HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 16, 2012, 07:15 PM
I make bad look so good.
League City, Texas
Joined Sep 2006
2,559 Posts
Before you finalize your choice of airfoils one thing you have to decide is are you planning on putting retracts on this plane? If so then you need to make sure your final airfoil is thick enough to fit the retracts. The JHH F-86 for instance is somewhat limited on which retracts fit the airfoil.
SteveC68 is offline Find More Posts by SteveC68
to remove ads between posts
Old May 17, 2012, 12:03 AM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,977 Posts
SteveC68, either one will be more than thick enough. Root cord will be right around 440mm/17.32" WS 64". My plan for retracts is to use Robart Low Profile 530RS mains and 540RS nose gear.
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old May 22, 2012, 06:41 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,257 Posts
hows it coming ?
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old May 23, 2012, 12:14 AM
Joined Dec 2008
5,977 Posts
Hi, AS, thanks for dropping by. Progress is coming OK. I guess I'm just too damn picky. My dad used to call me a perfectionist, but I"m not sure about that. The brilliant idea of cutting templates wasn't all bad, but IFc every single piece is not perfectly square, and cut at 90* , it makes for a lot more work. Got canopy caved and sanded, fuse needs just a touch more finesse, and with any luck, I hope to glass it this weekend.

Lots of pressure here to get it just right. I have some pretty big critics out there, John, C/N and yourself.

I'm sure you recall John's Ultimate F-86 build, the poor fellow who was building along with john was having some "problems" with his plug, and althought mine is know where like his, I wanted it to LOOK GOOD. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=376
Stay tuned, it won't be long. Mark
Old May 27, 2012, 08:46 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,977 Posts
The time has come! I'm satisfied enought with the plug so far, to feel good about putting up some pics. Keep in mind, I'm am not a photographer!!

Still needs a few tweeks,but they will be done tonight and glassed, BECAUSE, I'm damn tired of every time I turn around, theres another "ding" in it!!!

Must say John's thread on his ULTIMATE F-86 was helpful. I am going to deviate some from his method, in that he just epoxyed over the plastered fuse, I will glass mine first, fix imperfections, then final coat of epoxy. Up till today, and last Fri, it has rained every stinkin day. That means, I realy need to clean up plaster dust!!

Hope you like what you see, Mark
Old May 27, 2012, 10:15 PM
Brian
United States, SC, Pelzer
Joined May 2012
26 Posts
Fuse assembly

Hi Mark,
Enjoying the build. Hope this is the place to ask this and I guess there are several ways to do it. I've been a balsa builder all my life but the foam seems to be much faster and cheaper and am planning on trying one soon.

Question: when assembling the fuselage sections, do you tack glue a template front and back to the section then rough it out to the templates, then do the next section and the next, etc? And then do you remove the templates, join the section by the C/L and then finish it off? I know its a newby question, but just trying to understand the "birthing" process.
Thanks
Brian
cobrajockey is offline Find More Posts by cobrajockey
Old May 27, 2012, 10:42 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,762 Posts
Nice looking plug Mark.

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old May 27, 2012, 11:03 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,977 Posts
Great question. Once you have your "subject", what scale? Now depending on what plane or plan your working from, each section has its own thickness. On this one the first two sections were different than the rest. On the templates, once I blew them up to my scale, I need to print out 4 full sets to make sure I got one of each. ( If you saw thePDF I worked from, they all overlap, that's why 4 sets. I cut mine with a hot wire, and paper templates won't work. I just got a sheet of counter top material, and traced them out.( material was 30" x72" and around $11.00) Now here's the fun part, now you need to cut and sand them. I have an old dremel scroll saw, and a 1" verticle belt sander, saves tons of time.

The plan should have horizontal and vertical reference lines. When making the template, these have to be EXACT, on the nut, or don't even bother. On each template I drilled holes in them,put roofing nails into foam, lined them up with the reference lines. You also need to put them on the foam.

To do this, is not hard, but expect to spend a great deal of time to make sure ever thing is perfect, I mean perfect. When you cut paper templares, fold them on vertical center line to make sure both halfs are the same. ( No lop sided fuse).

When it comes to the foam, make a block to the size you need. This part is almost the most critical, these have to be perfectly square. I ran mine through a table saw for the right width, then used 3M 77 to glue them together. Now you should have a square block, however long. I built a jig to cut the block in slices, and even though I measured for square many times, they still came out uneven thickness. Best if you know someone with a large bandsaw.

It's a ton of work, but if you are artistic, read some of John Morgans threads in the pusher prop edf forums, he cuts his free hand and they come out great!!!

Check out this one. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=771365
Good Luck
Old May 27, 2012, 11:13 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,977 Posts
Thank You John. I have made my fair share of mistakes on this already! Need to get it glassed tonight yet. Starting to see some cracks in the plaster, due to the fact I had tried out the Elmes Rubber Cement to glue the block together, just not as good as "77".

The one thing that I had noticed while checking out all the F-86 threads here on RCG, there are no other scratch builds of an F-86.
Last edited by CoolerByTheLake; May 27, 2012 at 11:19 PM.
Old May 28, 2012, 08:42 AM
michigan jet guy
USA, MI, Caledonia
Joined Jul 2007
1,107 Posts
looking great mark. Phil
mrshea is offline Find More Posts by mrshea
Old May 28, 2012, 09:19 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,977 Posts
I did manage to get it glass last night. Not quite the quality job I had hoped for, but it will pass. This layer of glass is more for protection against dings, and taking care of the humps and bumps. It's a good thing too, I found my glassing skills need improvement. In a nut shell, I wasn't as prepared as I had thought. And my scale for measuring resin is not up to task. A new one on the way.

The last time I did any real glass work was over 40 years ago, and I forgot one major rule.. Never, ever, sand fiberglass in a short sleeve shirt.
Old May 29, 2012, 01:05 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,257 Posts
looking good and i hear you on you just finally have to go with it ....no matter how hard i try i always find a improfections
Last edited by AIR SALLY; May 29, 2012 at 11:40 PM.
Old May 29, 2012, 01:16 AM
Joined Dec 2008
5,977 Posts
Rodger, does the intake pass?
Old May 29, 2012, 11:41 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,257 Posts
YYEEEPPP!
Old May 30, 2012, 12:38 AM
Joined Dec 2008
5,977 Posts
Thanks Rodger I hoped it would pass your muster
Finally found what the full size wheels are--mains-26x6.6.
Nosewheel is 22 x 7.25 inch.
Thanks to:
Duncan Curtis
F-86 Sabre Historian

On my quest for more info on the F-86F, I must have passed this by many times. I don't know when or where it was taken, but if you like the F-86, it's worth your time. Best watched from YouTube.

Bob Hoover is considered one of the founding fathers of modern aerobatics, and was described by Jimmy Doolittle as, "... the greatest stick-and-rudder man who ever lived."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=TRt6UnNzR6I#!