HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 24, 2012, 11:45 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,936 Posts
or put a piece of 1/8 " balsa "shim" btween each station .make it smaller than your template and fill with light weight spackel....now how did i know about that .... i have the T shirt on that one
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 25, 2012, 01:38 AM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,604 Posts
That would be a lot of balsa! Already done with it. Picked up a can 3M-77, just big blocks, again.
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Apr 25, 2012, 11:31 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,604 Posts
Just to let you know I'm still working out some details. But a teaser pic. This is just a rough cut, not final sections.
Last edited by CoolerByTheLake; Apr 25, 2012 at 11:52 PM.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 12:43 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,936 Posts
i know the "A"'s had a glass nose ring ,and later models had a stamped alum one but i think the shape was the same .....hand drawn 3 views may be different.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 05:10 PM
ich bauen groß modell flugzeug
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,834 Posts
Subbed
Keenan smith is offline Find More Posts by Keenan smith
Old Apr 28, 2012, 06:50 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,604 Posts
Good news, all foam sections are now cut. Just need to draw out the reference lines for assembly, and glue together. Does, how ever need a basic sanding before I will put up some pics. With any luck, in a few hours. Mark
Old Apr 28, 2012, 10:45 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,604 Posts
In all it's glory!!!

Not what I had hoped for! But it is what it is, and will have to work with it. At least the intake looks good!. Now I remember why I dislike sanding white foam, it's every where. Get some mud on it tonight, and work on tail piece tommorrow. Mark
Old Apr 28, 2012, 10:56 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,936 Posts
getting there ,look at a lot of pics while your sanding . the nose looks a little square kinda like a fury inlet ....maybe it's just the photo.having a plastic model near by help too. lot of work but something you can take pride in
Old Apr 28, 2012, 11:34 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,604 Posts
Thanks, AIR SALLY. The first two sections are on by double faced tape, just for that reason. The lower part of the intake didn't look quite right, wrong slope. I will work it out. Saw that video that stuarti had on the JetFan thread, of his F-86, moves right along. Will keep pluging along.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 09:14 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,604 Posts
Intake assesment

After spending much time today, looking at this sad excuse for a F-86F fuse, I came up with a couple of pics, that better suit the intake area. ( Nose/intake remind's me of the giant worm in the Star Wars movie) Both are from F-86F's. The slick thing on the "Sky Balzers" intake is, after blowing up pic, that at the blue band, it's the exact same heigth as the section it would go in, and same station location. Convienent! Which do you like?
Old Apr 29, 2012, 10:59 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,936 Posts
i like the balzer ...i see they really kinda look diff.....it could be the plosihed one is cause the diff.could be the inlet plug is reflecting more light inside the duct
Old Apr 29, 2012, 11:19 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,604 Posts
The Blazer was my choice also. Just finished a template to shape outline and now to start sanding!

I have been getting all my pics, here--http://www.airliners.net/ They have 53 pages of just the F-86--all variants. Just about any angel shot you want , should be there.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 05:27 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,936 Posts
i use that one too.
Old May 13, 2012, 07:52 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,604 Posts
It's been a while, so time to report in. Finally, finally, I think I got the nose/intake to look like it should. Must have re-made it 4-5 times, but I'm OK with it! The next thing that puzzled me was the tail fairing. I know it looks out of proportion in the pic. I must have looked at hundreds of pics, 3-views, even got some pic's from stuarti, in the JETFAN thread, his is slightly smaller, and this is what it should be. Might be the "PINK". Still pretty rough, but plaster covers a lot, quick!

Havn't worked it out quite yet, but would like to incorporate the sub fin on the tail fairing. Will cut out for wing after fuse is done like the way J Morgan has done his. Have some ideas on how to do the hatch, and nose gear doors. Mark
Old May 16, 2012, 04:27 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,604 Posts
Fuse is starting to look pretty nice. Would like some input on what you might think for an airfoil. I have come up with a couple I think might work well. The original is a N.A.C.A. 0009.5-64( don't know what the 64 is?) so I came up with a modified one from profili, just about the same. The other is one that the FLYFLY F-86 uses, RG-14. any thoughts?