenty of time, and little cash!
Last edited by CoolerByTheLake; Jun 10, 2012 at 07:30 AM.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 06:11 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,762 Posts
Mark, that looks great. It is much nicer than my plug and will work just great with the "reverse" laying up method since all the finish will be done after laying on the glass. Good luck with it.

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old Jun 10, 2012, 08:50 AM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,492 Posts
Looks great Mark! Logged in.
Knife Liddle is offline Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 11, 2012, 01:02 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,814 Posts
looking pretty good!!
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Jun 11, 2012, 01:19 AM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,492 Posts
So, you aren`t going to make a female mould? You aren`t going to melt that plug are you?

I`ve got a suggestion. After you get your fuselage laid up on top the way you want it, while the glass is still a little green, slice the bottom of the fuselage, start at the nose and cut back maybe 2/3rds of the way or 3/4th of the way to the tail. Then I`ll bet you could work the plug out of the shell.

That way the plug can survive and you can lay one up for me.Think about it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 11, 2012, 04:20 AM
Joined Dec 2008
5,977 Posts
Lee, you will be saddend to know that, when the time comes to pull finished fuse off the plug, it will be in 4 pieces. I have consulted with experts on this, and one lets it cure some on the plug, and majority of body work is done while still on the plug, over lap joints and the like.

Four pieces you say! First hatch area, need to figure out a couple of things for length, first. Second, nose cone. Cut back several inches, leaving about 4" up to front of hatch cut out for seam tape. With nose removed, inside lip for intake tube can be trimmed, and template can be made for nice fit. Third, fuse halves. Cut down center line, top and bottom, aft to tail fairing. I expect this area to be the most difficult to remove. In my research, I have seen a clever way to maintain alignment, and proper spacing to allow for the width of the cut. Now, just epoxy seams. The only damage to plug will be where cuts are made, and those can be epoxied over, sanded, rewaxed, and ready to pull another fuse.

As mentioned in previous post, prior to pull a finished plug, I will make 2 molds on the plug. One over canopy area, to use in making plaster cast, for pulling my own canopy. 2nd, over tail fairing. This will be used to pre-build whatever structure needed for stabs and working out linkage set-up. I had seen in Chris True's build "BVM Sabre" how little room there is to work with.

With reguards to the hatch. While laying up fuse, I will embed carbon tow in the area where canopy frame is, and around perimeter of hatch, for added strenght, and stiffness. This will be needed as all but the frame work of canopy is removed, so canopy can be glued in from below. That's the game plan.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 07:20 AM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,492 Posts
Oh, well, now I'm really pissed. LOL
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 11, 2012, 09:17 AM
Joined Dec 2008
5,977 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knife Liddle View Post
So, you aren`t going to make a female mould? You aren`t going to melt that plug are you?

I`ve got a suggestion. After you get your fuselage laid up on top the way you want it, while the glass is still a little green, slice the bottom of the fuselage, start at the nose and cut back maybe 2/3rds of the way or 3/4th of the way to the tail. Then I`ll bet you could work the plug out of the shell.

That way the plug can survive and you can lay one up for me.Think about it.
Lee, in your "I`ve got a suggestion." paragraph, you would think, I'm peeling a banana! Although, from the right viewing angle, more like a cigar. I have no illussion about the difficulty, just because I havn't done it before, doesn't mean I can't. I am lucky in that, I can look at a picture/drawing, run some numbers, and just build it. Piece of cake!

Female mold--I'll pass. MY male mold will give as many copies as I need, more than the 2-3, some people suggest.
I would guess many have read invertmast's F-14 project, or Tumblers Blaze/Bullet threads. If it was cheap and easy to do, more would. You get some relative noob, that says he's going to make a mold and sell them, he doesn't have a clue.
Lost Foam Method, everytime I read about it, I smile. All one has to do is read John Morgans-Ultimate F-86 Build to understand. A fellow had joined in with John, and started building his own. He choose the lost foam way. Like they say, A picture is worth a thousand words. Nuff said.

All kidding aside, my PM box has been pretty busy as of late. I have got info from, New Zealand, Norway, Austria, hell even New Jersey. Sorry Brian.
The guys here on RCG are some of the finest. No one knows everything, and you would be surprised how far a polite PM will go on your quest for that info you need. Many thanks to those who have helped out so far. Mark
Old Jun 11, 2012, 09:33 AM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,492 Posts
Well you are going strong. I'm logged on now so I'll be bugging you for my fuselage from time to time.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 11, 2012, 09:46 AM
Joined Dec 2008
5,977 Posts
So is this where I take my que from Brian's (Tumblers-Molding the Blaze) thread, and say " You will be first on the list if I decide to sell them" HeHeHe
Old Jun 13, 2012, 10:20 AM
SidGates
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Feb 2006
156 Posts
CoolerByTheLake
I just found this forum this morning but would like to suggest that a female mold doesn't have to be expensive. Take a look at my project for light weight mold construction ideas.

http://www.sidgates.us/HOBBIES/F-94C/F94C%20PROJECT.htm

Sid Gates
sidgates50 is offline Find More Posts by sidgates50
Old Jun 18, 2012, 04:11 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,977 Posts
It's been about a week since any update, and not to much to show for a weeks worth of work. More like one step forward and 2 steps back! I recall saying "leave well enough alone" before I had primered.

Well, after I had primered the plug, it appeared to look great. but after some eyeballing, and the dreaded fingertip smoothness test, it just wouldn't pass my muster. So it was back to sand, fill, repeat untill I was satisfied.

Now it looks like it did 2 weeks ago! It's baby butt smooth now, and ready for a coat of resin, then final sanding. The only thing I didn't detail like it should have been, is the end of the tail fairing. My concern here was, in seaming the two halves back togetther, after it was off the plug. Not to much room to work with way back there! If I make another one, I can add it in later.

Got my JetFan 90 on Sat. Sweet looking fan. Just need to get the nose gear retract, so once fuse is pulled, I can work out the intake, fan placement, etc. That will take care of the project money, so things will be slow for some time. But, with those in place, I can move forward. Mark